The Doctrine of Baptisms.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Doctrine of Baptisms:
(Hebrews 6:2)

Baptisms God does upon us after we have received God’s grace through faith:
(According to His Word):

#1. The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Jesus Christ and the church at salvation “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body...” (1 Corinthians 12:13). The head of the body is Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:18).

#2. Jesus baptizes us into the Holy Ghost, “he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost..” (Matthew 3:11). This is the downpayment of our inheritance (Ephesians 1:14).

#3. Jesus baptizes us with fire over the whole course of our life (i.e. Jesus tests our faith, and refines us to live a holy life) (Matthew 3:11). I see this as a part of the Sanctification Process over the course of our lives as believers to live a holy life and or as different testings of our faith by the Lord to refine us and to purge the branch to bring forth more fruit. As the silversmith uses fire to purge the dross from the precious metal, so the Lord seeks to remove sin from a believer’s life (Psalms 66:10; Proverbs 17:3). His fire cleanses and refines. “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:” (1 Peter 1:7).

Baptism of Jesus that was a part of fulfilling all righteousness:
(This is a part of our believing Jesus is the spotless Lamb who died in our place):

#4. Jesus' baptism in the Jordan river to fulfill all righteousness. “Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.” (Matthew 3:13-15).

Baptism of Noah (A Figurative Type):
(Showing us the parallel between Noah & his family being saved by water vs. how baptism saves us in having an answer of a good conscience towards God):

#5. 1 Peter 3:21 says: “The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:”

I believe Noah and his family were saved by the water in the sense that the old evil world of sinful people were erased from their past (never to be remembered again because they had been washed away by the flood waters). They were saved by water by never again seeing these evil people. They no longer had to deal with their sins being pushed on them anymore. This is a parallel of our being water baptized in that we are giving an answer to God in having an already clean conscience before Him. Meaning, we do not have to recall our past life of sin because it has been forgiven (never to be remembered), and we can declare to God our conscience is clean (our past life of sin is washed away).

Baptisms that Apply as a Form of Performance or Work in the Christian Life:

#6. Water baptism in the name of Jesus. This is the one baptism in Ephesians 4:5. (Note: Matthew 28:19 is saying to be baptized in the name (singular) that represents all three persons of the Godhead or Trinity; This name is Jesus. For the fulness of the Godhead dwells in the man Christ Jesus - Colossians 2:9, and Jesus is the name above all names - Philippians 2:9. Believers should be baptized in the name of Jesus just as the apostles had done with others. To see the symbolic picture of water baptism check out my post #2 below.

#7. Baptism unto death, “But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.” Matthew 20:22. Luke 12:50 says, “But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!” Just as Jesus partook of the baptism of death by dying on the cross for us, we are also to die to ourselves.

Baptisms that Do not Apply as a Form of Performance or Work in the Christian Life:

#8. The baptism unto Moses: “And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea” (1 Corinthians 10:2).

#9. Baptisms of the Levite Priests (See: Exodus 29:4) (Leviticus 8:6).
Part 1 of Old Covenant or Jewish "diverse washings" (which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

#10. Baptisms of Lepers (See: Leviticus 14:8-9) (2 Kings 5:10-14).
Part 2 of the Old Covenant or Jewish “diverse washings” (Which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

#11. The baptism of John with water unto repentance “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance:” (Matthew 3:11). Note: This baptism applied only to those believers during the time of Jesus before the cross. Note 2: Christians who have time to live out their faith do need to repent, though. For, “God…now commandeth all men every where to repent…” (See: Acts of the Apostles 17:30).

#12. The Baptism of Healing in the Pool of Bethesda (See: John 5:1-9).
Important Note: Please keep in mind that the healing of the Lord Jesus Christ is far superior.

Last edited:
Reactions: tturt

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some Christian websites mention a “baptism of the dead” from 1 Corinthians 15:29; They think this is a completely different baptism but there is not enough information on it to talk about it. But this is simply a lack of their not understanding Scripture.

Romans 6:3-9 gives us the symbolic picture and reason behind baptism. When many in the early church first received Christ, they were quickly water baptized thereafter. When they did this, they were also symbolically being baptized into Christ’s death (i.e. likeness of his death - See: Romans 6:5). I say it is symbolic because walking in newness of life in Romans 6:4 is compared to the likeness (symbolic picture or parallel) of the resurrection (Romans 6:5).

Anyways, the baptism of the dead in 1 Corinthians 15:29 is the symbolic picture of our dying with Christ when we partake of our baptism (i.e. water baptism done in the name of Jesus).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe the one baptism is in context to something we need to do. This is water baptism (According to the context of Ephesians 4:5) and it is a symbolic picture we must partake in if we live out our faith that represents the reality of our being buried (or crucified) with Christ by our life long actions until the end. Baptism symbolizes death. Death to ourselves (of which we need to live out in our faith by following His Word).

In Romans 6: It talks about Walking in newness of life as being symbolic (or in the likeness) of the resurrection. Walking in newness of life is different than the act of water baptism. Walking in newness of life (living righteously - like helping the poor, preaching the gospel, loving the brethren in deeds) is the symbolic picture of the resurrection. Every righteous action a believer does for the LORD is putting on Christ or clothing oneself with Christ. Romans 13:14 says, “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.” This includes even baptism (That we must partake of as a part of living out our faith). This is why Galatians 3:27 says, “many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ” (i.e. you have clothed yourself with Christ). But baptism is just one link in the chain of our righteous acts we need to do for the LORD After we are saved by God’s grace without works (Ephesians 2:8-9) (Titus 3:5). This is why Paul and Silas told the jail keeper to just believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved and they did not tell him to come to their house to baptized in order to be saved (i.e. saved initially).

But baptism is a righteous act that is about crucifying yourself, and or being buried with Christ. Other righteous acts we do are symbolic of the resurrection.

Now, some may say baptism means being born of water but baptism symbolizes death in Scripture and not life. For if there is no resurrection then we are yet still in our sins. If we die to ourselves but don’t live righteously (walking in newness of life is likeness of resurrection - Romans 6)… we are not going to make it into the Kingdom.

Being born of water is being born by the Word of God (The Scriptures). Scripture describes how there is the washing of the WATER of the Word in Ephesians 5:25-27 (Which is Scripture). Jesus said His words are spirit (spiritual) and they are life. Peter talks about how we are born not of corruptible seed but by the incorruptible seed which is the Word of God (See: 1 Peter 1:23, 2 Peter 2:2). For faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17). The Scriptures become alive to a person when they are born again and they regard the Bible as the very words of God (See: 1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Water baptism does not save but it is a necessity of the faith in our Sanctification:

Peter says baptism saves us not for the putting away of the filth of the flesh in 1 Peter 3:21.
Focus on the words “filth of the flesh” and what that could mean according to the Bible elsewhere.
According to 2 Corinthians 7:1 a similar phrase is clearly in reference to sin and not dirt.
2 Corinthians 7:1 says let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

So Peter is basically saying, baptism saves us not for the putting away of sin, but it saves us to give an answer to having an already clean and good conscience before God (When we first believed the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4). Paul and Silas told the jailor to just believe on Jesus and be saved. They did not say for him to get baptized to be saved. Romans 10:13 says whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. John 1:12 says, “But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:” Paul says in Romans 6 that baptism is in the LIKENESS of Christ’s death (See: Romans 6:5). It is symbolic of his death. Baptism represents death, and not life. Yet, you have said before that water baptism is the same thing as being born again (Which is life and not death).

Yes, Christians need to be water baptized as a part of their faith. The just shall live by faith. But Christians are first saved by God’s grace through faith without works (Ephesians 2:8-9). We see this with Cornelius and his household by their receiving of the Spirit (Which is the downpayment of their inheritance). Granted, they must be faithful in their Sanctification so as to inherit the Kingdom, but the point some Christians miss is God’s grace. How can one honestly read and believe Romans 11:6 with a good conscience or without squirming in their seat if we are first initially saved by water baptism? If it is grace, it is no more of works (i.e. Works Alone). Romans 11:6 was said because of the problem of those who thought they had to be circumcised to saved. There are certain churches today who basically done a similar thing by proposing that baptism (a work) is how one first gets saved. However, the whole point in Romans 4 shows that circumcision is a work (and Abraham was saved by believing the promise before being circumcised), and circumcision is representative of baptism today. So baptism is a work. We are not FIRST saved by works but we are saved by God’s grace when we first come to the LORD.

Let God’s grace shine!

Side Note:

Works are only a requirement in the Sanctification Process as a part of God’s plan of salvation. Works is not how we first get saved. We are first saved by God’s grace without works.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,450.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More significantly, baptism represents a swith from an older covenant to the New Covenant. While circumcision represents a switch from an older covenant to the Jewish covenant (Mosaic covenant for today's Jews). The difference is that it is a switch with consent for gentiles to be covered by the New Covenant. It is a born with swtich for the Jews to be covered by the Jewish covenant. With the same consent, the Jews can choose to swtich from the Jewish covenant to the New Covenant as well.

Lawfully and covenantally everyone should be baptized. However since the New Covenant is about a Judgment by Jesus, not by Law. Jesus can grant exemption if one doesn't have the chance to be baptized, such as the thief on the cross.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
More significantly, baptism represents a swith from an older covenant to the New Covenant. While circumcision represents a switch from an older covenant to the Jewish covenant (Mosaic covenant for today's Jews). The difference is that it is a switch with consent for gentiles to be covered by the New Covenant. It is a born with swtich for the Jews to be covered by the Jewish covenant. With the same consent, the Jews can choose to swtich from the Jewish covenant to the New Covenant as well.
I believe there was a difference made between John’s water baptism of repentance and water baptism in the name of Jesus in Acts 19:1-7. While the Holy Spirit did come upon others without water baptism (like with Cornelius and his household), we can see that the Spirit did come upon these disciples of John the baptist at Ephesus when Paul baptized them. In essence they were being brought up to speed to the New Covenant way.

Lawfully and covenantally everyone should be baptized. However since the New Covenant is about a Judgment by Jesus, not by Law. Jesus can grant exemption if one doesn't have the chance to be baptized, such as the thief on the cross.
I believe salvation was always the same between both covenants in that it is by God’s grace and Sanctification through faith but the priesthood and the laws were merely different (Hebrews 7:12), and the Old Covenant was inferior to the New Covenant in its operation. Believers today do not have to keep a ton of rituals and laws that are complicated like with the 613 Laws of Moses. As for God’s laws: Revelation 22:14 says, “Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.” So God’s laws are essential to gaining eternal life, it is just by employing faith correctly to be able to obey His commands. We need to first be saved by God’s grace through faith (a belief) in the gospel (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), and in seeking forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9-13), and then we need to abide and continue in the Sanctification of the Holy Spirit to live a holy life (2 Thessalonians 2:13) (Galatians 6:8-9). For without holiness, no man shall see the Lord (Hebrews 12:14). Water baptism is a requirement in the New Covenant, but it is not something that will condemn a person if they never got a chance to get baptized. Baptism is a ritual that is the symbolic picture that represents the death of Christ for our lives (Romans 6).

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

(According to His Word):

#1. The Holy Spirit baptizes us into Jesus Christ and the church at salvation “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body...” (1 Corinthians 12:13). The head of the body is Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:18).

#2. Jesus baptizes us into the Holy Ghost, “he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost..” (Matthew 3:11). This is the downpayment of our inheritance (Ephesians 1:14).

#3. Jesus baptizes us with fire over the whole course of our life (i.e. Jesus tests our faith, and refines us to live a holy life) (Matthew 3:11). I see this as a part of the Sanctification Process over the course of our lives as believers to live a holy life and or as different testings of our faith by the Lord to refine us and to purge the branch to bring forth more fruit. As the silversmith uses fire to purge the dross from the precious metal, so the Lord seeks to remove sin from a believer’s life (Psalms 66:10; Proverbs 17:3). His fire cleanses and refines. “That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:” (1 Peter 1:7).

(This is a part of our believing Jesus is the spotless Lamb who died in our place):

#4. Jesus' baptism in the Jordan river to fulfill all righteousness. “Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.” (Matthew 3:13-15).

(Showing us the parallel between Noah & his family being saved by water vs. how baptism saves us in having an answer of a good conscience towards God):

#5. 1 Peter 3:21 says: “The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:”

I believe Noah and his family were saved by the water in the sense that the old evil world of sinful people were erased from their past (never to be remembered again because they had been washed away by the flood waters). They were saved by water by never again seeing these evil people. They no longer had to deal with their sins being pushed on them anymore. This is a parallel of our being water baptized in that we are giving an answer to God in having an already clean conscience before Him. Meaning, we do not have to recall our past life of sin because it has been forgiven (never to be remembered), and we can declare to God our conscience is clean (our past life of sin is washed away).

#6. Water baptism in the name of Jesus. This is the one baptism in Ephesians 4:5. (Note: Matthew 28:19 is saying to be baptized in the name (singular) that represents all three persons of the Godhead or Trinity; This name is Jesus. For the fulness of the Godhead dwells in the man Christ Jesus - Colossians 2:9, and Jesus is the name above all names - Philippians 2:9. Believers should be baptized in the name of Jesus just as the apostles had done with others. To see the symbolic picture of water baptism check out my post #2 below.

#7. Baptism unto death, “But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.” Matthew 20:22. Luke 12:50 says, “But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!” Just as Jesus partook of the baptism of death by dying on the cross for us, we are also to die to ourselves.

Baptisms that Do not Apply as a Form of Performance or Work in the Christian Life:

#8. The baptism unto Moses: “And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea” (1 Corinthians 10:2).

Part 1 of Old Covenant or Jewish "diverse washings" (which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

Part 2 of the Old Covenant or Jewish “diverse washings” (Which include OT baptisms) mentioned in Hebrews 9:10 that do not apply to us New Covenant believers.

#11. The baptism of John with water unto repentance “I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance:” (Matthew 3:11). Note: This baptism applied only to those believers during the time of Jesus before the cross. Note 2: Christians who have time to live out their faith do need to repent, though. For, “God…now commandeth all men every where to repent…” (See: Acts of the Apostles 17:30).

Important Note: Please keep in mind that the healing of the Lord Jesus Christ is far superior.
I am writing about Eph 4:5 that says ONE Lord , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPTISM .

That is not what the Greek text reads , and the correct reading is ONE BAPTISMA , PERIOD . Just check the Greek text and SEE .

The correct meaning is ONE BAPTIZER , and that one Baptizer is the HOLY SPIRIT and John 1:31 says that WAYTER BAPTISM was given to ISRAEL and not to GENTILES , period !!!!!!

The other so called problem is in 1 Cor 10:2 And all were BAPTIZO / PLACED , together unto Moses , in the CLOUD , and in the SEA .

It says that Israel WALKED , to the other side on dry ground , and what b happened to the Egyptians that followed Israel . they were IMMERSED in the WATER , BAPTIZED , and DROWNED .

In this passage we see a DRY BAPTISM , which was Israel and the Egyptians were WATER BAPTIZED .

The 1 Cor 15:29 is the easy one , BAPTISM for the DEAD .

Just turn to Rom 6:3 and 4 , with verse 4 showing the answer .

Verse 4 reads Therefore , we were buried together with Him through this PLACING / BAPTISMA INTO DEATH , and it is the HOLY SPIRIT that places all saved persons into Christ DEATH and as verse 3 says , BAPTIZED INTO HIS DEATH .

If you are not PLACED INTO HIS DEATH , you will not be RESURRECTED .

dan p

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am writing about Eph 4:5 that says ONE Lord , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPTISM .

That is not what the Greek text reads , and the correct reading is ONE BAPTISMA , PERIOD . Just check the Greek text and SEE .

The correct meaning is ONE BAPTIZER , and that one Baptizer is the HOLY SPIRIT and John 1:31 says that WAYTER BAPTISM was given to ISRAEL and not to GENTILES , period !!!!!!

The other so called problem is in 1 Cor 10:2 And all were BAPTIZO / PLACED , together unto Moses , in the CLOUD , and in the SEA .

It says that Israel WALKED , to the other side on dry ground , and what b happened to the Egyptians that followed Israel . they were IMMERSED in the WATER , BAPTIZED , and DROWNED .

In this passage we see a DRY BAPTISM , which was Israel and the Egyptians were WATER BAPTIZED .

The 1 Cor 15:29 is the easy one , BAPTISM for the DEAD .

Just turn to Rom 6:3 and 4 , with verse 4 showing the answer .

Verse 4 reads Therefore , we were buried together with Him through this PLACING / BAPTISMA INTO DEATH , and it is the HOLY SPIRIT that places all saved persons into Christ DEATH and as verse 3 says , BAPTIZED INTO HIS DEATH .

If you are not PLACED INTO HIS DEATH , you will not be RESURRECTED .

dan p
I am not looking to change what my Bible says. I believe the King James Bible is the most accurate translation today for 101 Reasons.
Of course I cannot go into any more details about this because there are limitations of discussing this topic here at CF. But I believe there is only one Bible and not many (Whereby we can interpret it any ole way we like - based on personal preferences and beliefs).

So when my Bible says, “one baptism” I believe that and I am not seeking to change it because I don’t like those words.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not looking to change what my Bible says. I believe the King James Bible is the most accurate translation today for 101 Reasons.
Of course I cannot go into any more details about this because there are limitations of discussing this topic here at CF. But I believe there is only one Bible and not many (Whereby we can interpret it any ole way we like - based on personal preferences and beliefs).

So when my Bible says, “one baptism” I believe that and I am not seeking to change it because I don’t like those words.
Anyone can see that the KJV used what is called the TEXTUS RECEPTUS and I am not changing any words and I ONLY use the KJV and the Greek text , PERIOD .

dan p

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone can see that the KJV used what is called the TEXTUS RECEPTUS and I am not changing any words and I ONLY use the KJV and the Greek text , PERIOD .

dan p
But you are saying ”one baptism” is ”one baptizer.” The word “baptism” cannot be defined as “baptizer.” There is no English dictionary that defines it as such. It would be a violation of the meaning of that word
(Unless one believes there are errors in the Bible —— which I do not believe).

In other words, I believe both the English in the KJB and the Greek in the NT (Textus Receptus) say the same thing.

We have to think that the physical water baptism is merely a symbolic ritual that pointed to the greater reality (Which would be the baptisms done upon a believer by God).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians also believe in the Trinity (Godhead), and yet if we are to take an overly literal approach we could conclude Tritheism from Ephesians 4:4-6. For the verse says there is one Spirit, one Lord, and one God and Father.

Yet, Scripture says Jesus is our everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6).
So when Ephesians 4:5 says there is one baptism, we cannot conclude an overly literal interpretation as referring to all baptisms.
The context I believe is how must interpret this “one baptism.” So this is why I believe the “one baptism” is water baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4:5.

The context says:

”…walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” (Ephesians 4:1-3).​

From our perspective there is one Father, one Spirit, and one Lord and one faith, and one baptism. The chapter is not written from God’s perspective or with us trying to get a glimpse of God’s view on things. The context is what we must do. Seeing we cannot employ Spirit baptism(s) because that is God’s job, the baptism we are to be focused on doing is water baptism in the name of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

(According to His Word):

Curious, not a single reference in Acts.

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married

(According to His Word):

So every man needs to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Curious, not a single reference in Acts.
The study was not meant to be an exhaustive biblical reference guide.
I do not believe we always have to refer to every single verse in the Bible to establish a particular biblical truth. Unless, of course, you think something is missing on my list from the Book of Acts or something. If that is the case, then please share.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So every man needs to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus.
The word "repent" is defined differently by many Christians today.

You can check out my Biblical Case for Repentance here:

CF Thread - My Biblical Case for Repentance

While there are exceptions to the rule (like aborted babies or a guy dying on his deathbed), I believe that if a believer is given the chance or opportunity, they must repent of their sins as a part of salvation.

As for baptism:

I see this as a must or a necessary requirement within the faith. I see water baptism as applying the secondary aspect of our Salvation (i.e., Sanctification of the Holy Spirit to live a holy life). While water baptism was done right away many times in the early church, and we can do such a thing, as well, It is not a salvation issue if one is not baptized right away --- See 1 Peter 3:21. Water baptism symbolizes death. It symbolizes how we are dead with Christ. We are to die to this world and its false ways and live unto Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but remember Phillip and the Eunuch. It is a definite necessity that needs to happen as soon as possible. He has placed our sins in the sea of forgetfulness
Actually, it was the Eunuch who brought up the topic of baptism and not Philip.
Philip emphasized he could be baptized if he believed with all his heart.
The Eunuch’s reply was: “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
So it was his faith that was essential to this situation.

As for Acts 2: These were Jews who already supposed to know about God and they were being called back to accept their Messiah.
They were not Gentiles.

But yes. If we can water baptize a new believer right away, it is good to do so.
But not everything is like it was back in the early church days.
We are living in the last days.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The study was not meant to be an exhaustive biblical reference guide.
I do not believe we always have to refer to every single verse in the Bible to establish a particular biblical truth. Unless, of course, you think something is missing on my list from the Book of Acts or something. If that is the case, then please share.
The books of Acts presents manifestations or power from the "dorea" of the HS as implicitly indiscriminate where 1 Cor 12-14 "charisma" of the HS as explicitly discriminate. Acts has a unique view and leaving it unreconciled or not commenting on it seems to be lacking attention to the subject.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The books of Acts presents manifestations or power from the "dorea" of the HS as implicitly indiscriminate where 1 Cor 12-14 "charisma" of the HS as explicitly discriminate. Acts has a unique view and leaving it unreconciled or not commenting on it seems to be lacking attention to the subject.
Sounds nice, but you really have to give more substance to that by showing us the actual verses in the Book of Acts. Please provide an explanation as to why along with the verses. So far it just sounds like theological table talk. Give me the meat or evidence of Scripture to prove your case and not a glossed over summary.

Is there a different kind of baptism I am missing that can be found in the Book of Acts?
Also, keep in mind that my write up was not meant to be an exhaustive biblical treatise on the topic.

If you cannot provide the verses as proof to your claim as to why my write up suffers greatly from not having the Book of Acts, then it seems you are just hitting the disagree button for no good reason.

While there are several baptism moments (like in Acts 8):

Acts 2 shows water baptism for the Jews who were coming back to God (by accepting their Messiah).
Acts 2 is not something that applied to Gentiles.
Acts 10-11 is an example of how a person can be saved by the gospel message (believing in Christ’s death and resurrection) before they are even water baptized.
Acts 19 was about getting John the baptist’s followers being brought up to speed with the New Covenant way of being baptized (Which was to be water baptized in the name of Jesus).

Anyways, these are some of the interesting moments involving one being water baptized.
But I was not doing an exhaustive explanation on each of the points in Scripture.
My goal was to mention the different baptisms.

Side Note:

I did mention Acts 19:1-7 in post #6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sounds nice, but you really have to give more substance to that by showing us the actual verses in the Book of Acts. Please provide an explanation as to why along with the verses. So far it just sounds like theological table talk. Give me the meat or evidence of Scripture to prove your case and not a glossed over summary.

Is there a different kind of baptism I am missing that can be found in the Book of Acts?
Also, keep in mind that my write up was not meant to be an exhaustive biblical treatise on the topic.

If you cannot provide the verses as proof to your claim as to why my write up suffers greatly from not having the Book of Acts, then it seems you are just hitting the disagree button for no good reason.

While there are several baptism moments (like in Acts 8):

Acts 2 shows water baptism for the Jews who were coming back to God (by accepting their Messiah).
Acts 2 is not something that applied to Gentiles.
Acts 10-11 is an example of how a person can be saved by the gospel message (believing in Christ’s death and resurrection) before they are even water baptized.
Acts 19 was about getting John the baptist’s followers being brought up to speed with the New Covenant way of being baptized (Which was to be water baptized in the name of Jesus).

Anyways, these are some of the interesting moments involving one being water baptized.
But I was not doing an exhaustive explanation on each of the points in Scripture.
My goal was to mention the different baptisms.

Side Note:

I did mention Acts 19:1-7 in post #6.
Sorry for missing post 6, I'm more addressing the main points brought up in post 1. I also am not presenting a theological position I'm merely stating the obvious that Acts does not follow the rules that Paul lays out which to me warrants a discussion that seems neglected or at the very least is absent. I'm not trying to influence your conclusion but rather saying without reconciling the differences presented in Acts your study is incomplete.

Upvote 0