Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
S Walch said:
Harry potter is about as evil as my computer mouse.

Excellent.

This whole thread is dumb. The fourth movie was great. Harry Potter is not evil. In 5 years Hermonie will be hot.

There...that pretty much covers everthing.

Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
saelestis said:
Harry Potter is fictional. The books and movies will no more make anyone a wizard than seeing "Jarhead" will make me a marine. The real question is what will you do with Harry- leave him in the book or the movie, as you should any fictional character? Or embrace a delusion of becoming like him, and then get into trouble? Or make a fool of yourself? Harry Potter is only dangerous to the foolish, weak-minded, naive, spiritually undiscerning and those unable to separate fiction from reality, mostly the latter. Obviously If you want to be Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry, you will hurt yourself, someone else, get arrested, or all of the above.

The point is that Harry Potter (along with Charmed and similar fare) is leading a lot of people into witchcraft. There is a whole industry out there recruiting young impressionable teenagers into Wicca, largwely on the basis of the positive imagery being churned out by these books and programmes. Go into your local bookshop and see just how many books there are out there aimed at the Harry Potter set, teaching them how to do wiccan spells and become "Teen Witches" and the like. Harry Potter, Charmed and Buffy present witchcraft as good and empowering, and a lot of people are lapping it up.

The dangers of HP and the very real dangers of dabbling in Witchcraft need to be very loudly stressed.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Axion said:
[/color]

The point is that Harry Potter (along with Charmed and similar fare) is leading a lot of people into witchcraft. There is a whole industry out there recruiting young impressionable teenagers into Wicca, largwely on the basis of the positive imagery being churned out by these books and programmes. Go into your local bookshop and see just how many books there are out there aimed at the Harry Potter set, teaching them how to do wiccan spells and become "Teen Witches" and the like. Harry Potter, Charmed and Buffy present witchcraft as good and empowering, and a lot of people are lapping it up.

The dangers of HP and the very real dangers of dabbling in Witchcraft need to be very loudly stressed.

I think that people are hitting the panic button a little too much. This is an issue of parenting. Don't buy your kids books about how to be a teen witch. Frankly, the only time that I hear about how kids are being converted to "witches" etc is when 1) some religious organization attempts to define it as evil or 2) or when people around here attempt to define the "message" of HP as some sort of anti-Christian construct.

Heaven help me but I have yet to see the kiddies running around acting all "magicky" other than when they dress up at Halloween, or are at the HP movies or waiting for the books to come out. To be honest if I had children I would much rather they sat around reading Harry Potter books instead of spending all their time in "sexy teen chatrooms" or some such nonsense.

Upvote 0

MissAmy

Jan 20, 2005
✟7,723.00
Faith
Baptist
I can't believe we're discussing this again (although I realize I'm posting this). Every time a book or movie comes out this is an issue. CLEARLY we remain at a stand still (I'm a HP fan, read almost all of em but only seen a few movies) Parents are afraid for their young impressionable children and anybody over the age of 12's fighting for their right to read it. Sooo I'll see ya'll here again next spring when the next book's released??? Beat a dead horse much!

Upvote 0
C

Caliban

Charmed book of Shadows

Charmed%20Book%20of%20Shadows%20Blue.jpg

NKJV

nkjv2.gif

It's infiltrating everywhere people run to the hills ARGHHHHHHHH
http://www.av1611.org/images/nkjv2.gif

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Axion said:
[/color]

This reminds me of a verse from a song...

Paranoia paranoia
Everybody's coming to get me
Just say you never met me
I'm going underground with the moles
Diggin' holes...

I get the impression that there are so many Christians out there who have absolutely no idea what the Occult is, and what it's aims are. They seem to focus on the wrong things all the time. HP is not Occultic, neither is Charmed or Buffy. They aren't going to make your kids want to be a witch unless you don't bother raising them and allow them to raise themselves; then you have a probelm, and it's not the fault of HP, Buffy, or Charmed.

Upvote 0

wiggsfly

Walking the tightrope of life
Nov 20, 2005
✟4,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Harry Potter is no more dangerous than just about everything our media shows us today. I for one would rather my children be exposed to points of view outside Christianity. If I watch over it, explain it, and show them why such things are silly they are far more likely to be able to grow their faith in Jesus.

If, on the other hand, I try to hide everything that isn't Christian from them when they do find out (and believe me they will) it will be much easier for them to get attracted to such beliefs as we as parents have givevn creedencec to their authenticity by hiding their existence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Haggai said:
Well, do as you wish. These mediums of evil are setting people astray, and if you find these evils pleasurable, then pleasure yourselves with them as much as you want. These are real dangers and should not be set aside as fanatic conclusions.

Oh please. I could really stand for the rhetoric being dialed back a bit. I think that as Christians there are other things to focus on.

Anyhoo, I'm off to go ride on my broom.

Upvote 0

Aras

Resident Atheist
Nov 8, 2005
Texas
✟929.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Axion said:
[/color]

Could you justify the bold letters? And how much do you actually know about the Wiccan religion and Harry Potter?

To be frank they are about as similiar as Christianity and Muslim, we both worship a God, but it is completely different beyond that.

Upvote 0

Iollain

Jer 18:2-6
May 18, 2004
Atlantic Coast
✟8,725.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Harry Potter is no more dangerous than just about everything our media shows us today. I for one would rather my children be exposed to points of view outside Christianity. If I watch over it, explain it, and show them why such things are silly they are far more likely to be able to grow their faith in Jesus.

If, on the other hand, I try to hide everything that isn't Christian from them when they do find out (and believe me they will) it will be much easier for them to get attracted to such beliefs as we as parents have givevn creedencec to their authenticity by hiding their existence.

This is the way i look at it with my kids, if you keep too much away from the it could lead them into such things later on in life because they might end up with a distorted sence of reality about such things.....but the Lord has all kinds of Christians that handle things differently.

I don't really want the books in my house, but we do rent the movies. I bought one of the books at a yard sale in a desperate attempt to get one of my kids to read novels, but my conscience would not let me be till i threw it out.

Upvote 0

Archangel

Sith Lord
Jun 3, 2004
Northern Ireland
✟1,343.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i can see how people would be concerned with harry potter... but if we take the stance that we as christians should not be part of harry potter because it contains and is themed around witchcraft, then we should also ban all movies with a witchcraft theme, including buffy, charmed, movies like the craft... and yes disney movies with witches and fairys and genies etc etc. we should also ban lord of the rings because there is violence and witchcraft in it... and star wars, yes star wars contains the force... a buddist zen based idea... and so on and so forth.

i dont really care about harry potter... i dont defend it or attack it... but what i do know is that the issue is not banning harry potter... its raising children ina Godly way.

i agree that harry potter is evil, as much as everything else is evil. basicly, everything in this world can act as a way for children and adults to slip away from God.

If you feel that harry potter is the devils masterplan, then dont watch it... dont let your kids watch it ... but there are bigger issues in the world like living a holy life, and discipleship and evangelisim. if stuff like arguing over harry potter is our objective then our proirities are misplaced.

remember also that Jesus didnt tell his disciples to go become monks in some monastry and cut themselves off from evil...rather he sent them out to the world full of evils and he promised to be with them and his Spirit with them.

Reactions: DaveS
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Archangel said:
i can see how people would be concerned with harry potter... but if we take the stance that we as christians should not be part of harry potter because it contains and is themed around witchcraft, then we should also ban all movies with a witchcraft theme, including buffy, charmed, movies like the craft... and yes disney movies with witches and fairys and genies etc etc. we should also ban lord of the rings because there is violence and witchcraft in it... and star wars, yes star wars contains the force... a buddist zen based idea... and so on and so forth.

i dont really care about harry potter... i dont defend it or attack it... but what i do know is that the issue is not banning harry potter... its raising children ina Godly way.

i agree that harry potter is evil, as much as everything else is evil. basicly, everything in this world can act as a way for children and adults to slip away from God.

If you feel that harry potter is the devils masterplan, then dont watch it... dont let your kids watch it ... but there are bigger issues in the world like living a holy life, and discipleship and evangelisim. if stuff like arguing over harry potter is our objective then our proirities are misplaced.

remember also that Jesus didnt tell his disciples to go become monks in some monastry and cut themselves off from evil...rather he sent them out to the world full of evils and he promised to be with them and his Spirit with them.
:amen:

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
Tonks said:
Excellent.

This whole thread is dumb. The fourth movie was great. Harry Potter is not evil. In 5 years Hermonie will be hot.

There...that pretty much covers everthing.

The fourht movie was so bad to me i hated it and don't know if i am going to watch anymore

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
✟13,683.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Haggai said:
Well, do as you wish. These mediums of evil are setting people astray, and if you find these evils pleasurable, then pleasure yourselves with them as much as you want. These are real dangers and should not be set aside as fanatic conclusions.

I take it you don't like C.S Lewis' 'Narnia Chronicles' then?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.