The biggest Pinocchios of 2023 (though the year ain't over yet)

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
WaPo roundup (gift article)

Biden’s tall tales
President Biden, like many politicians, likes to tell stories — stories in which he tries to connect his own life with his audiences’, and that make up an essential part of his persona. But throughout his career, Biden’s propensity to exaggerate or embellish tales about his life have led to doubts about his truthfulness. [several examples]

As a matter of fact, my first two years in office I’ve lowered the deficit by a record $1.7 trillion.” --Joe Biden
Biden gets his $1.7 trillion figure by comparing the deficit in fiscal 2020 ($3.132 trillion) with the deficit in fiscal 2022 ($1.375 trillion). The deficit was always expected to fall with the end of the pandemic.

Biden is giving each illegal family $2,200 per month plus a free plane ticket and free medical care.
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.), Sept. 8

Jim Comer's Obama Time Machine
In August, Comer ... claimed that Joe Biden was sending a secret message to his son indicating that he was about to push for the firing of a Ukrainian prosecutor .... The email is dated May 26, 2016. The prosecutor in question had been dismissed by the Ukrainian parliament two months earlier.

Hunter Biden paying $50K in rent to Joe.

I stand with our veterans and I’m going to donate every dime I make when I’m in Washington, D.C., to the veterans of the state of Alabama.
— Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), while running for Senate
Yet, no contributions could be found after he had served 2½ years as a senator, even though he had earned $437,000 in salary at the point.

Iran “hit one of our drones and I hit them. …. They called us to tell us that we’re going to hit back. Here’s the target, but we’re not going to hit the target.
— Trump, Nov. 10
Donald Trump could easily fill this list all by himself, as he did often during his presidency. But this claim stood out from among many. In Trump’s telling, he struck back against Iran and then Iran was so chastened that officials called him and said Iran would deliberately miss a military base with its next strike. In reality, Trump canceled the original retaliatory strike, to the shock of his aides. And Iran did not warn Trump or miss the base. Most of the missiles hit the base. No one was killed, but that was more a result of a well-planned evacuation than Iranian targeting.