The expression..

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
God uses the expression "gathered to his people" to Moses and then God buries Moses in an unknown spot. So does "gathered to his people" have more to do with "Abraham's bosom", the promise of a resurrection gathering.

Gen 32:50 Then die on the mountain where you ascend, and be gathered to your people, as Aaron your brother died on Mount Hor and was gathered for his people,

Deut 34:6 And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The expression "gathered to his people" or "to go to his fathers".....
Abraham (Gen 15:15; 25:8) Abraham (Gen 25:10)

Is this about the death and resurrection?
Expressions like that are one of the reasons I use the many translations on www.biblegateway.com and various commentaries. Simply looking at the way one group of translators thought a phrase should have been read is pretty limiting.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
(15) Thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace.--Abram's ancestors had died in Babylonia, but the phrase, used here for the first time, evidently involves the thought of the immortality of the soul. The body may be buried far away, but the soul joins the company of its forefathers in some separate abode, not to be absorbed, but still to enjoy a personal existence. (Comp. Genesis 25:8.) A similar, but more exact, distinction between the body and the spirit is drawn in Ecclesiastes 12:7.

Genesis 15 Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
(15) Thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace.--Abram's ancestors had died in Babylonia, but the phrase, used here for the first time, evidently involves the thought of the immortality of the soul. The body may be buried far away, but the soul joins the company of its forefathers in some separate abode, not to be absorbed, but still to enjoy a personal existence. (Comp. Genesis 25:8.) A similar, but more exact, distinction between the body and the spirit is drawn in Ecclesiastes 12:7.

Genesis 15 Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
Maybe that understand changes with "HIS people"

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe that understand changes with "HIS people"

It could, depending on context.
Being gathered to his people could mean his bones
being taken to bury with his family group. Joseph's
bones were carried into Israel and buried there.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

It certainly speaks of death, but doesn't imply resurrection. The concept of resurrection was not around in Abraham's day.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
It certainly speaks of death, but doesn't imply resurrection. The concept of resurrection was not around in Abraham's day.
Abraham's bosom was the heart felt promise of promised land... aka eternity with God. It is a figurative phrase that appears to have been drawn from a popular belief that the righteous would rest by Abraham's side in the world to come. Given that... 'gathered to his people' or 'go to his fathers' can be both... in death and in the promise of the tomorrow after the resurrection.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Abraham's bosom was the heart felt promise of promised land... aka eternity with God. It is a figurative phrase that appears to have been drawn from a popular belief that the righteous would rest by Abraham's side in the world to come. Given that... 'gathered to his people' or 'go to his fathers' can be both... in death and in the promise of the tomorrow after the resurrection.
Yes, but this idea came much, much later in history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums