catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does your definition of the Spirit relate to the fact that the Holy Spirit is a Person and not just some force or "wind". Genesis does not say that God breathed the Holy Spirit into Adam. We need to be careful to cause the Bible to say something that it does not say.

The Bible does not say that God got a couple of neanderthals together and breathed the Holy Spirit into them. Actually there is no substantive evidence of the existence of a race of such beings before Adam.
It's late, and I bet we are both tired. I've already forgiven you!

Have a good night!

Our God, the wondrous and divine, Father, Son and Spirit.

Acts 2:2 Suddenly a sound like a mighty rushing wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, according to God, all life came from non-living matter.
I don't know what Bible you have but here is what my Bible, the AV says:
"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul" (Genesis 2:7).
Man did not become a living soul until the Living God breathed life into him. Pretty clear to me!

"And God said, Let the waters bring forth reptiles having life, and winged creatures flying above the earth in the firmament of heaven"
Gen 1:20

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature"
Gen 1:24

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We totally agree the Holy Spirit, praise to God, is part of the divine trinity. I hope you knew that already about me! If you read what I said, and I hope the word is clear, breath/wind represents the Spirit -- "is another way to represent" (such as a dove is a way) -- which is not the same as saying the Spirit is just wind!!. Perhaps it is time to pray! We need His grace, we really do.

John 20:22 When He had said this, He breathed on them and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Praise the Lord for His amazing Grace and Mercy and Love!
Ahh! I see what you are getting at. God breathed the breath of life into the first Adam and he became a living soul. This was natural life. Of course, Adam messed it all up and lost his relationship with God and his spirit died. Therefore his natural life, with his spirit dead, started to wind down like a clock and eventually he died.

When the second Adam, the resurrected Jesus, breathed into each of His disciples in turn (He didn't just stand in front of them and breathed. He went right up to each one and breathed the breath of spiritual into them). At that point the disciples were born again of the Spirit of God. Their spirits within them came alive and so their relationship with God was restored.

But that was not the baptism with the Spirit. It was when Jesus ascended into glory to take His seat at the right hand of the Father, He sent the Holy Spirit to the assembled disciples, empowering them to take the gospel to the world.

So, there are two works of the Holy Spirit in believers. They are born again through the resurrected Jesus, and baptised with the Spirit through the glorified Jesus. But after the Day of Pentecost, being born again and baptised with the Spirit can happen simultaneously, because Jesus is now the ascended and glorified Jesus. The disciples had to wait in Jerusalem before they were empowered by the Holy Spirit because of the time lapse between the resurrected Jesus ascending, presenting His blood on the heavenly holy of Holies for the propitiation of our sins, and then taking His seat at the right hand of God. Then once He was seated, He then sent the Holy Spirit to the church to be His representative to dwell within them as the Helper to replace Him.

Just a piece of useful information. :)

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"And God said, Let the waters bring forth reptiles having life, and winged creatures flying above the earth in the firmament of heaven"
Gen 1:20

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature"
Gen 1:24
Absolutely. It was the Living God who created life through the living words of His mouth!

It wasn't some electrical flash of lightning on the primordial soup as some believe!

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely. It was the Living God who created life through the living words of His mouth!

It wasn't some electrical flash of lightning on the primordial soup as some believe!
God did not create life just by His word from nothing. He commanded waters and earth to do it. If we want to take Genesis exactly.

Why then, it cannot be electrical flash of lightning in the primordial water soup? It still is in the boundaries of Genesis 1 description. Why do you want to limit the waters in how to produce life?

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God did not create life just by His word from nothing. He commanded waters and earth to do it. If we want to take Genesis exactly.

Why then, it cannot be electrical flash of lightning in the primordial water soup? It still is in the boundaries of Genesis 1.
I don't accept the lightning in the primordial soup idea because it ain't in the Bible.

Genesis starts with "In the beginning, God..." So, there was a beginning where there was just God and absolutely nothing else. John's gospel starts the same way: "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God..."

We know when the beginning was, because it was the point in eternity when God decided to create the universe. The first thing He said was, "Let there be light". So the first thing that was created out of nothing was light. The whole universe and everything in it was in the creative mind of God, and it leaped into being as soon as God said it.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't accept the lightning in the primordial soup idea because it ain't in the Bible.
Nobody says you must immediatelly accept it, its just a hypothesis. But you do not need to "fight" against it, it does not contradict Genesis.

Genesis obviously does not go into details, because it has just 2 chapters about creation of everything. No need to be afraid of scientific details.

Genesis starts with "In the beginning, God..." So, there was a beginning where there was just God and absolutely nothing else.
This is in a perfect agreement with the Big Bang.

John's gospel starts the same way: "In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God..."
The word is the Son of God, of course that God was before the Big Bang.

We know when the beginning was, because it was the point in eternity when God decided to create the universe. The first thing He said was, "Let there be light". So the first thing that was created out of nothing was light.
No, you do not read the text of Genesis properly.
Genesis starts with waters already present. Then God created light. And the text does not say "out of nothing", you are adding to the text. Text does not specify if it was from nothing or from something.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Nobody says you must immediatelly accept it, its just a hypothesis. But you do not need to "fight" against it, it does not contradict Genesis.

Genesis obviously does not go into details, because it has just 2 chapters about creation of everything. No need to be afraid of scientific details.

This is in a perfect agreement with the Big Bang.

The word is the Son of God, of course that God was before the Big Bang.

No, you do not read the text of Genesis properly.
Genesis starts with waters already present. Then God created light. And the text does not say "out of nothing", you are adding to the text. Text does not specify if it was from nothing or from something.
If all this was really important, then the Bible would be specific about it. Because the Bible is obscure, then it is all in the area of theory.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,381.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If all this was really important, then the Bible would be specific about it. Because the Bible is obscure, then it is all in the area of theory.
Is it important, that your body has cells, brain?

Yes, scientifically.

No, spiritually.

And spirituality is the goal of the Bible. Let us use it in this way.

But if your only argument is "it does not contradict Genesis, it just was not so important for Moses to write it down", then there is no conflict with science whatsoever. Nobody is saying that you must think about it all the day and that it must be super important for you. Live your daily life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.