Not open for further replies.

Daedalus

Apr 28, 2004
✟8,027.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Hi
I'm not very sure if this is the place where I should ask this, but here it is:

From what I read, early in the Sunday when Jesus was resurected, Mary and other wimin got to his grave with special oils and all.
Well, what I don't really understand is this:

Wasn't Jesus allready prepared when they put him in the grave (I've read figures like 120 lbds of oils and stuff) ?
How were the wimin supposed to get in the grave anyway?
Or were they going to enter inside at all (acording to Luca. 24.1 - they set to go with the special oils, but it's not stated whether they were set to enter the toomb or not -- like to burn inscent inside or outside the toomb).
I mean there was a large stone, and they didn't yet knew Jesus resurected and so, how were those wimin supposed to moove the stone (if they were to enter the toomb)?
I mean from the resurection of Lazarus, I thought the apostols mooved the stone; but when Mary and the other wimin went to the grave there were not men acompaniing them.

Could someone point me to the custom of burrial of the jews at that time?
Perhaps I'm wrong and there were also men that went to the grave and not only wimin(or a lot of wimin?? )?

Thanks!

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Daedalus said:
Wasn't Jesus allready prepared when they put him in the grave (I've read figures like 120 lbds of oils and stuff) ?

No. He was buried quickly because of the Sabath.

Mar 16:3
And they were saying to one another, "Who will roll away the stone for us from the door of the tomb?"​

It appears that in their haste, they did not consider that.

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Daedalus said:
Hi
I'm not very sure if this is the place where I should ask this, but here it is:

From what I read, early in the Sunday when Jesus was resurected, Mary and other wimin got to his grave with special oils and all.
Well, what I don't really understand is this:

Or were they going to enter inside at all (acording to Luca. 24.1 - they set to go with the special oils, but it's not stated whether they were set to enter the toomb or not -- like to burn inscent inside or outside the toomb).
I mean there was a large stone, and they didn't yet knew Jesus resurected and so, how were those wimin supposed to moove the stone (if they were to enter the toomb)?
I mean from the resurection of Lazarus, I thought the apostols mooved the stone; but when Mary and the other wimin went to the grave there were not men acompaniing them.

Perhaps I'm wrong and there were also men that went to the grave and not only wimin(or a lot of wimin?? )?

Thanks!
If you want something to truly blow your mind, you should check out this link in the forum:

http://www.christianforums.com.au/t111671

Make sure you read through the whole thing. You'll see that in all actuality, Christ wasn't even crucified on Friday. It was Wednesday. It all then just falls in place beautifully. This all comes from a beautiful understanding of the Scriptures through Jewish eyes.

Take care.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Daedalus said:
Hi....

Thanks!
Hi there!

This might help... and knowing that there was as little contact as possible with the dead body as touching a dead body would make one ritually unclean.

~serapha~

http://www.bible-history.com/jesus/jesusuntitled00000280.htm

Burial Customs

BURIAL CUSTOMS IN ANCIENT PALESTINE

In Jesus' day, the dead of wealthy families were typically laid to rest in family burial places in use for generations, either caves or tombs cut into soft rock.

Although criminals were usually buried in the trench graves where the poor were laid to rest, Jesus did not receive a criminal's burial. Since his own family would not have owned a burial spot near Jerusalem, a follower named Joseph of Arimathea arranged to bury Jesus in his own unused tomb in a garden near Golgotha.

Such tombs usually had one or more irregular chambers with ledges where the bodies were placed and were accessible only by a short, low-ceilinged, ramplike shaft.

No coffin was used.

As suggested in the Gospels, a rough boulder or a specially cut closing stone blocked the entrance, basically to protect the corpse from jackals.

The dead were usually buried promptly, as Jesus was, because the Jews did not embalm their deceased and bodies decomposing rapidly in the Middle Eastern heat created a health hazard.

Normally, the corpse was immediately washed and anointed with spices, including aloes and myrrh, then wrapped in linen graveclothes , with special care taken to bind the chin to keep it from lowering. In funeral processions, which were arranged by the nearest of kin, the bereaved cried aloud or sang ritual lamentations and beat their breasts, sometimes wearing sackcloth or rolling in the dust, while hired musicians and professional mourners added to the public demonstration of grief.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
muffler dragon,

Don't be misled by modern theologians who think they know better than the gospel writers. We can trust scripture to tell the truth about such an important event.

http://www.jcsm.org/biblelessons/3Days.htm

This link explains the way that "three days and three nights" would have been understood by the Jews and Romans in the time and place of the events concerned.

There is no need to re-write scripture.
Jesus was buried on Friday and resurrected on Sunday, and that counted, according to God Himself and the culture of day, as "3 days and 3 nights."

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The Lord is my banner said:
muffler dragon,

Don't be misled by modern theologians who think they know better than the gospel writers. We can trust scripture to tell the truth about such an important event.

http://www.jcsm.org/biblelessons/3Days.htm

This link explains the way that "three days and three nights" would have been understood by the Jews and Romans in the time and place of the events concerned.

There is no need to re-write scripture.
Jesus was buried on Friday and resurrected on Sunday, and that counted, according to God Himself and the culture of day, as "3 days and 3 nights."

Blessings, Susana
Dear Banner:

I don't know why you think I'm trying to rewrite Scripture. If you follow the timeline of when the Pasha (Passover) was, you will find that during this particular time, it is impossible for Christ to be crucified on Friday. Moreover, you need to understand the Jewish High Day and Sabbath. My understanding is limited, but I have been learning greatly on it. The High Day (Passover) will function much like a Sabbath with regard to 'work'.

I apologize for what may seem very contradictory, but it truly is a 'christianizing' of the literature that has led the church to believe that it was Friday instead of Wednesday. Remember, all the authors were Jewish, Jesus was Jewish, and it is best to view what happened through Jewish eyes.

I suggest you read through the post that I presented. This is not a matter of people taking nothing into context and expounding opinion. It is backed by factual matter.

Upvote 0

MalkyEL

Jan 6, 2004
✟180.00
Faith
Messianic
Here is something interesting:

Mat 28:1 In the end 1161 3796 of the sabbath 4521, as it began to dawn 2020 toward 1519 the first 3391 [day] of the week 4521, came 2064 Mary 3137 Magdalene 3094 and 2532 the other 243 Mary 3137 to see 2334 the sepulchre 5028. [AKJV]

Does anyone know why "sabbath" is used in the first line - #4521
but in the second line, instead of "sabbath", "the first [day] of the week" is used and this word in greek is also #4521? "the first day of the week" in Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1 translates #4521 the same way.

strong's Greek #4521 sabbaton Sabbath

definition:
1) the seventh day of each week which was a sacred festival on which the Israelites were required to abstain from all work
a) the institution of the sabbath, the law for keeping holy every seventh day of the week
b) a single sabbath, sabbath day
2) seven days, a week

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NotTroy

Aug 12, 2003
✟467.00
Faith
Christian
MalkyEL, it has to do with the way that the Jews measured the passing of a day. Instead of using midday and midnight as we do, they measured a day from sunset to sunset (or is it from sunup to sunup? I always forget that part, someone help me out here). Anyway, you see what I am getting at. Using the way the Jews would have looked at the time of day, one day was just ending, Sabbath, and the next was beggining, first day of the week. I hope that helps you understand it a bit better.

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
NotTroy said:
MalkyEL, it has to do with the way that the Jews measured the passing of a day. Instead of using midday and midnight as we do, they measured a day from sunset to sunset (or is it from sunup to sunup? I always forget that part, someone help me out here). Anyway, you see what I am getting at. Using the way the Jews would have looked at the time of day, one day was just ending, Sabbath, and the next was beggining, first day of the week. I hope that helps you understand it a bit better.

I believe it is sunset to sunset (approx. 7 pm to 7 pm).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.