The deceitful and insidious art of complaining (and gossiping)

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read in Scripture "Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God who works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings: That you may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:12-15) "And whatsoever you do in word or deed, do all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father through Him." (Col 3:17) "And whatsoever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord you shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for you serve the Lord Christ. But, he that does wrong shall receive for the wrong which he has done: and there is no respect of persons. (Col 3:23-25)

Now, back to my title: "the deceitful and insidious art of complaining (and gossiping)."

Scripture is full of texts that suggest God really hates complaining/murmuring. But, at least for me, it was a major part of my upbringing. I would go so far to say that I grew up learning to make complaining an artform. I think I got so skilled at the complaining "backhand" (you know that "complaint" artfully disguised as just recognizing facts) that I didn't even recognize it as complaining. And, still today, I catch myself using those techniques, despite the fact that I agree with God that I shouldn't. But, complaining is all around us. Almost everyone does it when someone messes up their expectations. And, we often pick our friends because they will say what we want to hear, not what we need to hear. Or at least those we have picked feel obligated to agree with us when we are venting to maintain the friendship. Worse, they "look out for us" and tell us when someone else is talking about us in a bad way (gossiping). But, God....

God calls us to look different from the rest of the world. We shouldn't "fit it". We are supposed to be a "peculiar people" who are noticeably different from the rest of the world. If you have ever watched the Matrix, you remember the "agents" can use anybody, so you have to be on your guard. I would argue that the demons can use anybody, too--even professing Christians. It takes two to gossip. People eventually won't share with you anymore, if you won't receive. And while you can complain all by yourself, most don't. Most of us complain to others, because somehow we think it makes us feel better. But, when is the last time someone complained to you that you didn't feel drained? Why do that to someone else? As I reflect on this, I regret that I have done exactly that to my wife who has heard and absorbed every frustration I have vented in the last 7 years. May God, Anne, and anyone else I have "vented to" (complained to), forgive me. Another thing I have noticed is that when you complain to others, you are inevitably inviting them to complain to you, too--unless they have better character than you in that regard. And, isn't that just the way gossip works, too?

And, if God is sovereign and if nothing that happens to us escapes His attention, should we be complaining? Should we really be complaining about something He allows in our lives for a purpose? Don't pride and complaining go hand-in-hand? When we complain, aren't we telling Him that our plans are more important or better than His? I think I am finally starting to understand that is really what we are doing when we complain.

May God bless what He has laid on my heart this morning.

Reactions: -Luca