• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Church of England’s Imminent Death Brings Opportunities

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Fenwick, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+9,350
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I do not mean to sound triumphalist at all in drawing your attention to the terminal status of this rival church. I was raised in a conservative Episcopalian family, now a laughable contradiction, and before I abandoned it for teenage rebellion, I loved that church. In fact, setting questions of sacrament and doctrine aside, I preferred it to many of the liturgies I attend now as a Catholic. It felt like a full expression of the English-speaking Christian heritage, connecting you to something bigger, older, and firmer—similar to the pull that brings many to the Latin Mass. So, rather than cheap mockery, I point out this death because I think it presents a few great opportunities for Catholics. ​

The Church of England’s Imminent Death Brings Opportunities

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother? Supporter

+8,176
    United States
    Catholic
    Married

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  3. Fenwick

+9,350
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I've never read this guy's work before, but he and I are 100% on the same wavelength. I like where his head's at.

4. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+702
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    The church of England will not die out, there will still be falling away just like the NT say's but the gospel will not disappear in the UK.

When I was looking for a "reasonable" church I attended many services at the local Episcopal Church, and you are correct the Book of Common Prayer contains the most beautiful liturgies ever written.

In the end, the Lutherans (LCMS) won out, this was the late 1990's and the liberal policies were already visible, and I just could not go there.

5. Fenwick

+9,350
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    No the gospel won't disappear but it won't be the established Church of England that's offering it (or any of it's branches overseas in communion with them).

6. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,202
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Are you predicting the demise even of conservative members of the Anglican Communion like the Church of Nigeria?

7. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,061
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    I often talk about "my old pastor" as he was so prophetic.

He died in January 1992, but amongst his thoughts were that Western Europe would go "Moslem". It would be more political than religious, probably driven by the need for energy.

The Vatican would be forced to move to South America, where Spanish and Portuguese missionaries and colonists set up Catholicism right through the continent - I'd assume Rio de Janeiro as the center, with it's enormous statue of Christ looking down from the mountain.

He thought Russia would revert to the Orthodox Church, which is already happening, although the wall had come down before he died.

And he thought Britain would revert to Catholicism.

If it does, I fail to see why the better parts of the Anglican liturgy could not be retained. There needs to be some give and take on both sides.

8. Fenwick

+9,350
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I mean they essentially already have in the Ordinariate's assimilation of English patrimony, I suppose their Divine Worship would be adopted more broadly in the UK as the standard form of Mass. Which would be glorious, it's the standard for a vernacular Mass IMO.

9. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+702
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Europe going Muslim...very possible, as a whole, they have lost their footing. I do believe some Christians would still remain.