Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not linking because there might be swearing in the reviews, but check out this little gem on Amazon and then check out the reviews and the questions/answers.

Trump Make America Great Collectible Ornament

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can vote out people with term limits.
And people without them. But you can't keep good representatives if you have term limits and you can't vote out the machine behind the politician which becomes more powerful with term limits.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The latte libel — Guardian
Alex Frankel said:
Here is how it’s done. First, the latte libel narrowly redefines the category of working Americans (class) into white people living outside the big cosmopolitan cities – the victims. It then confects a new category, the latte-sipping ruling Democratic elite containing the plurality of categories of progressive identity politics including, notably in an election like this, women. It might also include the equivalent of the ABC in Australia, ie somewhat moderate journalists, and, of course, Guardian readers. Meanwhile, in this fictitious narrative, the actual Republicans escape any responsibility for their actions. They are the narrators posing as the champions of the working people, lambasting this many-headed “elite” for its indifference to the hardships of the same neoliberalism that Republicans themselves have championed.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We can be deniers if we wish. The party that elected Johnson, Carter and Clinton has lost its way. We have lost 1000 seats in state legislatures, numerous governorships, and many senate and house seats since Obama's election. The situation will be much, much worse in the Senate after the 2018 elections. A couple of vulnerable Democratic senators may even accept positions in the Trump administration, accelerating the process.

Obama was a bit of an aberration, a man for the moment, at the end of the wars, in the middle of huge recession. Obama did nothing to help the party for 8 years, other than advise Clinton to NOT have a private server and to suggest that she campaign in white working class areas. I suspect that he also suggested that it really wasn't a good idea to have all those speeches to the bankers. It was truly amazing that Hillary thought that the way to win the election was to have Jay-Z, Beyonce and JayLo concerts. Pro-Trump commentators on CNN suggested that these concerts would backfire, and they did.

Bill Clinton was very clear in his advice. Hillary should have focused on her roots, as he did. She could have relied on Obama to campaign in the cities. There should have been lots and lots of ads about Clinton in PA and in ARK. And there should have been lots and lots of campaign stops in WI (there weren't even ads there), Iowa (She gave up there early), MI, and PA.
==============
TWO SUGGESTIONS

FIRST
Let's get back to basics. We stand for working people of ALL colors. We are fooling ourselves if we think that we should be the Wall Street party, or the party of minorities. Of course, we should stand against discrimination. BTW, how exactly did Trump increase the Republican percentage manning Hispanics? It could be because the Democratic Party spent almost nothing on Spanish media, and had very few interviews. Jeb Bush or Rubio would likely have won a majority of Hispanics. And yes, we stand for protecting US jobs. Helping bankers and our favorite big US corporations cannot help. We must develop a platform that answers the real issues: an adequate safety net, automation, globalization and climate change.

SECOND
Let's start locally, and work to win local legislatures and state governments. The answer to governing is NOT all about the federal government.

Yes, it was (and is) right to believe that we can win in Arizona and Texas and Georgia, but that won't happen if we are the party of the elites of NY, DC CA and Seattle. It's OK to be the old Boston-Austin axis. It is NOT OK to forget the Southern half of the partnership.

In the end, we must remember the words of Ronald Reagan, who was once a New Deal Democrat. He said that he did not greatly change positions. It was the Democratic Party that had moved from being the party of Roosevelt, Truman and Kennedy (and even Johnson). We lost our way in 1968 when the liberals abandoned Humphrey (and nominated McGovern in 1972). Bill Clinton called the party back to the center with the DLC. 911 and the wars changed the nature of politics, and we again believed that moving far to the left was the answer (after all, the Republicans had moved for to the right). BTW, Obama was NOT a candidate of the left. The decisions he made were major disappointments to the left over his 8 years.

BOTTOM LINE
Many of the Republicans would have beaten almost any Democratic candidate for president. The time was right for a change. HOWEVER, there was no excuse for the poor campaign, and the poor results in the states, the Senate and the House.

Unless we do something in the next few years, we will not recognize the electoral landscape in 8 years. IMHO, all this will be ignored and this generation will need to learn by nominating their own McGovern in 2020 and perhaps 2024. Perhaps, a trouncing in 2020 would be good for the party.

IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE
We could have lost to a Rubio-Hailey ticket (it would have happened if not for Trump's attack dog Christie). For many years, I will recall Gov Haily (Indian-American) and Senator Scott (African-American) on the stage backing Rubio at one of his rallies in very Republican South Carolina. The proposed leadership of the new Republican Party was there to be seen.

The Republicans WILL change into a Trump type party OR to the inclusive party envisioned after the 2013 autopsy. We Democrats probably won't even bother with real analysis until we have a sound defeat. We still think that we are the party of the people, (and that we were robbed of the election). We are in a state of denial. Grief and eventually a new direction may take years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deviant Writer

I choose the World. I choose the Flesh.
Sep 18, 2015
Michigan
✟77,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Introspection is good. Many Democrats and liberals on my FB didn't respond to the results...all that well.

The most prominent complaint is that it's the fault of the electoral college. Again, we have people saying it needs to be eliminated. That would require a two-thirds of both the House and Senate, and ratification by three-fourths of the states.

Since Republicans have been able to skate by twice in 16 years without the popular vote thanks to the EC, I think it's safe to say the institution isn't going anywhere.

It brings to mind the negative sentiment following the election and reelection of Obama. We had conservatives on here (I've lurked for a very long time) saying that people on welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote. That there should be a literacy test. People blamed the minorities, the gay people, godless people.

We've done too much of that as well. We (and I don't mean us on CF specifically) blamed third-party voters. I'm sorry, but it's not even the responsibility of Democrats to vote for Democrats, let alone people aligned with different parties.

A lot of the criticisms that liberals have made against Hillary Clinton and her campaign were valid ones. Trump spoke to the white working class in the Midwest. A squeaky-clean Republican with even a moderate amount of charisma and none of the baggage of having white nationalists come out in support of him (or her *giggle*) probably would have destroyed us.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A squeaky-clean Republican with even a moderate amount of charisma and none of the baggage of having white nationalists come out in support of him (or her *giggle*) probably would have destroyed us.

Kasick would have beaten us in a McGovern type debacle. Ditto for Rubio. And yes, we could have had a another Texan as president. I see your giggle as somewhat misplaced. Governor Hailey could have easily won, with Rubio as VP. She is likely to be our first female president.

In the end, perhaps we should be glad that we don't have a President Cruz. He would have been much more damaging to the country than Trump will be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"I'm fed up with the elites. So I'm going to vote for a man born with a silver spoon up his hind quarters!"

Trump voters do NOT view someone who advertises eating KFC on his plane as being elite. They do NOT despise the rich. They want to BE rich. Populism (and white nationalism i.e. racism) is indeed all about hating the elite. And yes, most of the country do view the West Coast as being populated by elites; also places like MA.

The Democratic Party needs to understand what this feeling of disliking the elites is all about.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What does everyone here think about the CIA allegations of Russia interfering with Donald Trump being elected?

???

There is no question with regard to Russia hacking. And it is NOT just the CIA. Over a month ago, all 16 agencies agreed that the Russians had hacked and leaked Democratic emails. They probably also hacked RNC emails and chose not to release anything (that is the reason for the CIA assessment that they favored Trump; there is no direct proof of Russia's INTENT.) Also, we ignore the continuing release of Wikileaks material.

The Senate WILL investigate. Trump attacking the CIA, the FBI and other 14 intelligence agencies does not bode well for the intelligence agencies after he takes office. Trump has ignored all evidence, choosing to accept Russian propaganda and explanation. After all, those are his friends. Actually, he has refused to even look at any evidence since he simply refusing to attend the intelligence briefings. Pence does. It is instructive that Pence doesn't speak out against the CIA and the FBI.

The BOTTOM LINE is that many Republicans are increasingly skeptical of Trump's wish to move the US toward an alliance with Russia, and toe remove their sanctions. Clearly, his Secretary of State would like the sanctions removed so that Exxon-Mobil can complete its $5B dollar deal, as well as others.

• Informative
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response, Mark. I appreciate it. I read articles that said the Electoral College members are requesting an Intel Briefing on possible Russian interference, the Republican Senate Leader called for a probe, and President Obama has ordered an investigation into it. I wonder what will happen to the president elect when all of this is said and done.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟838,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for your response, Mark. I appreciate it. I read articles that said the Electoral College members are requesting an Intel Briefing on possible Russian interference, the Republican Senate Leader called for a probe, and President Obama has ordered an investigation into it. I wonder what will happen to the president elect when all of this is said and done.
Nothing will happen to Trump, and nothing should happen. That should only occur if he made a deal with the Russians.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
And people without them. But you can't keep good representatives if you have term limits and you can't vote out the machine behind the politician which becomes more powerful with term limits.

The few who may still be good after 12 years do not make up for the vast majority who will do anything to keep getting elected. We need a clean slate to begin again.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The few who may still be good after 12 years do not make up for the vast majority who will do anything to keep getting elected. We need a clean slate to begin again.
I'm surprised you chose this Safe House. Who knew? I'd've thought the Social Conservatives would be a better fit for you, but welcome.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I'm surprised you chose this Safe House. Who knew? I'd've thought the Social Conservatives would be a better fit for you, but welcome.

I made sure to keep my statement safe here, to keep from upsetting anyone unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I made sure to keep my statement safe here, to keep from upsetting anyone unnecessarily.
That's good, but you should be aware that debating isn't allowed here or in any of the "safe houses"; friendly comments, only. I know the temptation to rebut is hard to resist, I really do. :)

Upvote 0