The Book of Mormon

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyjoe

Feb 2, 2005
✟222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have read a lot about the book of Mormon in these posts. I really don't think anything was proven either way. Maybe it never will be. What I want to know is: Is there any evidence in the Bible that there would be a Book of Mormon, or any other book of scripture? And, on the other hand, is there any evidence that there wouldn't? Also, why would there need to be another book if God's word is already in the Bible?

Please keep your answers on track, and not resort to criticising Joseph Smith or pointing out problems with the book itself. I just want to know what the Bible says on the subject.

Ratiocination

Apr 28, 2004
London
✟4,702.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Private
stinkyjoe said:
I have read a lot about the book of Mormon in these posts. I really don't think anything was proven either way. Maybe it never will be. What I want to know is: Is there any evidence in the Bible that there would be a Book of Mormon, or any other book of scripture? And, on the other hand, is there any evidence that there wouldn't? Also, why would there need to be another book if God's word is already in the Bible?
stinkyjoe said:
Please keep your answers on track, and not resort to criticising Joseph Smith or pointing out problems with the book itself. I just want to know what the Bible says on the subject.
I'd be interested to know the answer to this aswell, i think i remember a mormon who said that it is refered to in the Bible somewhere, so i'm all ears.

Upvote 0

gort

pedantric
Sep 18, 2003
Visit site
✟26,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi deneel, so what verses do they use to support their belief?

Hi Ratio, long time no see....:)

I can recollect the '2 sticks' verse as one of them. In reality, I don't pay much attention to it. I'm more focused on the differences of Jesus and the atonement.

They will use the '3rd heaven' verse, along with the '1st and 2nd heaven' verses to denote their 3 glories, or subdivisions of heaven as an interpretation.

But whatever the case, and after reading some synopsis' of the BOA, I find that they believe that the gospel was taught when Adam and Ever were here, and has subsequently been lost, due to the inerrancies of man.

Perhaps, in the final anaylsis, what the bible has to say, ( according to them) really does'nt matter.

<><

Upvote 0

Mosiah10_5

Jan 16, 2005
✟309.00
Faith
stinkyjoe said:

There are several references in the Bible to the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. The need for the Book is because of men losing parts of His word, and not interpreting it correctly. In addition, God has always revealed more about Himself and His doctrine each time a new prophet came, and each time a new dispensation came about. So, the Book of Mormon not only restores what is missing from the bible, it gives more than was present before. The BoM, together with the other latter-day scriptrue, consititues this restitution and continuation of His word.

Many say that we reduce God, by saying that He couldn't preserve His word. We don't do that at all. Through the Book of Mormon, He provided a way for His word to be back on the earth in its complete form again, thus preserving His word. He knew that He could not keep His word in written form, because of the writtings, and the writters, imperfect nature.

God Bless,
Mosiah10_5

Upvote 0

zeontes

May 2, 2004
✟574.00
Faith
Hmmn lets see the Word of God has lost some of its contents, very interesting. Now if the Book of Mormon fills in the blank it cannot contradict the Bible. We already have 30000 different groups who variously interpret what is written. Now if we add the BoM will that really clear the air? Gee, I don't see how that is gonna help. Why, you may ask. Simply because people believe what they want to believe. It is not a matter of having more words to read it is a matter of believing what is written. I would venture to say that there is plenty of division within the LDS as well. The only way to stop division is to develop some sort of mind control techniques, such as fear of eternal damnation for disagreeing with the honcho in power.

The verses that indicate that the BoM is unnecessary and in error would be found in the Church Epistles addressed to the Church. Galatians and Colossians both deal with the issues that seem to be points of contention with the beliefs of the LDS.

Upvote 0

Aceman1992

Mar 3, 2005
✟207.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
zeontes said:
We already have 30000 different groups who variously interpret what is written. . . Why, you may ask. Simply because people believe what they want to believe.
I think you hit it on the head. If we believed what God wants us to believe, there would be only one interepretation, not 30000. ;)

Upvote 0

GL2814

The Green Lantern
Jan 21, 2003
Space Sector 2814
Visit site
✟9,353.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
stinkyjoe said:

The book of mormon is a FAIRY TALE BOOK!!! There is no evidence that supports anything in the book. It is 100% FICTION!!! Joseph Smith made it all up.

Upvote 0

Bond Slave

Jan 24, 2005
✟542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Mosiah10_5 said:
There are several references in the Bible to the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. The need for the Book is because of men losing parts of His word, and not interpreting it correctly. In addition, God has always revealed more about Himself and His doctrine each time a new prophet came, and each time a new dispensation came about. So, the Book of Mormon not only restores what is missing from the bible, it gives more than was present before. The BoM, together with the other latter-day scriptrue, consititues this restitution and continuation of His word.

Many say that we reduce God, by saying that He couldn't preserve His word. We don't do that at all. Through the Book of Mormon, He provided a way for His word to be back on the earth in its complete form again, thus preserving His word. He knew that He could not keep His word in written form, because of the writtings, and the writters, imperfect nature.

God Bless,
Mosiah10_5
What, praytell, does the bom restore to the Bible? Actually, it plagiarizes a great deal but there is nothing in the bom that was needed to understand God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Bond Slave said:
What, praytell, does the bom restore to the Bible? Actually, it plagiarizes a great deal but there is nothing in the bom that was needed to understand God.
Sure there is. The Book of Mormon is much better at bringing out the nature and will of God. That is one of it's most important attributes.

(We all know you are using the word plagiarize to press buttons, since we know that you know it wasn't plagiarized. So we aren't going to respond to it anymore. But we know that you know. ;) )

Upvote 0

gort

pedantric
Sep 18, 2003
Visit site
✟26,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jenda quote:

Sure there is. The Book of Mormon is much better at bringing out the nature and will of God. That is one of it's most important attributes.

You've peeked my interest with this statement. If you would explain sometime, it would be appreciated.

daneel rolls up his sleeves again to show that, at this point, there is nothing there....at this point.

thanx

<><

Upvote 0

coyoteBR

greetings
Jan 18, 2004
✟2,288.00
Faith
Hm.
If you put your mind to it, you can find references to anything you want in the Bible.
Likewise, if you put your mind to it, you can find errors, mistakes and impossibilities in the holly book of any religion, no exception.

As I see it, does not matter if the Book of Mormons is 100% true, 100% false or somewhere in between. It is part of an organization that many people choosed to see and act the Love of Christ thru.

And we must agree the mormon tree has some good fruits to show worldwide.

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Bond Slave said:

You keep making this unsubstantiated allegation.

References please to the plagiarism you are referring to.

Upvote 0

Swart

ÜberChristian
Mar 22, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟24,687.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
GL2814 said:
The book of mormon is a FAIRY TALE BOOK!!! There is no evidence that supports anything in the book. It is 100% FICTION!!! Joseph Smith made it all up.

And you know this...how?

Have you read the BoM?

It is probably the most widely judged book by those who have never read it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Aceman1992 said:
I think you hit it on the head. If we believed what God wants us to believe, there would be only one interepretation, not 30000. ;)

Which church do you attend? If I recall correctly, you made the claim you were from the restorationist tradition.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
daneel said:
You've peeked my interest with this statement. If you would explain sometime, it would be appreciated.

daneel rolls up his sleeves again to show that, at this point, there is nothing there....at this point.

thanx

<><
The BoM does quite a good job of bringing out the nature of the Trinity, much moreso than the Bible, and, in the Bible there are many things said in passing or without much discussion that are spoken of much deeper in the BoM. Of course, some of those things you don't agree with (and we have discussed them before), but because Jesus modeled them, I believe their importance is increased.

I was really just passing through and was just going to read and not respond, but I didn't want anyone to think I was passing this up, so I will try to remember it later today when I have more time. (Or if someone wants to bump it up for me, I would be appreciative. :o )

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.