Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I find the points in this article very interesting, and I'm pretty shocked that it's not discussed more. First of all, a lot of Catholics don't seem to understand how important precepts are. They're non-negotiable, unbendable like disciplines. There are six precepts of the Church, but one's been conveniently swept under the rug.

A subtle, yet significant, change in the Precepts of the Catholic Church was recently brought to my attention. More than just a change, it is actually an omission: the removal of the sixth precept regarding the Church’s laws on marriage. The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains that the precepts of the Church “concern the moral and Christian life united with the liturgy and nourished by it.” The 1994 Catechism promulgated during the papacy of Pope St. John Paul II lists only five precepts:​
1. “You shall attend Mass on Sundays and on holy days of obligation and rest from servile labor.”​
2. “You shall confess your sins at least once a year.”​
3. “You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season.”​
4. “You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church.”​
5. “You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church.”​
(CCC 2042-2043)​
After being made aware of the omitted precept I went back and consulted my copy of The Catechism Explained, written by Father Francis Spirago and published by Benziger Brothers in 1899. Fr. Spirago lists a total of six precepts of the Catholic Church, with the final advising the faithful:​

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought this was a very interesting article.

Yes, in the 'old days', this precept was taught and discussed often. (I had actually forgotten about it, until you posted this!)
But upon reflection, as an older person with marriage experience, I can see the wisdom behind the idea of two married persons sharing the same faith ...

Upvote 0