United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Tradition of the Elders
Matt 15:1-20
(see also Mrk 7:1-23)

Now we come on a situation where the scribes and Pharisees were questioning Yeshua. They were concerned about the disciples not keeping the traditions of the elders in regards to the washing of their hands before they ate. Yeshua responded with "Why are you breaking the commandments of God because of your traditions"? He continues with "God said to honor your father and mother, (Ex 20:12) yet (I'm paraphrasing) you teach the people that the money you have put aside to help your parents should be given to us instead and it's ok for you to tell them that the money has been given to God and you don't have to help your parents". The elders were makeing traditions that supposedly over-ruled the word of God. Yeshua called them hypocrites and applied Isaiah's prophecy in Is 29:13 to them:
  • "This people honors Me with their lips but their hears are far distant away from Me; and they are worshipping Me in vain teaching teachings that are commandments of me."
In other words, "Men cannot change God's laws no matter who they say they are". God's laws are God's laws, they have not been changed. However, there are some "traditions" (all churches have them in some form or another) that are being practiced that we are being told have been over-ridden and that God's laws are no longer in place, but according to God's word, those are lies. If God said it, it's still applicable.

So moving on :)

Yeshua summons the crowd and he says, (paraphrased) "You must understand, it's not what enters the mouth that defiles a person, it's what comes out of him that does. Many people in the church use this verse to show that it undoes the food laws that God set forth but it does not.

• Eating food forbidden in scripture will not cause you to lose your eternal life, but we now know a diet excessive in the forbidden foods will shorten your life span on earth, as will ignoring Act 15:20 and warnings in the Hebrew Scriptures, and by overeating. ~One New Man Bible~
God said certain creatures were unclean. It is my personal thought that it's not saying that it will make, "You" unclean but that "It" is unclean. It's not food. We should not ingest it into our bodies. It's bad for us. We may not understand the reasoning of God for His instructions, but they are for our good and not our harm. Here are some other thoughs from a Messianic teaching. I found it interesting.

So, after hearing Yeshua call the Pharisees hypocrites and applied that prophet Isaiahs words to them, the disciples pull Yeshua aside and tell him the pharisees were offended by what he said. Yeshua responded with "Every plant my Father did not plant will be uprooted. You must leave them them: they are blind guides, of blind: and if blind would guide blind, both will fall into a pit." This is where the statement "blind leading the blind comes from." This is why it's important for us to study on our own. Yes, we can learn from others, but if we are not searching on our own, what someone else told us might be wrong, then we are teaching someone else wrong, and so on and so on. When you find you have been wrong, repent, and move on. Do what you can to rectify the wrongness, but for heavens sake don't just continue being wrong just because of tradition.

Peter then asks Yeshua to explain the parable. Yeshua responded with, (paraphrased) "Do you still not understand? Everything we physically eat eventually makes it's way through and out the body into the toilet. But the things that come out of your mouth (see Mt 12:34, Prov 4:23, Prov 10:11, Ps 14:1) are from the heart. These things defile the person. Out of the heart come every evil thing, evil thoughts, murder, adulteries, immoralities, thefts, false witnesses, blasphemies. These things are what defiles the person. To eat with unwashed hands though does not defile the person.

You may reply to this post here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Canaanite Woman's Faith
Matt 15:21-28
(See also Mrk 7:24-30)

Now we see Yeshua in a discussion with someone that causes some confusion for some. When reading it at face value he seems to be quite rude to the woman, which is not charistic for Yeshua towards someone crying out for mercy. According to the New Man Bible, "Asking for mercy was an idiom for asking for forgiveness. The people understood that sickness was caused by sin".

This is not to say that everyone that is sick has sinned. As in the situation with the man in the born blind and the disciples asked Yeshua if he or his parents had sinned and Yeshua replied, "Neither, it is so that the works of God might be displayed in him." In this case however, because the daughter of the woman was demon possessed, I believe there was either the sin of the daughter or the sin of the mother that brought it on. The mother is the one asking for mercy, therefore, I believe it was quite likely her who was responsible. Just my opinion though. I have no proof either way. I am open to the thoughts of others.

I personally don't think Yeshua views the woman as a dog. I think he's pointing out that according traditional Jewish thought toward the Canaanite's she is not deserving of mercy. Why? Who were the Canaanite's?

• They were a wicked, idolatrous people descended from Noah’s grandson Canaan, who was a son of Ham (Genesis 9:18). Canaan was cursed because of his and his father’s sin against Noah (Genesis 9:20–25). In some passages, Canaanites specifically refers to the people of the lowlands and plains of Canaan (Joshua 11:3); in other passages, Canaanites is used more broadly to refer to all the inhabitants of the land, including the Hivites, Girgashites, Jebusites, Amorites, Hittites, and Perizzites (see Judges 1:9–10). ~Got Questions~
As Yeshua passed through the area this woman began following them and crying out for him to "have mercy". He initially did not answer her, seemingly ignoring her request. The disciples immediately approached him telling him he must take heed to her request, send her away (by meeting her request) because she was creating quite a stir behind them, following them and crying out.

Finely, Yeshua stopped and spoke to her saying, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the House of Israel."

Who were the lost sheep of Israel?
  • They were the sinners, tax-collectors, harlots, and backslidden among the Jewish people—the “secular Jews” of the day who had abandoned Torah and the religion of their fathers. For Yeshua “did not come to call the righteous, but sinners” (Matthew 9:13). ~Jewish Voice~
So Yeshua was telling her that his ministry was to the Jewish people who had strayed from Torah, not a wicked nation who was known for their wickedness and being a lure to drawing the sheep away. The Canaanites were considered excessively wicked and were despised by the Jews.

According to the womans responces, she was fully aware of how the Canaanites were viewed by the Jews. She did not defend herself though. She fully accepted the derogitory title and submitted to it. When Yeshua said that it was not good that his message be given to the "dogs (those who despised it), her response was totally submissive...she was willing to crawl under the lowness of the meal table (the tables were low and diners sat on the floor to eat, only puppies would be able to get underneath) to get any crumbs that were dropped. Such faith. Faith that Yeshua was impressed by.

Her daughter was healed instantly.

This reminds me of the scripture in Mic 6:8 He has told you, humanity, what is good, and what Adonai is seeking from you: Only to practice justice, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

This woman had not been a follower of Yeshua until he came walking past her town. She knew who he was though and threw herself at his feet begging for his mercy. He seemingly cast her away but it made her throw herself even lower. She did not come up with excuses, she freely admitted what her place in that society was, and by doing so, Yeshua was moved to action. Her need was met.

How about when the Holy Spirit reveals our inner man to us? Do we come up with excuses as to why we are the way we are? Do we fall into sulking because of who we are or are we able to freely admit our failures and throw ourselves on The Father's mercy and allow Him to meet our need? Someting to think about.

You may respond to this posting here.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Healing of Many People
Matt 15:29-31

Here again, I am struck by the fact that Yeshua could barely have moments to himself. After his encounter with the Canaanite women he leaves and walks to the lake of Galilee. We don't know which mountain, but he started climbing one. I believe it was to get away from the throngs of people that were constantly following him. Even here though, they came.

We don't know which mountain, but here is a picture of the area where it could have happened:

2270378752_ea7fdd3268_b.jpg

It says that he went up on the mountain and he was sitting there, probably conversing with The Father and I believe he watched as the immense crowds came up the mountain. I think if it were me, I would be trying to find a place to hide, but not Yeshua. It does not say where the disciples were but I can just imagine them trying to do crowd control. LOL

An immense crowd, having with them the lame, blind, deformed, deaf, and many others When they reached him they began to just lay the sick at his feet and he healed them. He loved. And they gave glory to the God of Israel.

You may post a response to this post here.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Feeding of the Four Thousand
Matt 15:32-39
(see also Mark 8:1-10)

It does not really say, but this event seems to take place right after Yeshua has healed all the people that came to him while he was on the mountain. They had been there for three days. Men, women, and children camping out in the wilderness for three days, waiting for their chance to get to him and be healed. Some of them had totally ran out of food. How had they carried the food they had initially brought, if any? What did they sleep on? What covered them as they slept? Did they have wagons, barrels, etc, that they carried everything with in order to meet the needs of the families? Were there donkeys loaded up with their stuff? So many questions. :)

So Yeshua looks out on them and says (paraphrased), "I do not want to send them away without feeding them. They might become ill on the way back to their homes because they have no food". We see his compassion again, his concern for their well-being and his desire to not send them home hungry. He did not have the attitude of "They should have come more prepared" or "I've already spent three days with these people healing them, let them fend for themselves what they will eat". He had compassion and wanted to make sure they were not sent away hungry.

His disciples, apparently not remembering the other mass feeding said, "from where do we get enough food in the wilderness to feed all these people?" Yeshua asks them, "How much food do you have?" They replied, "Seven loaves, and a few fish".

Yeshua tells the crowd to recline on the ground. He took the seven loaves and the few fish, and after he gave thanks (The Feeding of the Five Thousand for what that prayer likely was) he broke them into pieces which he gave to the disciples and they gave it out to the people...all 4000 plus. Think of how many hours that must have taken.

After they are all fed and fully satisfied Yeshua dismisses them and send them home. The left overs gathered were seven hampers full. According to the One New Man Bible, "The hamper was large, being used in Act 9:25 to describe Paul's being lowered through the Damascus city wall". That's a good amount of food left over. It does not say what they did with it, but I'm pretty sure none of it went to waste.

You may reply to this post here.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Demand for a Sign
Matt 16:1-4
(See also Mrk 8:11-13, Lke12:54-56)

Now we see the Pharisees and Sadducees trying to test Yeshua. They asked him for a sign. A sign? Really? They had seen him heal the blind, the lame, the demon possessed. He'd fed 5000, then 4000 from just a few fish and loaves of bread and they're asking for a sign. He breathed a heavy sigh.

He tells them, (paraphrased) you know the signs of the sky when it will rain or be good or bad but you don't understand the signs of the times? He tells them that it's an evil and adulterous generation that demands signs. Today in our world we see an evil and adulterous people. They have evil intentions, even in some that are in our churches. Being evil in wanting numbers and popularity over teaching the truth. Adulterous in serving other gods and their ways while claiming to be followers of God.

Yeshua tells them, "a sign will not be given" except the sign of Jonah. It's interesting to note that the other scripture reference to this conversation do not include the part of "except for the sign of Jonah". In Mark and Luke, he tells them simply "I'm not giving you a sign".

Many believe "except fo the sign of Jonah" in Matthew is referencing the 3 days and nights that Yeshua was in the grave. However there is some debate with that. Some interesting thoughts on it can be found in an addio here. Just some things to consider.

What about the part where he says, you understand the signs of the weather, but you don't understand the "signs of the times". So, what are the signs of the times? Here are a few thoughts on that question.

These are just starters and you can continue your own research on your own if you like. :)

After saying he wasn't going to give them a sign Yeshua just walks away. I love his style. :)

You may reply to this post in the Peanut Gallery.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees
Matt 16:5-12
(See also Mrk 8:14-21)

Next we see the disciples coming to where Yeshua is and they did not bring any bread to tide them over until they would need to eat. Yeshua said to them, "Be careful of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees. Remember in the parables "leaven" was used as a symbol for sin. The question, in my mind anyway, is, "is everything the Pharisees and Saducees teach wrong?"

I personally don't think so. After all, at a later time, Yeshua did say, "do what they tell you but don't do as they do". (Matt 23:3) I happen to think too that Yeshua as well as the Apostles were part of the Pharisees. They all followed Torah, written and oral, however, here is also where they ran into trouble with the Pharisees.

The Pharisees, while teaching the right stuff also had added extensions of the law that went beyond what God via Moses had said. They applied Jewish law to mundane activities in order to sanctify the every day world. I think in the beginning these activities were intended for good, to aid in someone not even accidently missing the mark, but by the time it got to Yeshua's time, it had become legalistic...they "had" to do all these things in order to be right with God, period. We see Yeshua clashing frequently with the Pharisee leaders over the "mundane", not the law itself.

So, I see the leaven of the Pharisee's as "doing the works thinking it's going to save you because you do them." We are saved when we turn from our wicked ways and follow God, any works we do (whether written in scripture or just out of our love for God) is just that...our love for God.

Of course, as frequently happened with the disciples, they did not understand what Yeshua was talking about and thought he was repremanding them for not bringing bread. He reminded them that he could create bread out of little or nothing, why did they not remember that? Why did they still not understand?

"Be wary of the leaven of the Pharisees and Saducees." Don't get caught up in the legalism of it all. It's not wrong to do what they teach, but it is wrong to go through the actions but your heart not be with it. "Do as they say, but don't do as they do". It's all about the heart. If you grudgenly obey without your heart at some point coming into line, then it's pointless. It does nothing for you and God says He hates it. In Is 1:13 " I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting." Paraphrased, He cannot endure the coming together in sacred meetings while their actions the rest of the time their thoughts and actions were sinful. There was no actual repentance. Just going through the motions, but no actual change. I think we see this a lot in our churches too. Our churches sometimes have just as many mundane rules and regulations they if you "do" or "dont" then you are not really saved. That is leaven.

The Saducees were Helenists. They rejected the oral law. They did not believe in an after life and their main focus were the rituals in the temple. Again, lots of pomp but no heart change.

"Be wary of the leaven". It's not a command of "don't do anything they teach" ,but don't do without allowing God to changing your heart, which was the purpose of the instructions that God gave Moses to give to the people. (Ez 20:11)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Peter's Declaration about Yeshua
Matt 16:13-20
(See also Mrk 8:27-30, Lke 9:18-21)

• Note: You will most likely notice that for this teaching I use the Complete Jewish Bible Version. Generally, I tend to not use that one because I think a lot of readers get lost in all the "actual words used" for everything. For this teaching I'm using it mainly for the word "Mashiach". Most translations render it "Christ".
Now we see Yeshua entering Caesarea Philippi. An area over thirty miles north of Bethsaida, where Yeshua had healed and fed over 4,000 people. It is a great distance to walk. See map.

Yeshua and his disciples were talking and Yeshua asked them, "who do the people say that I am?" Their answers varied. They said that some said he was John the Immerser (Baptist), and others Elijah and others Jeremiah, or one of the other ancient prophets. Then Yeshua asked, "who do you say that I am?"

Peter quickly spoke up and said, "You are the Mashiach"

• The term “Messiah” is a Jewish theological term. The Hebrew word “Mashiach” is found in verb form 69 times in the Hebrew Scriptures and it means “to anoint,” usually with oil. The Greek word “christos” is derived from the verb “chrio” which means to “smear” or “anoint.” When the Hebrew “Mashiach” was transliterated into the Greek language, the result was “Messias.” Therefore, “Messiah” is the anglicized form of the Greek transliteration from the Hebrew or Aramaic “Mashiach.” ~Jesus As Messiah In The Gospels~

With this exclamation from Peter, Yeshua was quite pleased. If they all did not understand yet, at least Peter understood perfectly who he was. According to Yeshua, because Peter understood this he was blessed. Human understanding had not revealed this to Peter but God The Father Himself had.

He told Peter that he was his name, Peter means Rock. And on this rock Yeshua would build His community and the gates of hell would not prevail against the community. Yeshua said he would give the keys of the Kingdom of the Heavens, and whatever he would bind on earth will have been bound in heaven with ongoing effect. Whatever he would loose upon the earh will already have been loosed in the heavens with ongoing effect.

• This "rock" is the feminine, meaning rock. Peter's name is masculine, meaning a piece of a rock. The masculine form is used only for Peter's name in the New Testament. Peter's actual name was the Aramaic word Kefa, meaning a rock about the size of a man's hand. ~One New Man Bible~
  • This version uses the word Community. "Although often translated "church," no Greek word meaning church is used in the New Testament. ~One New Man Bible~
  • To Bind is a Hebrew idiom meaning forbid. Binding and loosing here refer specifically to the judicial applications for all the dietary, Sabbath, and other regulations, including civil law, and extend to the spiritual realm as well. ~One New Man Bible~
Added note to this last point: I had a Catholic person use this as a reason for the Catholic Church changing the Sabbath from the seventh day of the week that God says it is to the first day of the week. I disagree. I don't believe that we are allowed to change the things that God Himself set up and said was "forever". I could be wrong, but it does not make sense to me to say something is forever then allow a person somewhere down the line to say "Hmm, I like the first day of the week better so let's change it". Something to think about anyway.
At the end Yeshua commands his disciples to not reveal his being Mashiach to anyone. I personally think this was because such a revelation would have caused a rioteous situation and it was not time yet for that to happen. Other insights are welcome though. :)

You may respond to this post in the Peanut Gallery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yeshua Fortells His Death and Resurrection
Matt 16:21-28
(see also Mrk 8:31-9:1, Lke9:22-27)

Peter has just proclaimed Yeshua being Messiah and Yeshua blesses him for his understanding.

Yeshua begins telling them that he must go away to Jerusalem and suffer greatly at the hands of the elders and high priests and scribes. He tells them that he will be killed and then he will be raised up from the dead on the third day.

Peter, who had just spoke out a great revelation of him, politely takes him aside and rebuked him. Eek. Apparently Peter's head had swelled a bit with Yeshua blessing him and telling him how his revelation was from God and he felt he was in a place to "correct" the Rabbi. Peter told him "God forbid, that's not going to happen to you". Yeshua responded to him with referring to him as satan attempting to keep him from his mission. Then Yeshua began to teach the disciples about what it meant for Him to be Messiah and what it meant for them to be a true follower of Messiah.

First off, we are to think the things of God, not men. God had a plan in place and Yeshua intended to follow that plan. Peter's response was the plan of men. In their minds being the Messiah meant he was going to conquer all the bad and rescue them from the oppressors. But what Yeshua was describing was something their minds could not comprehend.

With Peter's words he challenged Yeshua's leadership. It was a defiant act No Rabbi would tolerate such defiance because disciples were expected to follow their Rabbi.

After Yeshua rebuked Peter and told him that he was "speaking for satan" he turned to his disciples and said, "If someone want's to follow me he must

1. deny himself and
  2. he must immediately take his cross and
  3. he must continually follow him."
The self-denial that Yeshua is talking about is difficult to comprehend, especially in this day and time. Denying oneself is sacrificing our own interests in order to follow God. In this day and time more people concerned about how they feel about something over how it may actually be "not loving" your neighbor. Not according to their terms, but according to God's terms.

What are we called to deny ourselves of? A self-centered life. A life centered on materialistic goals. Supporting evil power structures. Tailoring our lives upon what scripture on a whole teaches, not what is preferenced by those around us.

Self-denial is just the beginning of the list. He expects us to carry a cross. A cross is where someone dies. We're supposed to die to ourselves? :swoon: (Gal 5:24, 1 Pet 2:24) In following him, we do what he says, no matter how much it may pain us to do so.

• Let me note here that denying yourself of your earthly interests does not mean denying your family of your responsibilities to them. God has given instructions on that as well. With much prayer and study you figure it out how God expects you to keep your committments to your family as He instructed and also fulfill your obligations to HIM. It's all there in His word. He's already worked it out for you, you just need to find it.
Killing our fleshly desires is a big deal and immportant in our spiritual walk with God.
  • "For whoever would want to save his life will lose it,
  • but whoever will lose his life for my sake will find it."
If we refuse to "kill off" our fleshly desires that rule us, we will lose the life that we seek in Him. When we do "kill off" our fleshly desires that rule and reign over us then in that "killing off" which is oh so painful, we will find life beyond what our fleshly desires could ever give us.
  • Note: some religions teach us that self-denial is self inflicting oneself with punishment...walking for miles on their knees, whipping themselves, cutting themselves...that is demonic. Don't be led astray by such doctrine.
  • A good example of self-sacrifice might be when you earn more money than meets your needs, instead of buying yourself all the newest toys you find people who are in great need and help them. And for goodness sake, leave the cameras at home...that's a whole other teaching.
Other examples:
  • Fasting from food. Gluttony is a sin. If you have health issues don't hurt yourself, but talk with your dr and besides eating less quantity and healthier see if fasting for short periods would be ok. If there are no health issues and you have a indulgence issue, fasting is a means of denying your flesh.
Seek God on showing you the area's where you need to "kill off" your flesh and where you need to love Him more. If you mean it, He's pretty faithful to follow through with meeting your request.

Yeshua ends with "For what will a man profit if he would gain the whole world but would forfeit his very being? Or what will a man give in place of his life? For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will give back to each according to his actions."

To respond to this post you may do so in the Peanut Gallery.

Please ask questions if more clarification is needed. :)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Transfiguration of Yeshua
Matt 17:1-13
(See also Mrk 9:2-8, Lke 9:28-36)

It's six days later now and Yeshua takes Peter, Jacob (James), and John up a high mountain. It is not revealed which mountain it was and I don't think it really matters, just that it was high. It was just the three of them and Yeshua. I'm sure they must have talked along the way, but Yeshua never mentioned to them what was going to happen at the top of the mountain when they got there.

Matthew says "He was transformed before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his garments became white as the light"

• White garments represent being in a state of spiritual preparedness, from Ecc. 9:8 ~One New Man Bible~
Then Moses and Elijah appeared and were conversing with Yeshua. Peter, as he often did interrupted this conversation to ask Yeshuau if he should make booths, one for each of them. I have no clue why Peter thought this was needed, I think perhaps he was so stunned by what was going on that he felt like he had to say something, so that was what he said. LOL I think booth building was generally reserved for the Feast of Booths/Feast of Tabernacles.

While Peter was still talking a radient cloud came over them and from the cloud came a voice saying "This is my beloved son. With him I am well pleased. Listen to him". When Peter, James, and John heard the voice from the cloud they fell on their faces and were extremely frightened. I think most would be. Then Yeshua came to them, touched them and said, (paraphrased) "Get up and stop being afraid". When the disciples opened their eyes they saw only Yeshua.

It does not say how long they were there but when they started back down the mountain Yeshua ordered them to not tell anyone about what had happened on the mountain until after he had risen from the dead. He did not want anything to interfere with his plan to complete his mission of dying for the sins of the world and such a revelation could have done that. As he requested, they kept it to themselves until after he had risen.

During the conversation down the mountain, the disciples asked him, "Why do the scribes say that it is necessary for Elijah to come first? Yeshua answered, (paraphrased) "Elijah is coming and will restore all things." Then he says, "Elijah did come"and they did not recognize him and they beat him and killed him and this is also what must happen to me". They understood him to be talking about John the Immercer. Yeshua was not saying that Elijah had been reincarnated into John, but that John came in the same spirit of Elijah.

How was John the Immercer like Elijah?

• It had been foretold that John would prepare the way before the Messiah “with Elijah’s spirit and power.” (Luke 1:17) Accordingly, when Jesus linked John the Baptist with Elijah he was merely showing how the prophecy was fulfilled in John who did a work like that of Elijah of old.

About 450 years after Elijah’s time, Malachi prophesied that Elijah the prophet would appear “before the coming of the great and fear-inspiring day of Jehovah.” (Mal 4:5, 6) The Jews of Jesus’ day were in expectation of Elijah’s coming to fulfill this prophecy. (Mt 17:10) Some thought that Jesus was Elijah. (Mt 16:14) John the Baptizer, who wore a hair garment and a leather girdle around his loins as did Elijah, denied that he actually was Elijah in person. (2Ki 1:8; Mt 3:4; Joh 1:21) The angel had not told John’s father Zechariah that John would be Elijah, but that he would have “Elijah’s spirit and power . . . to get ready for Jehovah a prepared people.” (Lu 1:17) Jesus indicated that John did that work but was not recognized by the Jews. (Mt 17:11-13) After John’s death a visionary appearance of Elijah along with Moses occurred at Jesus’ transfiguration, indicating that there was something yet to take place as represented by the work that Elijah had done.—Mr 9:1-8. ~bladeemp_119~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Healing of a Boy with a Demon
Matt 17:14-21
(See also Mrk 9:14-29, Lke 9:37-43a)

This portions starts where the last one left off. Yeshua and 3 of the disciples were coming down where they saw Yeshua transfigured. There is a crowd waiting for them. Mark points out that Scribes were amongst the crowd carrying on a discussion with the disciples. In Mark it is recorded that Yeshua directly asks, "what are you discussing with them?" There is the impression that the Scribes are the instigaters of a commotion going on.

Upon seeing Yeshua a man yells out of the crowd and runs to him and kneeling down to him begs him to have mercy on his son because he is epileptic , he falls into the fire and into the water where it could kill him. Mark calls it a "mute spirit. In Luke it is called a spirit that takes him and suddenly it cries out and convulses him with foaming at the mouth". In this instance it was "spirit" related and not the same thing that we call epilepsy today. The boys father says so, the disciples said so, and Yeshua told a spirit to leave him. I do not think that every person who has what we know today as epilipsy has a demon, especially if medication is keeping it under control. I'm certainly willing to consider other thoughts on it though.

The man tells Yeshua that he has asked the disciples to cast the demon out but they have not been able to. Yeshua responded, " O faithless and twisted generation! How long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? (referencing from Deut 32:5) Bring him here to Me.” Then Yeshua rebuked the demon and it came out of him and never bothered him again.

Later the disciples asked him, "Why could we not cast it out?" Yeshua answered them, "Because of your little faith".

I came upon an article that explained things much better than I can on what was going on here regarding this particular type of demon. I'll quote the part that deals with this portion but link you to the whole article for your reading on your own. I enjoyed it.

• The act of casting out demons was not all that unusual in the Jewish world of that day. Even the Pharisees, rabbis, and their followers had the ability to cast out demons. But casting out demons within the framework of Pharisaic Judaism required one to use a specific ritual, which included three stages. First, the exorcist would have to establish communication with the demon, for when a demon speaks, he uses the vocal cords of the person he indwells. Second, after establishing communication with the demon, the exorcist would then have to find out the demon's name. Third, after finding out the demon's name, he could, by the use of that name, cast out the demon. There are occasions that Yeshua used the Jewish methodology, as in Mark 5, when He, being confronted with a demoniac, asked the question, What is your name? The answer on that occasion was, My name is Legion for we are many.

However, there was one kind of demon against which Judaism's methodology was powerless, and that was the kind of demon who caused the controlled person to be dumb or mute. And, because he could not speak, there was no way of establishing communication with this kind of a demon; no way of finding out this demon's name. So, within the framework of Judaism, it was impossible to cast out a dumb demon. The rabbis had taught, however, that when the Messiah came, He would be able to cast out this type of demon. This was the second of the three messianic miracles: the casting out of a dumb or mute demon. In verse 22, that is exactly the kind of demon Jesus casts out.
  • Matthew 17:14-20, Mark 9:14-29 and Luke 9:37-43 record an incident dealing with the time when Yeshua and three of His disciples came down from the mount where He was transfigured. When they came back to where the other nine disciples had been left behind, they found a problem; a man brought his demon-possessed son to these disciples, but they were unable to cast out the demon. It is also interesting to note that the incident was instigated by Scribes and Pharisees.

According to Mark 9:14: And when they came to the disciples, they saw a great multitude about them, and scribes questioning with them.

The scribes were there to instigate this particular situation. A specific demonic boy was brought to these disciples, and they tried to cast out the demon but they were unable to do so. This somehow reflected on the Messiahship of Jesus. When He was confronted with the demoniac, He was able to cast out the demon. What was unique about this problem? The disciples had been able to cast out demons before. Why could not they cast out this demon?

Mark 9:17 reveals what kind of demon it was: And one of the multitude answered him, Teacher, I brought unto you my son, who has a dumb spirit; ...

This was a dumb demon, and the casting out of a dumb demon was the second messianic miracle. When the disciples could not cast out the dumb demon, it reflected on their claim that Yeshua was the Messiah. But then He came and did cast out the demon and performed that second messianic miracle again.

Then Mark 9:28-29 records why the disciples could not: And when he was come into the house, his disciples asked him privately, How is it that we could not cast it out? And he said unto them, This kind can come out by nothing, save by prayer.

Notice what Jesus said here, this kind, meaning a dumb demon. In this statement, He authenticated the Pharisaic observation that dumb demons were different and could not be cast out in a normal way. He told His disciples that the reason they could not cast out a dumb demon was because they were using the wrong method. While other demons could be commanded out in the name of Yeshua, in the case of a dumb demon, it could only be forced out by means of prayer. What His disciples should have done was not use the regular methodology that worked with other kinds of demons but simply trust God the Father to do it for them. So He authenticated the Pharisaic observation that dumb demons were different. ~The Three Messianic Miracles, by Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum~

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yeshua again Fortells His Death and Resurrection
Matt. 17:22-23
(See also Mrk 9:30-32, Lke 9:43-45)

After the casting out of the man with the demons Yeshua and his disciples gather in Galilee. We see here that Yeshua again tells his disciples what is ahead for him. They did not fully understand it though and were greatly grieved.

I think that they understood the part about him being "given over into the hands of men and being killed" but I don't know that they understood the "being raised on the third day".

Humans can be quite cruel when they mete out punishment so I think in their minds, they understood "being handed over to man for killing" meant torture. They could not bear the idea of such treatment on the one they had grown to love so much.

I'm reminded of David in 1 Chron 21:8-13 after David had disobeyed God's insructions and God gave David 3 choices to choose from for his punishment. Of the choices, David chose the one that was directly from the hand of God because of HIS great compassion (God did not torture) and begged that God would never allow him to fall into the hands of man...man is cruel as far as their immagination will take them.

It was this torturing mentality that Yeshua was telling his disciples that he was going to experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Payment of the Temple Tax
Matt 17:24-27

Leaving Galilee they went on to Capernaum.

• Capernaum is the Latin spelling of the Hebrew name Kafer Nahum. Kafer means town or village and Nahum means comfort, consolation. ~One New Man Bible~
Inside the city were the "collectors of the Temple tax", collecting the two drachma.
  • This is the half-shekel temple tax from Exod 30:13, 38:26. It was required from everyone 20 years old and older. The money was used for the upkeep and maintenance of the Temple.
Appairently, Yeshua must have walked right past them and they were able to get Peter and ask him, "Does'nt your teacher pay the two drachmas? Peter replied that he does indeed pay the taxes.

When they got to the house they were going to, Yeshua asked Peter, "What do you think Simon? From whom are the kings of the earth taking a tax? From their sons or others?" Simon answered, "From others" Yeshua answered that "The sons are indeed free".

• He was implying that He, the Son of the King of all creation, was exempt from paying a tax on a house that belonged to that King! He was, once again, claiming to be God’s Son! ~David Servant~
Yeshua technically was exempt from paying the Temple tax (he was the Son of the King of that Temple). However, to avoid unnecessary confushion and conflict with the people and the collectors who had quite likely followed them to the house and were waiting outside, he told Peter to go fishing. Yeshua told Peter that the first fish he caught would have a coin in it's mouth and Peter could pay the tax for them both.

You may reply to this teaching in the Peanut Gallery.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Greatest in the Kingdom
Matt 18:1-5
(See also Mrk 9:33-37, Lke 9:46-48)

This week on my Facebook page a friend posed the question, "Why do we not have servanthood conferences? We have lots of leadership conferences, but no servanthood conferences. In scripture, leadership is mentioned only 6 times but servant 900 times". Another friend responded, "Good question".

So the disciples ask Yeshua, "Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven"? In Mark it's recorded that Yeshua asked them what they were talking about while they were walking to Capernaum. They did not want to tell him, because they had been arguing over which of them was the greatest in the Kingdom. I'm thinking maybe there was a lot of bragging between them. Stuff like, "I've raised 2 lame people", or, "I healed 3 diseases", or "I cast out 5 demons". Stuff along those lines. We don't really know what the bragging was, but I'm sure there was a lot of it.

In answer to the question Yeshua called a child from the crowd to come sit with him. Marks version says he took the child into his arms. He told them they had to become like a child.

Some other words for childlike are:

• Unaffected
  • Unfeigned
  • Trusting
  • Trustful
  • Natural
  • Simple
  • Spontanious
These are all words that should begin to become part of who we are as we follow God. Note that is ok to learn from others but we should NEVER put our complete trust of our spiritual life in a person. Only God is to have that spot.

Adults tend to become cynical with age, while a child has yet to be over-run by the concerns of adults. Our relationship with God is to be a growing one. The things that concern us as adults slow us down and knock us off course. Adults tend to give up, children keep trying because they want that prize.

We are to grab onto the things of God and not allow "life" to drag us off course. We are to go after God with all we have and put our trust in His promises and His will, and His ways. He is our Father, and we are His children.

• Like a child, we should come before the Father, fully trusting in His Word, fully engaged in His Spirit, fully open to His love and His commandments.

Be changed. Repent and leave your baggage at God’s doorstep.

Then you can come before your wonderful God, arms and hearts wide open, loving and trusting as a child ~CCSB Web Team Calvary Chapel South Bay~

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Temptation To Sin
Matt 18:6-9
(See also Mrk 9:42-48 and Lke 17:1-2)

A lesson that I believe is most dominate in this portion is that leading another person into sin brings heavy judgement.

The disciples were being raised up to be leaders in the Kingdom of God. Yeshua instructed them that while sin was enevitable, they were not to be the one that caused another to sin. What we teach others and how we live as followers of Yeshua is important. If we are passing incorrect information by our words and our actions and others who trust us to "know", fall into sin as a result of our incorrect portrayal of a follower of God, it is better that a heavy millstone, one that is turned by a donkey be hung around the neck and that person thrown into the sea. Committing sin is one thing, leading others to sin is another and God does not take it lightly.

While it is important for each person to study for themselves, until they reach the point of understanding how to do that they are heavily dependent on what they are told and what is demonstrated for them....just like a child.

• A stumbling block is anyone who leads others to sin. Yeshua here is speaking to his disciples and when followers of Yeshua are in the habit of grumbling, complaining, and criticizing, or being worldly and materialistic or being conceited and prideful, or living loose and immoral lives or of cursing and speaking profanely they are likely causing others who know they are Yeshua followers to disregard the Good News of Messiah.

A stumbling block is anyone who claims to be a follower of Yeshua, but who by their actions are undermining that claim. The person who makes a false profession dishonors the name of Yeshua and causes others to stay away and to detest Messiah and the church. False professors not only shut themselves out of the kingdom, but they lead their children into a false, hypocritical religion which hurts and affects them. ~Roy Schwarcz, Through Jewish Eyes~
Give no cause for offense in anything, so that our ministry may not be blamed. (See 2 Cor 6:1-10)

If you're guilty of being a stumbling block, God's mercies abound. There is no need to beat yourself up. Repent and turn from your wicked ways and seek to make right the stumbling you have caused. HE remains faithful where we have failed and is ever ready to cover us with His mercies.

You may reply to this post in the Peanut Gallery

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Parable of the Lost Sheep
Matt 18:10-14
(See also Lke 15:3-7)

The bottom line in this parable is, Yeshua goes after the lost. :)

Instead of just going over what we already know about this parable I heard a video from 119 Ministries which delved a bit further into the background to what Yeshua was pointing to in this parable. It's a bit long but well worth the listen and they are quite thorough and informative. Enjoy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
A Brother Who Sins
Matt 18:15-20
(See also Luk 17:3)

This next portion of scripture deals in confronting a fellow believer over their sin. Such as, if you saw a fellow believer stealing something then you are to go to them privately and explain what you saw them do and ask them to explain what was going on. Show him where scripture says it's sin to steal (Ex 20:15). If he does not admit to what he did being wrong and you see him continue to steal then you must take 2 or 3 others whom you've told the situation to with you to confront your brother and show him again it is sin. If he still will not listen, then it must be brought to the congregation and he must then be regarded as on the same level as the heathen (unbeliever).

Then the subject seems to change. Yeshua starts talking about binding and loosing...so what's the deal?

Here is an article on binding and loosing from a Messianic perspective. In my opinion it brings together neatly from confronting a fellow believer who is in sin and the specific action the congregation should take in accordance with the person sinning repenting or not.

You may reply to this teaching in the Peanut Gallery

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The teaching will continue soon.

In the meantime, for those who celebrate Easter/Resurrection have a blessed Easter/Resurrection Sunday.

th

For those who celebrate Passover have a blessed Passover.
th

The two events are connected in many ways.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The Parable of the Unforgiving Servant
Matt 18:21-35

Every year the Jews read through Torah and the weekly readings correspond with the yearly festivals that God instructed His people to observe. Based on the last portion and this one I would guess that the season they are comming upon the season of Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur It's about being forgiven AND being forgiving. Both are necessary.

In the parable a man is forgiven of a great sin and allowed to go free. However, the forgiven man then see's another man who owe's him money so he grabs him up and demands that he pay him or he will throw the man in prison. The second man begs for mercy to be allowed to pay his debt in time, but the first man refuses and is unmerciful and throws the man into prison intil he can pay his debt.

In the meantime, the first man's debtor hears of the unmerciful actions of the man he had forgiven and has that man grabbed back up and had his debts reapplied and thrown into prison because of his unmerciful acts toward the man who had owed him a lesser amount than he himself had been forgiven of.

Forgiving others is a big deal to God and when we refuse (as apposed to struggle) to forgive what others have done to us (whether they ask forgiveness or not) puts us in a precarious position with God. Even in the Lords prayers there is the line "forgive us our trespasses AS we forgive those who trespass against us". When we refuse to forgive those who've trespassed against us, then our trespasses against God will not be forgiven.

I'd like to note that being forgiving does not mean that you allow someone to continually hurt you. You can be in a position to no longer hold anger and vengence against another and also seperate yourself from them and not put yourself in position to be manipulated and abused by them. In our aim to forgive it can be a struggle but we continue to cry out for God's help in doing so. We are judged in our refusal to forgive, not our struggle to forgive.

In conclusion to this portion of scripture, I quote a paragraph from "The Parables" by Brad H Young:

The parable shows the deep roots of Jesus' teachings in ancient Judaism. Jesus' Jewish theology of God saturates the drama of the story as the action moves from scene to scene. The listener is caught up into the plot of the mini-play and participates in the trial, triumph, and tribulation of the servant. What happens when it is impossible to pay one's creditor? Will debtors' prison become the final solution for a father and his family? The economic setting creates a realistic circumstance for the action of the story. The conflict of the drama involves money and a harsh prison sentence. The cultural and religious background is based on the teachings concerning the great day of fasting in Israel's sacred calendar, when each person seeks forgiveness from God. The creation of humanity, in the very image of God, demands full accountability, which means that one must be merciful in the same way that God shows mercy. The images created by the parable lead the listener to join the actors on the stage. Each individual must ask God for forgiveness of a colossal debt. To what extent, however, do I extend mercy to others who have wronged me?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Teaching About Divorce
Matt 19:1-12
(See also Mark10:1-12)

For this portion on divorce I'm going to refer you to a website that I feel did a very good job at explaining what Yeshua was talking about here....much better than I could do. It is a Messianic website. You just need to scroll down an inch or two and the subject title Divorce & Re-Marriage will be right there.

On the last part of this reading though, verses 10 - 12 I'd like to make a separate note. :) I'm going to quote those three last verses from The Complete Jewish Bible. It made it a little more clear to me.

• 10 The talmidim said to him, “If that is how things are between husband and wife, it would be better not to marry!” 11 He said to them, “Not everyone grasps this teaching, only those for whom it is meant. 12 For there are different reasons why men do not marry — some because they were born without the desire, some because they have been castrated, and some because they have renounced marriage for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whoever can grasp this, let him do so.
When God created Adam He said it was not good for man to be alone so God made Adam a help mate. Here in Matt we have Yeshua saying it is "best" if a man/woman can remain unmarried that they do so. Yeshua also clarifies though that not all people can accept that decision. It's not a requirement to be married. But if you have no desire to be married, do not push it. There is nothing bad about not getting married.

There is also nothing bad about getting married, but it is expected that you remain faithful to your spouse and treat them with love and respect.

You may respond to this portion in the Peanut Gallery.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Little Children Blessed
Matt19:13-15
(See also Mark10:13-16, Luke18:15-17)

With all the people that followed Yeshua it seems quite likely there were many, many children and they were drawn to Yeshua. In this scripture ref he is surrounded by them and he's laying his hands on them and blessing them.

Now I don't think the disciples disliked children, I think they just thought the commotion that children often bring with them would be too much for Yeshua who had likely already spent the day teaching and laying hands and healing on the adults. Howecer, Yeshua intervened and told them to allow the children. Then he laid hands on each who came to him and blessed them.
:sparklingheart:

Last edited:
Upvote 0