So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, that is the common usage of the word.
Evolutionists have their own definition of it?
I would suggest that they discard the term completely in order not to give a counterproductive impression to the general public who does perceive it that way.
If you're relying on "common usage" for your scientific understandings...

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well, that is the common usage of the word.
Evolutionists have their own definition of it?
I would suggest that they discard the term completely in order not to give a counterproductive impression to the general public who does perceive it that way.
Who you wish perceived it that way.

Who you wish could be encouraged to confuse the two common meanings of the term:

Design as organization to a function, and design as purpose or intention.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That the eyes work perfectly as they were
intended to do. Any other type of eye may
be useful in certain circumstances, but ours
are the best for seeing not only optimally, but
being able to see beauty in all of nature.

"instead of being a great disadvantage, or a “curse” or being incorrectly constructed, the inverted retina is a tremendous advance in function and design compared with the simple and less complicated verted arrangement. One problem amongst many, for evolutionists, is to explain how this abrupt major retinal transformation from the verted type in invertebrates to the inverted vertebrate model came about as nothing in paleontology offers any support. (Hamilton 1985, p. 63)"
https://answersingenesis.org/human-body/eyes/the-human-retina-shows-evidence-of-good-design/

Its not a problem at all. The eyes of invertebrates evolved separately from the eyes of vertebrates. Each happened, by chance, to arrive at the pattern they arrived at in the beginning of the eye evolution and kept it all the way through.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Who you wish perceived it that way.

Who you wish could be encouraged to confuse the two common meanings of the term:

Design as organization to a function, and design as purpose or intention.
Not at all. The word itself conveys that concept regardless of how I might feel about it.
That is why it is counterproductive for atheists to use it.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by backwards design and forwards design of the retina?
Design implies a designer or a planning mind. Perhaps you should use another word. . . . .

Those who choose to deliberately misunderstand the meaning of the word usage may sin by playing on that notion. I choose to not sin in that way. However, to thwart such sinners, one could speak of the "construction pattern" of the retina.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. The word itself conveys that concept regardless of how I might feel about it.

Please remember that not every person who accepts evolution is an atheist.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Wrong. The word "design" can convey either meaning. It's not your property and you don't get to restrict who can use it if the commonly understood meanings do not suit your rhetorical purposes. If you insist that the word "design" can only imply purpose or intention you are being dishonest.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Can you explain how that "degeneration" occurred without an evolutionary mechanism?

"All adult mosquitoes feed on the nectar or honey dew of plants to get sugar, and that provides enough nourishment for both males and females to live, but females also need to produce eggs. To create eggs, females need protein, which they get from the blood of animals. Only a few species of mosquitoes can store enough energy as larvae, to produce eggs when they're adults, without needing a meal of blood. "
http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/mosquitoes-eat.html

How doesn't matter for the purpose of
discussion here. Only the fact that it did
happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"All adult mosquitoes feed on the nectar or honey dew of plants to get sugar, and that provides enough nourishment for both males and females to live, but females also need to produce eggs. To create eggs, females need protein, which they get from the blood of animals. Only a few species of mosquitoes can store enough energy as larvae, to produce eggs when they're adults, without needing a meal of blood. "
http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/mosquitoes-eat.html

How doesn't matter for the purpose of
discussion here. Only the fact that it did
happen.
"How" is precisely the point of the discussion here. I can show the mechanism I'm endorsing. You need to be able to show one for yours if you're claiming yours explains the available evidence better.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's a good short resource illustrating the current thinking on the eye, with examples of the simplistic two celled eye.
Good luck.

"But what about the stages between those stages? See evolution can't explain anything!" in 3...2...

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I NEVER MADE THAT CLAIM.

Here are your words:

See the word "atheists" right there?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
"How" is precisely the point of the discussion here. I can show the mechanism I'm endorsing. You need to be able to show one for yours if you're claiming yours explains the available evidence better.

What you can do is create a myth of how
things could have happened, but only
God knows exactly what happened, when
and how.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
True. But I am not claiming that all evolutionists are atheists in that sentence am I?

Why even mention them? We are talking about evolutionists, not atheists. To mention them gives the appearance of equating them in this context.

Upvote 0

Wunderlust

Sep 19, 2016
America
✟17,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I am saying is that it takes brains and intelligent design to create the organic chemistry needed for tasks such as eye functions.

You have yet to prove that. I think it is an issue of you not understanding eye evolution, and reverting to primitive magical thinking to explain it.

We'd all be in dark caves right not eating raw meat if people kept answering all questions with "God did it."

Upvote 0