Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Argument for popularity is irrelevant. Evolution is valid because it can be tested and verified. Creationism can not.

Creation doesn't need to be 'verified'. It either is or it isn't. I vote "is".

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you admitting to being closed minded?

In many ways, yes, and that's one of them. Closed minded in that I have set my direction and won't be led off my path. I am open to better ways of accomplishing my goals (for whatever that's worth).

There's more at stake here than meets the eye, which I'm afraid has already been blinded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Creation doesn't need to be 'verified'. It either is or it isn't. I vote "is".

As soon as you say that it doesn't need to be verified, it loses all credibility as a valid explanation.

I say "is not." Thus creationism is false. Case closed.

See how it doesn't work when you ignore verification?

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As soon as you say that it doesn't need to be verified, it loses all credibility as a valid explanation.

I say "is not." Thus creationism is false. Case closed.

See how it doesn't work when you ignore verification?

Believing evolution wouldn't work for me. I don't have the right mindset.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you think being closed minded is a good thing?

In many respects, yes. Once your mind is made up about something you can get on with your life. Believing evolution is incompatible with the way my mind works. It would like throwing a wrench into the gears. :eek:

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Believing evolution wouldn't work for me. I don't have the right mindset.

Do you think truth is determined by the mindset you have? If so, how can two people with two different mindsets have two different truths? Does the world work in different ways for each of them?

In many respects, yes. Once your mind is made up about something you can get on with your life. Believing evolution is incompatible with the way my mind works. It would like throwing a wrench into the gears. :eek:

But what if you are wrong? Don't you think it's better to be open to new ideas, and then to accept those new ideas if testing shows them to be correct?

What you're describing seems to be intellectual laziness. You've decided on something and you don't want to examine it critically because if you do you might have to change your worldview and you can't be bothered.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But what if you are wrong? Don't you think it's better to be open to new ideas, and then to accept those new ideas if testing shows them to be correct?

IMHO, you're encountering the psychological divide between creationists and non-creationists. One aspect of this is need for closure. Those with high need for closure don't tolerate uncertainty and tend to be more closed off to new ideas. Not surprisingly, studies show that religious fundamentalists/creationists have higher need for for closure than most.

Being open to new ideas means accepting a degree of uncertainty about things. For those with high need for closure, that uncertainty is uncomfortable.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IMHO, you're encountering the psychological divide between creationists and non-creationists. One aspect of this is need for closure. Those with high need for closure don't tolerate uncertainty and tend to be more closed off to new ideas. Not surprisingly, studies show that religious fundamentalists/creationists have higher need for for closure than most.

Being open to new ideas means accepting a degree of uncertainty about things. For those with high need for closure, that uncertainty is uncomfortable.

In my case uncertainty equals disorder. But you have made a good point.

I'll fall back on my oft quoted example of the shopping carts. There is one way and only one way to put them away...neatly and in order. Any other way is disorder, and is a reflection of the thinking, or lack of, by most. Sadly this kind of 'thinking' is reflected by all levels of society.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Interesting point. I like the closure I get with verifiable facts though, I'm curious as to why creationists don't also appreciate the strength that verification lends to an argument.

• Winner
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In my case uncertainty equals disorder. But you have made a good point.

I'll fall back on my oft quoted example of the shopping carts. There is one way and only one way to put them away...neatly and in order. Any other way is disorder, and is a reflection of the thinking, or lack of, by most. Sadly this kind of 'thinking' is reflected by all levels of society.

Of course, if someone says that they have a way of putting them away that is neater and more orderly, AND they have a way to demonstrate that their way is neater and more orderly than yours, are you going to ignore them?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course, if someone says that they have a way of putting them away that is neater and more orderly, AND they have a way to demonstrate that their way is neater and more orderly than yours, are you going to ignore them?

There is only one way to properly organize shopping carts. It's the way you almost never see. ;)

I'm always exploring better ways of doing things. I'm known for my innovations and efficiency.

Just the other day I developed a new technique for flossing teeth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is only one way to properly organize shopping carts. It's the way you almost never see. ;)

I'm always exploring better ways of doing things. I'm known for my innovations and efficiency.

Just the other day I developed a new technique for flossing teeth.

So why is it that you are open to some new things, but not to others?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist

Interesting that there is a strong correlation between conservative views and intolerance of uncertainty, novelty, and change. This supports the expectation that we should find a greater percentage of fundamentalists and creationists among conservatives.

• Agree
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Juvenal

Radical strawberry
Feb 8, 2005
Georgia
✟35,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I see a number of Christian and non-believers subscribe to the notion of evolution. It is my opinion that evolution is impossible, and I believe my opinion is supported by (the Bible and) DNA.

Interesting.

I believe the bible tells us a great deal about the worldview of its authors at the time it was put together. I don't believe it says anything about what we've since learned about the origins of our species. And more particularly, I don't believe the original authors would have wanted people living thousands of years in their future to be constrained by the limits of their understanding of the natural world.

It's not just a number of Christians who accept that we evolved. It's most of them. The majority. And more than that, it's unreasonable to expect them to accommodate your beliefs when they so clearly stand in the way of evangelization. Those who preach the denial of evolution create an insuperable hurdle for those of us who, like them, have become convinced by evidence that could never be explained by the creation stories of Genesis.

Insisting on untruths about things we can see makes it impossible for us to believe you when you speak of things that cannot be seen.

Most of your fellow Christians understand this. A majority.

I have a question for those who actually think evolution is real: can you please explain to me, using Darwinian logic, how and why the plethora of tasty and nutritious plants, vegetables and fruits evolved?

Because, if they weren't tasty, we wouldn't eat them, and then, we'd die.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0