Sedbergh, Lake District, England
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An Ulsterman from the ecclesiastical capital, Armagh, John Lennox is going to take on Richard Dakins in debate. He is Dr John Lennox, reader in Mathematics and Fellow in Mathematics and Philosophy of Science, University of Oxford. He has written a book called, "God's Undertaker". I was listening to our local, Radio Ulster "Sunday Sequence" when I heard this wonderfull news. It will be in October in the Bible belt, Birmingham, Alabama. What a debate that will be and of course Lennox is almost certain to win. How could he loose with all his logical and more or less provable case. Go to Radio Ulster and check it out. It is about two thirds way through the programme that you will hear him beingf interviewed. It will almost certainly be the debate of all debates :clap:

MarkEvan

Senior Veteran
Jun 15, 2006
Manchester
✟19,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Its pointless, people like RD just wont listen when they have an audience, if it was 1 on 1 and they were alone maybe it would be worth it, but IMO this would firmly fall in the "throwing pearls before swine" camp. The fool says in his heart there is no God.

Mark

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[MarkEvan]but IMO this would firmly fall in the "throwing pearls before swine" camp. The fool says in his heart there is no God.

I agree :)

Let us also not forget the verse that the message of the cross is foolishness to those that are perishing. These kinds of debates may excite some, but not me. If anyone is happy debating with RD or Hitchens or whomever then good luck to them.

It doesn't, hasn't and will not effect my faith in Christ.....It's pointless trying to convince anyone who clearly doesn't believe.

Upvote 0

MarcusHill

Educator and learner
May 1, 2007
Manchester
✟16,512.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Its pointless, people like Lennox just wont listen when they have an audience, if it was 1 on 1 and they were alone maybe it would be worth it, but IMO this would firmly fall in the "throwing pearls before swine" camp. The fool goes beyond the evidence and sees God.

Fixed :D ;) .

Seriously, though. I've never really seen a huge amount of point in these sorts of debates. RD will come from a purely rationalist view, whereas Lennox will inevitably have to use arguments which involve an element of faith. Since neither side thinks the other is using valid methods to arrive at their conclusions, nobody is ever going to win anybody over from the other side who has given the matter any serious thought - and the audience for this sort of thing tends to be largely composed of those who like to think about this!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

British One

Feb 10, 2004
Southport, UK
Visit site
✟15,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I agree :)

Let us also not forget the verse that the message of the cross is foolishness to those that are perishing. These kinds of debates may excite some, but not me. If anyone is happy debating with RD or Hitchens or whomever then good luck to them.

It doesn't, hasn't and will not effect my faith in Christ.....It's pointless trying to convince anyone who clearly doesn't believe.
Why evangelise at all then?

CS Lewis was an atheist but God changed him. Surely the same could be true for Richard Dawkins?

Upvote 0