Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It does tell you something. You're just not being honest about it. If there is no reason to believe the book why believe it? There needs to be a positive reason doesn't there?

When did I claim I believed in the book of Enoch? I am simply a man looking for answers here:

Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21

I didn't claim anything except that I didn't believe it was inspired. I would honestly like to see a case for it so that I could think about it. But perhaps I'll be forced to make a case against it.

Let me get this straight; you do not believe Enoch to be inspired, simply because the Jews did not believe it to be inspired?

Have you read the book of Enoch? If so, is there anything in the book you disagree with?

Upvote 0

bsd058

Sola and Tota Scripturist
Oct 9, 2012
Florida, USA
✟14,546.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
When did I claim I believed in the book of Enoch? I am simply a man looking for answers here:

Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21

Let me get this straight; you do not believe Enoch to be inspired, simply because the Jews did not believe it to be inspired?

Have you read the book of Enoch? If so, is there anything in the book you disagree with?
I didn't say you believed it. I said that you're just not being honest when you say that the Jews rejecting the book as canonical means nothing.

I do not believe it to be inspired because no one has ever presented a case to me that would lead me to believe it to be inspired. How can you believe something if there isn't a reason to believe it? I know Jude quotes it, but that's just a small portion of it, and from what I understand there are different portions of the book (books within the book).

I have read it, though I'll admit it was a little confusing. Well, one part I found confusing was when God told Noah that angels were building the ark for him and would complete it for him. But that would mean that Noah didn't build the ark which Genesis very clearly tells us that he was the one who built it.

I would have to look it up to cite the verse but if you know what I'm talking about then there is no need.

Unless an inspired work can be inaccurate, I don't think that it could be inspired. At least, there seems to be a contradiction.

Like I said, though. I just need to be pointed towards a positive case FOR the book first.

When someone tells you to believe something they say that is of high importance, do you test what they say by saying, "does this contradict what I already know?" or do you not also ask them to provide evidence for what they are telling you?

Because the fact is that though it may not already contradict what you know at present, in the future it might contradict something. So mere coherence is not a case for inspiration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I didn't say you believed it. I said that you're just not being honest when you say that the Jews rejecting the book as canonical means nothing.

I do not believe it to be inspired because no one has ever presented a case to me that would lead me to believe it to be inspired. How can you believe something if there isn't a reason to believe it? I know Jude quotes it, but that's just a small portion of it, and from what I understand there are different portions of the book (books within the book).

I have read it, though I'll admit it was a little confusing. Well, one part I found confusing was when God told Noah that angels were building the ark for him and would complete it for him. But that would mean that Noah didn't build the ark which Genesis very clearly tells us that he was the one who built it.

I would have to look it up to cite the verse but if you know what I'm talking about then there is no need.

Unless an inspired work can be inaccurate, I don't think that it could be inspired. At least, there seems to be a contradiction.

Like I said, though. I just need to be pointed towards a positive case FOR the book first.

When someone tells you to believe something they say that is of high importance, do you test what they say by saying, "does this contradict what I already know?" or do you not also ask them to provide evidence for what they are telling you?

Because the fact is that though it may not already contradict what you know at present, in the future it might contradict something. So mere coherence is not a case for inspiration.

Can you provide the passages that speak what you have just said in the bolded part?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2012
✟7,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I understand that the book of Enoch is referred to in other books of the Bible...although I don't remember the exact locations...some things I have heard or read about the book of Enoch include that it was placed in Noahs ark...that Enoch is it's author and was one of the few who were taken by God. I am just now reading and learning about it and for me so far...it has only confirmed and enhanced my understanding of the Bible. Others seem to think that it shouldn't even be read and that it's message isn't from God???
Apart from direct quotes (Jude), and other references to the Book of Enoch in the scriptures ... one thing that is interesting to consider, are the two witnesses mentioned in the Book of Revelation. Since Enoch did not experience death, rather, was taken by God ... one belief in the early church as well as today, was that Enoch was going to be one of the two witnesses. Specifically, Enoch and Elijah were/are popular candidates.

Since Revelations is riddled with references to angelic beings, and spiritual events (like War in Heaven, etc) ... some see the idea that Enoch returning to earth as a witness, will be because he will bear testimony and witness to what happened during his time, as perhaps similar things happen yet again in our own, or discernment of them is needed. In reading Enoch, you see clearly that he was used to witness directly to the Watchers, and used as an agent of their sentencing, so to speak. So if similar, or related events, transpire today, then Enoch has already been prepared to be such a witness to those beings and others in our present day, and it begins to sort of "come full circle" as to why Enoch might have been taken in the first place, and perhaps will be present again on the earth ...

Perhaps so, spitoutthekoolaid, ...perspective...is it coming from God or from somewhere else...major impact on what people will believe about it, and whether they will read it or not.
Yeah ... I think it kind of goes without saying that revelation is needed to understand the things of God, whether they be in accepted scripture or not.

However the Book of Enoch seems to be one of those "puzzle piece" type of accounts and text. Even if you accept that it might be completely pseudapigraphal, or didn't survive ante-dilluvian times and is rather a word-of-mouth account written down much later, etc ... I personally believe there is "something to it" which requires further insight and clarification. I would almost categorize it like an "origin story survival guide" in a lot of ways lol, a key to help identify spiritual entities and beings you may meet or deal with in your life ...

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps because it's content speaks of a spiritual war...it was decided that the more general population would just not understand it and even become frightened by it or that they may learn things they really shouldn't know...if we are to encounter a spiritual war the likes of which none of us could concieve...we may see armor in its content instead of darkness??? Maybe???

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Perhaps because it's content speaks of a spiritual war...it was decided that the more general population would just not understand it and even become frightened by it or that they may learn things they really shouldn't know...if we are to encounter a spiritual war the likes of which none of us could concieve...we may see armor in its content instead of darkness??? Maybe???

It was the Catholic Church at some point decided the people should not read the book of Enoch.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
I understand that the book of Enoch is referred to in other books of the Bible...although I don't remember the exact locations...some things I have heard or read about the book of Enoch include that it was placed in Noahs ark...that Enoch is it's author and was one of the few who were taken by God. I am just now reading and learning about it and for me so far...it has only confirmed and enhanced my understanding of the Bible. Others seem to think that it shouldn't even be read and that it's message isn't from God???

Hebrews 11:5
By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death; he could not be found, because God had taken him away. For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.

Jude 1:14
Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: “See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The research done regarding the history of the cannon and the rise of christianity is extensive and carries many perspectives. After reviewing some of it, I remember making an off the cuff comment to another Christian friend that it sure seems like Christianity ran amok as soon as Paul went to Rome...I often wonder about Paul...But that's another topic and I'm still learning...

yes...it was officially decided that it would not be part of the cannon...again, with differing accounts as to why...

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2012
✟7,876.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Maybe something along those lines ...

I might view it a bit more like this, along those similar lines, but taking into account an idea from the following scripture from 2 Thessalonians:

"Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness."

From the beginning of the accounts in the scriptures, you can see where man kind chooses time and again to go their own way, or the way of others in opposition to God. Or, they continually choose other mediators instead of God Himself. Instead of dealing with God directly, they chose Moses to do so. Instead of having God as King over them, they wanted men like the other nations. Instead of working through the desert to the Promised Land, they preferred slavery in Egypt. False gods, luxuries of the flesh, magic, sorcery, serving other spirits ... humans continually build societies that attempt to be "Godless".

In Enoch, we see even farther back, to where some of the origins of the very things that help to make society what it is, come from. Everything from weapons, to cosmetics, to weather, to writing. If you put it into a certain type of context, it's as though the beginnings of what we call "civilization" were mostly the result of Watcher influence. What they thought culture could be like, is what we "became". Fast forward to Babel, where the plans of mankind were thwarted ... and you begin to see a sort of perspective take shape:

With the influence of fallen Watchers, and spirits, and mankind combined ... a type of advancement happens in society, but one that leads to Godlessness, enslavement, and destruction.

Yet ... this is typically the very type of society mankind has strived for, to achieve.

So now consider the idea that if you remove the fallen Watchers from the equation for a time, that their influence would continue to grow and expand. Especially so if the disembodied spirits of their offspring were still on earth, and able to influence and occupy other living things (like people obviously). It could make sense that the spirits, and/or sympathizers, would try to disconnect mankind from some of their actual origins, and cast confusion and doubt upon ideas like "Watchers" and "angels influencing man", etc. ... all whilst furthering their agenda, and the growth of their own societies and influence on earth.

Opponents do this all the time: manipulate each other, use misinformation to confuse and hide agendas, etc. Governments use spies, dictators use lies. Often times, if you can control information and resources, people can be motivated to do things that otherwise would be detrimental to themselves. Look at the way people slave away for "money", or specific luxuries and such. Look at what people go to war over. And look at how easily people are deluded, and believe lies ... even to the degree they do not realize the evil atrocities that are taking place in their own backyard. Nazi Germany and the concentration camps are a great example, as are some of the atrocities the North Korean government has committed on it's own people. The United States is no exception with some of the experiments performed on the public, admitted to later by the government.

In other words .... delusion is a powerful tool, and one that people actually accept and end up condoning, if it suits them. Do you really care if your boss means what they say, so long as you get the nice paycheck ? Do you really care if you are lying to your child, so long as it makes them smile ? Do they care ? So it's already in our nature to often desire delusion in order to cope, and live on earth ... so it's not a stretch to consider the idea that over the centuries, the enemies of God have helped to push a *secret power* that is at work, to further the goals and agendas of those behind the power.

Now imagine what an advantage it would be to you, if you wanted to enslave a society ... what an advantage it would be if not only did they not believe in your existence, but even if they did, they wouldn't even care, because you have rewarded them so greatly for their loyalty, service, etc. ... to the degree that they have taken your own desires for them as their own and are in full agreement with you. So even if you remained in the shadows, pulling the strings ... it ultimately didn't matter. They would still willingly want the world to turn out the same as you did, to their own demise. What I might do then, to achieve that goal ... would be to try and erase all ideas that I was "evil", and pull the strings in secret. I would wait, and let them get to a point of complete agreement with me ... and then, when it was "safe to come out", I would make myself known. By then, they would no longer view me as mythical, or even an enemy ... they would view me as beneficial, because they had been *soaking in my goals for them all along, to their own ignorance*. Perhaps I might obscure the ideas of what I even look like, so that when I was revealed, they wouldn't even recognize me ... their ideas of what spiritual beings should look like having been completely skewed and misinformed through delusion.

Now fast forward all the way to the events in Revelations, and you begin to see the Beast, the Dragon, the angels, the whole world worshipping this and that, things that "once were, now are not, yet will come", things coming up from out of the Abyss, secret powers of lawlessness being revealed, those whose names aren't written in the Book of Life being astonished ... and people believing powerful delusions and lies and serving evil ... and you begin to look around you at the state of society today, and things start to fall into place.

Had the Book of Enoch been canon in the early centuries, perhaps, and it's ideas been viewed as a "manual for spiritual warfare", then perhaps as modern civilization and culture was attempting to bud, there would have been more people who viewed it's growth as spiritual, and perhaps seen the Enochian accounts as enlightening them to fight a spiritual war, and refuse to bow down, and refuse to partake in the growth of a system of lies, deceit, and evil. Perhaps those in power and authority would have been more easily threatened by those who fear God, etc., and things like the joining of church and state would have been avoided. The church would have become a bastion for those who stand up against "the system" and the power behind it, rather than marrying it and working with it to build empires. So in that regard, one can see why perhaps there might have been a desire to suppress these types of accounts, or mar them, or warp them ... would the general population not know what to do with such knowledge ? Or perhaps would they actually be SAVED with such knowledge and so, the less they know the better ?

But now, in today's society ... anyone with a computer can read these accounts. And if you believe some of them, and begin to put the pieces together ... is it really going to effect the average person's life ? The average person is already familiar with ghosts, spirits, angels, demons, aliens, the supernatural, etc. There are a million and one tales, accounts, explanations, theories, religions, etc, to tell him what to think and consider. The ignorant view it as ENTERTAINMENT. Furthermore, if the average person began to view their own country and society as a "tool for the Beast" and the power of demons and Watchers at work ... would he change ? Would he quit his lifestyle ? If he learned that all those deals, contracts, and pacts he made throughout his life ... and all the good that science had discovered and attained, were actually to achieve some other goal and end, would he actually stop participating now ? So from that perspective, what would it matter anymore if the Book of Enoch was canon or not ? Even if the general population viewed it as a guidebook for spiritual warfare, and that it was vital information that we all should really know .... would anyone really care and see it as armour in a way that would matter any longer ?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I do admit, I find it a bit hard to believe that. However, how do you know there were no beings of that stature before the great flood?

Do you have any biblical evidence to suggest that the book of Enoch is not inspired by God?

Because a 450 foot tall humanoid would be physically impossible, the creature would die under its own weight. The only reason some animals have ever achieved tremendous stature is because they have an adaptive biology that helps them sustain their size and weight. And none of these animals--sauropod dinosaurs--ever came close to approaching that height.

Physical anatomy simply renders the possibility of a 450 foot tall giant impossible. The taller and heavier the organism, the denser its bone structure would need to be; also the heavier/larger the organism the larger and stronger the heart muscle needs to be in order to pump blood throughout the whole body.

I'm hardly an expert on these things, but some of these rather basic facts about anatomy simply rules out the existence of 450 ft tall humanoids as creatures that simply cannot exist on this planet.

Not without direct divine intervention at least. I suppose we could conjecture that every one of these giants was able to be alive by the direct supernatural intervention of God in order to suspend the laws of physics. The question we would then need to ask ourselves is if it's worth entertaining that level of speculation concerning things which God has never specifically revealed to us; it would be no different than speculating that invisible pink unicorns flutter all around us all the time.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The research done regarding the history of the cannon and the rise of christianity is extensive and carries many perspectives. After reviewing some of it, I remember making an off the cuff comment to another Christian friend that it sure seems like Christianity ran amok as soon as Paul went to Rome...I often wonder about Paul...But that's another topic and I'm still learning...

yes...it was officially decided that it would not be part of the cannon...again, with differing accounts as to why...

The short of it is rather simple. Enoch, while widely read, was ultimately considered a little too fantastic for the majority of the Church. That, and the simple fact that it wasn't actually written by the biblical Enoch, but a work produced around or during the Maccabean period meant that it really wasn't going to make it in the long run.

There's nothing bad about Enoch, it presents important themes and ideas that were common to Second Temple period Judaism which helps us better understand the general religious climate in which Christianity and the New Testament arose; but as Sacred Scripture it does not belong--at least according to the overwhelming consensus of the Christian Church.

As for me, I'm not really so sure of myself that I should go about tweaking the Canon in spite of the historic witness and consensus of billions of Christians throughout history. I'm quite okay deferring to the judgement of the Historic Christian community in this area.

And even if I were (hypothetically) to ever supplement the Biblical Canon, there are plenty of texts I'd be looking at way before I took a gander at Enoch--the Didache or the Epistle of St. Clement for example.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Because a 450 foot tall humanoid would be physically impossible, the creature would die under its own weight. The only reason some animals have ever achieved tremendous stature is because they have an adaptive biology that helps them sustain their size and weight. And none of these animals--sauropod dinosaurs--ever came close to approaching that height.

Physical anatomy simply renders the possibility of a 450 foot tall giant impossible. The taller and heavier the organism, the denser its bone structure would need to be; also the heavier/larger the organism the larger and stronger the heart muscle needs to be in order to pump blood throughout the whole body.

I'm hardly an expert on these things, but some of these rather basic facts about anatomy simply rules out the existence of 450 ft tall humanoids as creatures that simply cannot exist on this planet.

Not without direct divine intervention at least. I suppose we could conjecture that every one of these giants was able to be alive by the direct supernatural intervention of God in order to suspend the laws of physics. The question we would then need to ask ourselves is if it's worth entertaining that level of speculation concerning things which God has never specifically revealed to us; it would be no different than speculating that invisible pink unicorns flutter all around us all the time.

-CryptoLutheran

Weren't the giants said to be some sort of supernatural beings- that is, a result of the union between angels and the children of men?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟735,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Weren't the giants said to be some sort of supernatural beings- that is, a result of the union between angels and the children of men?

That's one interpretation.

And even if we permit it, we'd still have to deal with a physical creature that defies the laws of physics.

For me, at the end of the day, it's all kind of moot anyway. I don't believe there were ever angel-human hybrids or giants, and I don't believe Scripture teaches this or that it is a reasonable position to adhere to.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's one interpretation.

And even if we permit it, we'd still have to deal with a physical creature that defies the laws of physics.

For me, at the end of the day, it's all kind of moot anyway. I don't believe there were ever angel-human hybrids or giants, and I don't believe Scripture teaches this or that it is a reasonable position to adhere to.

-CryptoLutheran

To be honest, I lean to the side that they were giants (nephilims) on earth thousands of years ago, which were directly as a result of the union between angels and daughters of men. Unlike you, I believe that there are certain passage in the Scriptures that speak of such creatures, albeit not in detail.

Upvote 0

Zanting

not so new
Mar 15, 2012
✟47,296.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Indeed...and so true...most would change nothing...most have become so complacent, self-focused, and caught up in the "norms" of their world...they don't want anything to shatter their illusion...but I care...especially if it will help others break free from the delusion...what is happening in our current world culture is certainly a truth I would rather run away from, too horrible for me to comprehend, stared me down and changed my entire view of the world, and my life...finding the truth through reading lots of history and sifting through all the disinformation regarding the origins of God and religion...well for me, anyway, Enoch brings, in a sense, spiritual armour that can help make sense in the chaos we see around us...and protect us from these beings because we know who they are and won't be fooled by them...and maybe...just maybe help others realize the deception too...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟16,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, since the Jews didn't even see it as inspired, I would think that the apostles and Christ himself didn't see it as inspired (even though there is a quote from one of the books of the New Testament) either. I do not believe that many would have accepted Enoch as inspired in the first few centuries of Christianity either, and I do not think there is any justification for it.

It is apocalyptic so it is useful in understanding that type of literature (of which The Revelation of Jesus Christ is a part of), but I don't believe that a good case could be made for it's authenticity nor for that the authority of God rests in it.

If you can post a case for it, by all means, go right ahead.

using the Jews as a reference for identifying somthing or someone from God is a really bad idea, historically they killed every prophet God sent them, and were unable to identify the Spirit of God in the flesh

.........just saying.........who cares what the Jews think of the book of Enoch........actually if they reject it, it may be a good sign it was of God

Upvote 0

true2theword

Nov 8, 2012
✟16,099.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

-CryptoLutheran

unicorn's were mentioned in the bible

1. Numbers 23:22 – God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.
  2. Numbers 24:8 – God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.
  3. Deuteronomy 33:17 – His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.
  4. Job 39:9 – Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
  5. Job 39:10 – Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
  6. Psalm 22:21 – Save me from the lion’s mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
  7. Psalm 29:6 – He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
  8. Psalm 92:10 – But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.
  9. Isaiah 34:7 – And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith
Indeed...and so true...most would change nothing...most have become so complacent, self-focused, and caught up in the "norms" of their world...they don't want anything to shatter their illusion...but I care...especially if it will help others break free from the delusion...what is happening in our current world culture is certainly a truth I would rather run away from, too horrible for me to comprehend, stared me down and changed my entire view of the world, and my life...finding the truth through reading lots of history and sifting through all the disinformation regarding the origins of God and religion...well for me, anyway, Enoch brings, in a sense, spiritual armour that can help make sense in the chaos we see around us...and protect us from these beings because we know who they are and won't be fooled by them...and maybe...just maybe help others realize the deception too...

Nephilim in the Hebrew Bible

(Translations according to New International Version. Note that translations frequently differ. In the King James Version of the Bible, "Nephilim" is translated as "giants" in the following examples.)

The term "Nephilim" occurs just twice in the Hebrew Bible, both in the Torah. The first is Genesis 6:1-4, immediately before the Noah's ark story:
1. When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2. the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3. Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." 4. The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown. [The fallen ones where giant human beings.]
The second is Numbers 13:32-33, where the Hebrew spies report that they have seen fearsome giants in Canaan:
32. And they spread among the Israelites a bad report about the land they had explored. They said, "The land we explored devours those living in it. All the people we saw there are of great size. 33. We saw the Nephilim there (the descendants of Anak come from the Nephilim). We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them."

Etymology
This subject also relates to the etymology and meaning of the phrase sons of God.
"Nephilim" (נְפִילִים) probably derives from the Hebrew root npl (נָפַל), "to fall" which also includes "to cause to fall" and "to kill, to ruin". The Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon gives the meaning as "giants" Robert Baker Girdlestone argued the word comes from the Hiphil causative stem. Adam Clarke took it as passive, "fallen", "apostates". Ronald Hendel also states that it is a passive form "ones who have fallen."

Arguments based on etymology

A possible connection with fallen-ness may exist in the fallen warriors of Ezekiel 32:27, where a change to the Massoretic Text reading gibborim nophelim (גִּבֹּורִים נֹפְלִים "fallen mighty ones") would produce the reading gibborim nephilim. As the text stands "And they shall not lie with the fallen mighty of the uncircumcised, which are gone down (yaradu יָרְדֽוּ) to the grave with their weapons of war:", but this could become the gibborim nephilim of the uncircumcised. In Genesis 6:4 they are described as "ancient warriors, the men of renown". In Numbers 13:32-33 they are a race of giants native to Canaan. (The idea that there were giants in Canaan when the Israelites arrived is found elsewhere, for example in Amos 2:9, where Yahwah reminds the prophet that he "destroyed the Amorites before you, whose height was as the height of cedar trees"). The two are tied together by Genesis 6:4, "the nephilim were on the earth in those days (before the Flood), and also after," and most later compositions and translations, including the Septuagint, therefore understand the nephilim to be giants.

This is the word spelled הַנֹּפְלִים in that verse. The English to Hebrew translator says this is the word for giants ענקים
The Nephilim were the heroes of old, men of renown. The people of the world were in a state of moral decay, and had fallen spiritually.

Genesis 6
5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.
I believe that the Nephilim were Giants, but that the words nephilim is "fallen ones." The world before the flood had less gravity, and therefore would support large beings.

"Nephilim" (נְפִילִים) probably derives from the Semitic root npl (נָפַל), "to fall" which also includes "to cause to fall" and "to kill, to ruin".
The Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon gives the meaning as "giants." Robert Baker Girdlestone argued the word comes from the Hiphil causative stem. Adam Clarke took it as passive, "fallen", "apostates". Ronald Hendel states that it is a passive form "ones who have fallen."
The word nephilim is not a name title, and it should have been translated as the "fallen ones." It is referring to those who have fallen spiritually and are in moral decline.

Luke 3:38. ...the son of Enosh, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God.

Genesis 6:2
the sons of God saw that the daughters of [humans / men] were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose.

Genesis 6:4
The Nephilim [fallen ones] were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of [humans / men] and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown

Psalm 82:6
“I said, ‘You are “gods”; you are all sons of the Most High.’

John 10:34
Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’ ? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside — 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

Upvote 0