The Death of Political Correctness...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
... now that I have your attention, I'd like to try a little thought experiment:

We all wake up tomorrow to a world without "Political Correctness." The very concept has been instantly expunged from society.

For the purpose of this thread I would like to offer a definition of "Political Correctness" as "the concept that a person's words can have negative repercussions on their professional and/or personal life because someone, somewhere, might be offended by them, either on their own or someone else's behalf." (If anyone has a better definition, I'm willing to consider it)

Anywho, it's now gone...what happens next?

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,210.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Anywho, it's now gone...what happens next?

I can again call my 'not so smart' friend a retard without feeling guilty that I may have insulted him. After all, it is about what I feel and not him. Why should I have to hold back if I think I am better? It is the American way....

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟883,767.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking maybe the OP is some kind of trick question I'm not smart enough to see, but I'll take the bait. Nothing would happen next. We go about our lives in a free society. We communicate ideas openly and honestly, and if need be we debate them. We respect the fact that people have differences and have different ideas and beliefs, and we live and let live.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟883,767.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I can again call my 'not so smart' friend a retard without feeling guilty that I may have insulted him. After all, it is about what I feel and not him. Why should I have to hold back if I think I am better? It is the American way....
But you just called him "not so smart". Isn't that insulting? See you can either talk about a characteristic, or not talk about it at all. You can recognize reality and deal with it, or be an ostrich.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟184,210.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
But you just called him "not so smart". Isn't that insulting? See you can either talk about a characteristic, or not talk about it at all. You can recognize reality and deal with it, or be an ostrich.

'not so smart' is not an insult. It is a description of a reality. Apparently you do not understand political correctness....all the while trying to be politically correct.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There is an ever so slight and vague line between being against political correctness and supporting rude and boorish behavior.

Would it therefore be safe to say that the issue is not "political correctness," per se, but rather too much of it? Too much of a necessary thing, perhaps?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,551.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Would it therefore be safe to say that the issue is not "political correctness," per se, but rather too much of it? Too much of a necessary thing, perhaps?

The issue is that people are used to acting, thinking and speaking about certain things in a certain way and are annoyed by demands to immediately change to be politically correct whenever the powers that be say we all need to change how we act...

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟279,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm thinking maybe the OP is some kind of trick question I'm not smart enough to see, but I'll take the bait. Nothing would happen next. We go about our lives in a free society. We communicate ideas openly and honestly, and if need be we debate them. We respect the fact that people have differences and have different ideas and beliefs, and we live and let live.

The way I'd put it is that we'd have a society which has no inclination to put "victims" or "oppressed" people on a pedestal.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The issue is that people are annoyed by demands to be politically correct.

Not so much the demands themselves, but that there are too many....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The way I'd put it is that we'd have a society which has no inclination to put "victims" or "oppressed" people on a pedestal.

But surely there are a few "victims" and/or "oppressed people" who have earned a little sympathy, correct?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, I expanded on that thought a bit after I posted it.

The demands are also somewhat arbitrary in the nature of what the zeitgeist chooses to care about.

The zeitgeist has always been arbitrary. People and causes fall in and out of fashion so quickly and randomly I'm surprised they don't get whiplash...

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,551.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The zeitgeist has always been arbitrary. People and causes fall in and out of fashion so quickly and randomly I'm surprised they don't get whiplash...

Which is why it is understandable that people get annoyed with social demands.

But surely there are a few "victims" and/or "oppressed people" who have earned a little sympathy, correct?

We all deserve a little sympathy for having to deal with other humans all our lives, but we only have ourselves to blame.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟883,767.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's true, and when you put things on a pedestal you perpetuate the things you claim you want to get rid of, and I'll give a little example from my own life which actually happened.

I was dating this girl and on one of our first few dates we sat down at a restaurant, she went to the restroom, our waiter had brought us water or whatever, and when she came back she asked which waiter was ours. I looked around and said "the black guy" (there were, say, 5 waiters milling about, 4 white, one black). Her jaw dropped, she was horrified. I was clueless. We got into a discussion but she was never able to give a reason why you shouldn't identify a person by the color of their skin, other than "you just don't". If there had been 4 brunette waiters and one blonde guy I'd have probably said "the blonde guy". So what? I see skin color as what it is, utterly normal, and she sees it as what - something which can't even be spoken? I don't know, is she a racist? Does she think you can't mention color because deep down she looks down on blacks because she sees a different color as something they need to be pitied for as if it were a disease or something? Which one us is more likely racist, me or her? Her mindset is exactly what a big part of PC is about, and it perpetuates stereotypes and divisions between people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟719,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How did we ever survive for 230 or so years before we allowed the PC people to run our lives?

Here's a thought lets ditch political correctness, and replace it with the Bambi rule.

If you don't have something kind to say, don't say anything

The instant side effect would be this forum going silent.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Here's a thought lets ditch political correctness, and replace it with the Bambi rule.

If you don't have something kind to say, don't say anything

The instant side effect would be this forum going silent.

Lead by example, my friend... ;)

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟883,767.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There is an ever so slight and vague line between being against political correctness and supporting rude and boorish behavior.
I've seen this kind of comment in other threads regarding PC, as if it's about "civility". It's not, it's about thought control. Think of Condoleeza Rice having to bail on a commencement speech due to protests. I've never heard her say a harsh word about anyone or anything. Seems to me like a very sweet person. PC is not about being ill-mannered.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.