Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I thought it would make for an interesting topic. From the USCCB website:

The Dignity Of Work And The Rights Of Workers

The economy must serve people, not the other way around. Work is more than a way to make a living; it is a form of continuing participation in God’s creation. If the dignity of work is to be protected, then the basic rights of workers must be respected--the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions, to private property, and to economic initiative.

Scripture

The Dignity of Work and the Rights of Workers

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Our state legislature is currently considering two bills supported by the Chambers of Commerce.

One would reduce unemployment benefits to 4 months. During recessions, 4 months might not nearly be enough. This is also the case with older workers. My husband received unemployment three times, and reached the 6 month limit once (he didn't get a job for 8 1/2 months.)

One thing people don't realize about unemployment is that employers are loathe to hire "overqualified" people because they think they'll keep looking (and of course they will).

The other bill that's being considered would reduce worker's comp liability to 9 years--even if a 20 year-old fell off the roof and was paralyzed for life. Do they think permanently disabled people cease being disabled after 9 years?

The erosion of worker benefit will coincide with continuing automation, putting stress on jobs, loosened workplace safety rules (meaning more worker accidents), etc.

And of course, it hurts blue-collar manual workers, who sometimes seem incapable of looking out for their own self-interest, most.

I would bet they're not even aware of the legislators in the capitol plotting to throw them under the bus :(

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics