Simply fantastical!
Oct 9, 2005
✟15,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
...On your work.

Here's a new thread for us, since I'm so happy we're coming to life again. In what ways have books, movies, music, or whatever else affected your writery ideas? I'm not one for fanfiction or working with pre-made characters, but sometimes watching a war movie makes me want to write a battle scene, as does listening to epic, soundtracky music. If I read a book in present tense, I usually end up going and writing a short story in it right afterward.

I could probably go on and on, but I won't right now. :p I'm curious to hear what others think and experience.

liesje

Singing in the rain
Aug 30, 2008
✟17,066.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...On your work.

Here's a new thread for us, since I'm so happy we're coming to life again. In what ways have books, movies, music, or whatever else affected your writery ideas? I'm not one for fanfiction or working with pre-made characters, but sometimes watching a war movie makes me want to write a battle scene, as does listening to epic, soundtracky music. If I read a book in present tense, I usually end up going and writing a short story in it right afterward.

I could probably go on and on, but I won't right now. :p I'm curious to hear what others think and experience.

I was going to start a thread like this!!! Yeah, I don't work with premade characters either, and I try as much as possible to make my writing my own. I got really depressed about writing for a while, you know the whole this is never going to work out but then one night I was watching the movie of eragon, and I was inspired by the fact that the book was written by a 15 year old. That got me back into my writing, but hasn't influenced what I write, other than that I started to write a sort of fantasy, but its deliberately quite different to other fantasies I've read. I started writing a story in quite a Georgette Heyer'ish style, but that didn't really work out. Watching war scenes definitley makes me want to write about one though. I guess whatever I've just watched or read has some influence on what I write at the time. I don't tend to listen to music while I write...though that could be because I usually write late at night:doh:

Upvote 0

Peace Eternal

constantlylackingsleep
Mar 23, 2005
A Yellow Submarine
✟1,281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...On your work.

Movies and books have both influenced my writing, and still do :) There was a time when I couldn't write half a page without it sounding like Tolkien or Lewis or Austen, which made me really depressed for awhile, because it was like I was an uncreative person. But music is really what inspires me the most. My favorite song to listen to while writing at the moment is 'The Call' that's played at the end of the new narnia movie.

Upvote 0

NeoScribe

This is it.
Apr 12, 2006
That one place...
✟16,206.00
Faith
Christian
Media, whether movies, videogames, or someone else's writing have always had a profound effect on me. I can easily trace my current work to its roots as a LOTR inspired spark in my brain. And my newer stories were inspired by characters or events in a tv show. The fun part is taking that spark and turning it into something of my own. I saw a lemon and went home to make lemonade! Or something like that...

Upvote 0