keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is a series of books by Jim Butcher. Pretty good in my opinion. Now some Christians will demonize it as the lead character, Harry Dresden, is a wizard.

I find it fun reading. The only thing that bothers me is that he is repeating some background over and over. Honestly he is striking a pretty good balance, but I'm reading 3 or 4 books back to back and what is a nice reminder for someone who reads them at the same pace they were published is a minor bother for one reading back to back.

This is fantasy, but in our world and our time. Magic works (for those with the talent) and there are other hidden realms. It has twists on the traditional, but is well grounded in the traditional myths.

One huge plus is that there are many books and each comes to an end. A real end. If one were to compare it to a war then each book is a battle. Some battles include the death of major players, others do not, but the battle ends, even as the war goes on.

And for the Christians who can see past the "It has Magic" issue, it is very arguable that the onlytruely good character is a Christian. Personally I think of Harry as one of the few good people, but he does have his flaws. A couple of Christian characters have fewer flaws and live up to the image of Christians being 'little Christs'.

His other works are pretty good too. If yuo try it and like it yuo have found many books to read. Well worth the risk.

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've enjoyed the Dresden Files books I've read or listened to on Audio Books. James Marsters (Spike from Buffy fame) has one of the best narration voices I have ever heard. A real plasure to listen to and it made listening to the audiobook more fun.

Upvote 0