The Church as mother.

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In ordinary terms, using the ordinary meaning of the words, but with a slight spiritual twist, the Church is mother of all who come to faith because it is through the Church that the gospel is preached and people come to new birth through her work and inside her as they are fed from the scriptures and the liturgy and the holy Eucharist. Protestant pastors and churches do the same, they evangelise, they nurture in the faith, according to their tradition, and guide the faithful to become evangelists in the world.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
With all due respect, I reject the church as mother. I would rather have God as mother, father, siblings. I would accept church as mother if by that we meant the universal body of Christ that follows Jesus, but the "church as mother" is not that. Church as mother is a human institution, and history shows fairly well that the human institution stays too drunk with power to follow Christ

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
With all due respect, I reject the church as mother. I would rather have God as mother, father, siblings.
Well, the Church is Christ's body, and he's God, so, you do have God as Father, Mother, and siblings because you're in the church (body of Christ). Don't worry, you will not become a Catholic if you confess that that the church is your mother :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
L
Well, the Church s Christ's body, and he's God, so, you do have God as Father, Mother, and siblings because you're in the church (body of Christ). Don't worry, you will not become a Catholic if you confess that that the church is your mother :)

Lol. Thank you. :) I love the Catholic Church. I love the Orthodox Church. All the best theology, philosophy, and spiritual practices come from those traditions. But they are clearly human institutions because 1) they are not one and 2) they dabble way too much in human power, i.e., the power of force and coercion. But I have love for those traditions because Christ worked good in spite of them, which is always the case. ;)

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
But they are clearly human institutions because 1) they are not one and 2) they dabble way too much in human power, i.e., the power of force and coercion. But I have love for those traditions because Christ worked good in spite of them, which is always the case. ;)
Yet the gospel does say that the gates of hell will not overcome the Church that Jesus builds. That church still exists. That is the implication of the Jesus words.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In ordinary terms, using the ordinary meaning of the words, but with a slight spiritual twist, the Church is mother of all who come to faith because it is through the Church that the gospel is preached and people come to new birth through her work and inside her as they are fed from the scriptures and the liturgy and the holy Eucharist. Protestant pastors and churches do the same, they evangelise, they nurture in the faith, according to their tradition, and guide the faithful to become evangelists in the world.
Is there a "Church as mother" text in scripture that you know of where the mother is someone on Earth?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, the Church is Christ's body, and he's God, so, you do have God as Father

You don't have church as mother, what you get is that Christ is the head of the church and the church is the body of Christ in scripture.

There is no "God is Father of the church" -- but each one calls Him Father.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is there a "Church as mother" text in scripture that you know of where the mother is someone on Earth?
Look hard and you will find, as the Lord said, Seek and you will find.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, the Church is Christ's body, and he's God, so, you do have God as Father, Mother, and siblings because you're in the church (body of Christ). Don't worry, you will not become a Catholic if you confess that that the church is your mother :)
Gal 3:28 , says , There CANNOT be Male and Female for you ARE one in Christ .

The Greek NOT , CANNOT / OV is a DISJUNCATIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE and mean There NO MALES AND NO FEMALES in the BODY OF CHRIST and NEVER MEANS NEverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dan p

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

The Greek NOT , CANNOT / OV is a DISJUNCATIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE and mean There NO MALES AND NO FEMALES in the BODY OF CHRIST and NEVER MEANS NEverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dan p
Does this means that you eschew the "Lords' Prayer" aka the "Our Father" since it references the Father?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's a metaphor that has history.
“No one can have God for his Father, who has not the Church for his mother.” ― Saint Cyprian of Carthage

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's a metaphor that has history.
“No one can have God for his Father, who has not the Church for his mother.” ― Saint Cyprian of Carthage
Agreed, I admit to learning it from holy mother Church and sharing it as I was taught :)

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

dan p
Why "cannot" and does "cannot" have theological significance in your religion?

The passage says
For you are all sons of God, through the faith which is in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized in Christ have become clothed with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek; there is neither servant nor free; there is neither male nor female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then are you the seed of Abraham, heirs according to the promise.
Galatians 3:26-29 CPDV2009
So it is baptism that brings the faithful into communion with the Lord, Jesus Christ, and in Christ there's no discrimination based on sex, status, or nationality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I responded to this some years ago, and thank you for jogging my memory!

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I responded to this some years ago, and thank you for jogging my memory!
I hope the memory is pleasant and that God is your Father and the church your mother. Amen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums