Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Romans 7:
Know ye not, brethren, for I speak to them that know the law,
that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?

We are set free from the Law not just by the death and resurrection of Christ,
but by obedience to the apostolic doctrines in the Body of Christ.

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ,
that you may be married to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.

We judge ourselves by the standard IN CHRIST, as members of His Body

Colossians 2:
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day,
or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body of Christ.

Newness of Life in Christ is found in His Body
1 Corinthians 12:
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these
we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together,
having given more abundant honor to that part which lacked.
25 That there should be no schism in the body;
but that the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it;
or one member be honored, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Romans 7:
Know ye not, brethren, for I speak to them that know the law,

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ,
that you may be married to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.

Colossians 2:
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day,

1 Corinthians 12:
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:
23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these
we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.
So being married to the greatest law keeper our world has ever known means that we are to not do anything like our spouse. That's the strangest definition of marriage I've ever known. Do exactly the opposite of who your spouse is. That sounds to me like a guarantee for a short marriage and a very long divorce as it is total incompatibility. In fact I've never known two people that incompatible to ever marry.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
We are set free from the Law
The flesh is not able to keep the law of God. This has to be the Grace of God working in us. So that we fulfill the righteous requirements of the law.

Matthew5
The Fulfillment of the Law
16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. 17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.…

Jesus adds to what we receive from Moses. He does not take anything away from the Torah. Liberals want to do the same with our constitution. They want to make it null and of no effect.

burning-constitution.jpg

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Romans 7:
1 Know ye not, brethren, for I speak to them that know the law,

In Romans 7:25, Paul contrasted serving the Law of God with his mind with serving the law of sin with his flesh, so it, so it should at least be worth considering which law we are free from. In Romans 6:19-23, we are no longer to present ourselves as salves to impurity, lawlessness, and sin, but are now to present ourselves as slaves to God and to righteousness leading to sanctification and the goal of sanctification is eternal life in Christ, so obedience to the Law of God is the content of His git of eternal life, so interpreting Romans 7:1-4 as saying that we are set free from the Law of God is the same as saying that we have been set free from eternal life in Christ. Moreover, at no point was the woman set free from needing to obey the Law of God and if she were to get married to another man after the death of her first husband, then she would still be required to refrain from adultery.

Colossians 2:

1 Corinthians 12:
In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, so those who are not walking in obedience to the Law of God should not consider the verses that you quoted to be speaking about them.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The flesh is not able to keep the law of God. This has to be the Grace of God working in us. So that we fulfill the righteous requirements of the law.

Matthew5
The Fulfillment of the Law
16In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. 17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.…

Jesus adds to what we receive from Moses. He does not take anything away from the Torah. Liberals want to do the same with our constitution. They want to make it null and of no effect.

View attachment 333900
In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from the Torah, so Jesus did not do either.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from the Torah, so Jesus did not do either.
Deuteronomy 18:15 22 Moses said, 'The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you.

Mark 12:30 " And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."

Deuteronomy 6:5
And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

Moses said: Heart, Soul & Strength. Jesus said Heart, Soul, Mind and Strength.

Jesus added the word MIND to what we receive from Moses.

How do you explain Jesus adding to what we receive from Moses?
I agree that NO ONE adds to Moses except for Jesus.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Deuteronomy 18:15 22 Moses said, 'The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you.

Mark 12:30 " And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."

And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

I agree that NO ONE adds to Moses except for Jesus,
So you're implying Jesus, and thus the Father, are both sinners? If you weren't I don't understand the point of your post.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I agree that NO ONE adds to Moses except for Jesus.
That is more of an issue of explaining the Hebrew Torah in Greek rather than making changes to it.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
That is more of an issue of explaining the Hebrew Torah in Greek rather than making changes to it.
The only thing we need to worry about in the New Testament are the words of Jesus in red letters. Everything else we can go back to Moses because no one adds to what we receive from Moses.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
The only thing we need to worry about in the New Testament are the words of Jesus in red letters. Everything else we can go back to Moses because no one adds to what we receive from Moses.
There has never been a person other than Jesus whose teachings were more thoroughly rooted in the OT. The same God who gave the law to Moses also sent Jesus to bless us by teaching us to obey it, so there is no disagreement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So being married to the greatest law keeper our world has ever known means that we are to not do anything like our spouse.

Jesus Christ was never under the law of Moses.

Jesus Christ is a High Priest according to the order of Melchizedek.

JLB

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There has never been a person other than Jesus whose teachings were more thoroughly rooted in the OT. The same God who gave the law to Moses also sent Jesus to bless us by teaching us to obey it, so there is no disagreement.

We are not under the law of Moses.

The law of Moses was abolished at the cross.

We are under the law of Christ, which is stricter than the law of Moses.

Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? Hebrews 10:28-29

JLB

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is God’s Law now? It is not above a Christian—it is under a Christian. Some men hold God’s Law like a rod in terror over Christians and say, “If you sin you will be punished with it.” It is not so. The Law is under a Christian. It is for him to walk on, to be his guide, his rule, his pattern. “We are not under the Law, but under Grace.” Law is the road which guides us, not the rod which drives us, nor the spirit which actuates us. The Law is good and excellent if it keeps its place.
-Charles Spurgeon

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
We are not under the law of Moses.
God is sovereign, so the whole world is under His law and obligated to refrain from doing what it reveals to be sin, otherwise the whole world would not be accountable to Him.

The law of Moses was abolished at the cross.
In Matthew 5:17-19, Jesus said that he came not to abolish the Mosaic Law and warned against relaxing to least part of it or teaching others to do that, so by saying that it was abolished at the cross, you are calling him a liar and disregarding his warning. Likewise, in Romans, Paul confirmed that our faith does not abolish the Mosaic Law, but rather our faith upholds it. In Titus 2:14, it doesn't say that Jesus gave himself to abolish the Mosaic Law, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through the cross (Acts 21:20). Instructions for how to act in accordance with God's nature can't be abolished without first abolishing God.

We are under the law of Christ, which is stricter than the law of Moses.
In John 14:24, Christ said that his teachings were not his own, but that of the Father, so he did not teach a stricter law in disagreement with what the Father had instructed. In John 15:10, Jesus used a parallel statement to equate his commands with those of the Father. In Deuteronomy 4:2, it is a sin to add to or subtract from the Mosaic Law, so Jesus did not do that, and even if he could have raised the bar without sinned and disqualifying himself as our Savior, that would mean that we should still obey the Mosaic Law plus whatever it is that he raised the bar to.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Christ began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message. Furthermore, Christ set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law, and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). So Christ spent his ministry teaching his follower how to obey the Mosaic Law by word and by example and it would be absurd to think that that the Law of Christ was something other than or contrary to following anything that Christ taught. God is not in disagreement with Himself about which laws we should follow, so the Law of Christ is the same as the Law of the Spirit and the Law of the Father, which was given to Moses.

Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? Hebrews 10:28-29

JLB
Indeed, the New Covenant involves God putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts (Jeremiah 31:33), taking away our hearts of stone, giving us hearts of flesh, and sending His Spirit to lead us to obey the Mosaic Law (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and being gracious to us by teaching us to obey it (Titus 2:11-14).

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What is God’s Law now? It is not above a Christian—it is under a Christian. Some men hold God’s Law like a rod in terror over Christians and say, “If you sin you will be punished with it.” It is not so. The Law is under a Christian. It is for him to walk on, to be his guide, his rule, his pattern. “We are not under the Law, but under Grace.” Law is the road which guides us, not the rod which drives us, nor the spirit which actuates us. The Law is good and excellent if it keeps its place.
-Charles Spurgeon
In Romans 6:14, Paul described the law that we are not under as being a law where sin had dominion over us, which does not describe the Law of God, which is a law where holiness, righteousness, and goodness have dominion over us (Romans 7:12), but rather it is the law of sin where sin had dominion over us. In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faithfulness by setting His law before him, so this is what it means to be under grace, and this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace through faith. Moreover, in Romans 6:15, being under grace does not mean that we are permitted to sin, and sin is the transgression of the Law of God (1 John 3:4), so we are still under it and obligated to obey it. In addition, everything else in Romans 6 speaks in favor of obedience to the Law of God and against sin.

Reactions: lanceleo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums