United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is a fundamentalist Catholic?
Yes, I am wondering this also ...

Someone please explain?

(Always something new to learn in Catholicism!
This weekend, I learned there are "Catholic Quakers" ... like, Roman Catholic Quakers. Go figure!!)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I am wondering this also ...

Someone please explain?

(Always something new to learn in Catholicism!
This weekend, I learned there are "Catholic Quakers" ... like, Roman Catholic Quakers. Go figure!!)
I’m sure it’s not a compliment.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What is a fundamentalist Catholic?
Depends on who you talk to. I was once called that a few years ago. It told me a lot about the person who called me that.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m sure it’s not a compliment.

Then, if I were to guess ...
A fundamentalist Catholic is referring to a Protestant who has converted to Catholicism but still views things largely in a Protestant way.

I am thinking about someone like Taylor Marshall.
Though he appears to genuinely love TLM ways, I can "hear" his Protestant way of thinking in the way he talks.
That was part of my attraction to him, of course, having been a Protestant myself. I listened to him often, prior to reverting.
Listening to him was a 'comfortable' way back into the Church ... and I'll leave it at that.

But now that I am back, I don't follow him so much.
I just don't agree with public 'pope bashing' ... no matter who does it.
We are told to speak the truth, but also to do it in love.
I believe we jeopardize the well-being of our souls, when we do it otherwise.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Catholic Quakers? That’s a new one. When you figure it out please let me know. I’m still trying to wrap my brain around being an ‘indietrist’. Stalin always used to complain about ‘wreckers’ as a reason for not meeting the Soviet five year plans. It must be something similar.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Catholic Quakers ...

According to the internet, they are out there; haven't yet determined how many or how 'organized' they are ... as a group.
But I found several of them ... different places ... writing about their experience as Catholic Quakers.
(So some people are doing it!)

Seems it is mostly Roman Catholics becoming 'Catholic Quakers'. (It is like they are 'adding' Quakerism to their Catholicism.)
Less common is it for a Quaker to become a Catholic Quaker.
For one thing, apparently Quakers don't believe in creeds; that alone makes them less attracted to Catholicism.

But I was very surprised to see (online) the friendly association between Catholics and Quakers.
So much so, I ordered a book written by a woman who consider herself to be a (Roman) Catholic Quaker.
I'm curious to read what she has to say about it ...

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Actually Ratzinger and Wojtyla were opposite ideologically. It's why when he became Pope, John Paul II asked Ratzinger to head
the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, because as he said, he wanted someone who thought different than himself in order
to keep his thinking in check.
So JPII was like Abraham Lincoln? Where is your source for these strange claims?

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Someone should tell the various bishops, including the bishop of Arlington, that they had been given the authority to freely authorize the TLM. Lots of bishops are unaware they have the freedom to exercise such authority. Enough of them feel the need to obey the pope and restrict the TLM.
Right. Like I said, they have been forced to go through Rome. And there is no freedom to authorize new groups:

Art. 3. The bishop of the diocese in which until now there exist one or more groups that celebrate according to the Missal antecedent to the reform of 1970:​
[...]​
§ 6. to take care not to authorize the establishment of new groups.​
Art. 4. Priests ordained after the publication of the present Motu Proprio, who wish to celebrate using the Missale Romanum of 1962, should submit a formal request to the diocesan Bishop who shall consult the Apostolic See before granting this authorization.​

------

To the proposed question:
Does the diocesan Bishop have to be authorised by the Apostolic See to allow priests ordained after the publication of the Motu Proprio Traditionis custodes to celebrate with the Missale Romanum of 1962 (cf. Traditionis custodes, n. 4)?​
The answer is:
Affirmative.​

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Right. Like I said, they have been forced to go through Rome. And there is no freedom to authorize new groups:

Art. 3. The bishop of the diocese in which until now there exist one or more groups that celebrate according to the Missal antecedent to the reform of 1970:​
[...]​
Art. 4. Priests ordained after the publication of the present Motu Proprio, who wish to celebrate using the Missale Romanum of 1962, should submit a formal request to the diocesan Bishop who shall consult the Apostolic See before granting this authorization.​

------

Does the diocesan Bishop have to be authorised by the Apostolic See to allow priests ordained after the publication of the Motu Proprio Traditionis custodes to celebrate with the Missale Romanum of 1962 (cf. Traditionis custodes, n. 4)?​
The answer is:
Affirmative.​
And don’t forget the ruling from Rome that you can’t put the TLM times in the parish bulletin. Bishops know they dare not allow it. Priests know they can be cancelled for less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So JPII was like Abraham Lincoln? Where is your source for these strange claims?
The source is read a book. Start with "Witness To Hope," by George Weigle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And don’t forget the ruling from Rome that you can’t put the TLM times in the parish bulletin. Bishops know they dare not allow it. Priests know they can be cancelled for less.
This isn't true either.

The local parish puts the time for the TLM in their bulletin every week.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

[...]​

------

The answer is:
Affirmative.​
The TLM was made possible by our Bishop in the local parish after Pope Francis's made his Motu Proprio, Traditionis custodes.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This isn't true either.

The local parish puts the time for the TLM in their bulletin every week.
Then they are in disobedience to Rome and your bishop could be in disobedience if he has allowed it. All over the country and the world TLM announcements have been withdrawn from parish bulletins. It IS a thing whether or not your parish is disobedient and posts the information.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Then they are in disobedience to Rome and your bishop could be in disobedience if he has allowed it. All over the country and the world TLM announcements have been withdrawn from parish bulletins. It IS a thing whether or not your parish is disobedient and posts the information.
Nope, you're misinformed

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FYI, the prohibition against advertising the TLM, has to do with people placing ads in the
Diocesan and local papers on the TLM. Some even had the TLM announcements in other
parish bulletins.

It has nothing to do with a parish posting the Mass times in their bulletins which include the TLM
that is celebrated there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
FYI, the prohibition against advertising the TLM, has to do with people placing ads in the
Diocesan and local papers on the TLM. Some even had the TLM announcements in other
parish bulletins.

It has nothing to do with a parish posting the Mass times in their bulletins which include the TLM
that is celebrated there.
Someone needs to tell the parishes that felt they needed to delete that information from their bulletins. Maybe inform a few bishops of that as well.

Upvote 0