The Bible disproves YEC flood geology

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
I started writing this, oh, months ago, and never really finished it. But I figured I'd post what I had written for the sake of discussion. Also, I hardly take credit for these ideas, as I've seen them before.

That said, I would like to put forth that,

The Bible disproves YEC flood geology

Many YEC advocates propose that the flood of Noah (which supposedly took place about 4500 years ago, give or take a few centuries) churned up the Earth, laid down tons of sediment, carved canyons, raised mountains, split the continents, etc.

John Baumgardner says so as much (1):

Any serious model for the Genesis Flood must account for the massive tectonic changes evident in the geological record since the point in that record where metazoan fossils first appear. These tectonic changes include the complete replacement of the world’s ocean lithosphere, lateral displacements of continents by thousands of kilometres, significant vertical motions of the continental surfaces to allow deposition of thick and laterally extensive sediment sequences, and large local increases in crustal thickness to generate today’s high mountain ranges.

Likewise Henry Morris describes the geological strata as being laid down quickly, in a catastrophic event (2):

Each distinctive stratum was laid down quickly, since it obviously represents a uniform set of water flow conditions, and such uniformity never persists very long. Each set of strata in a given formation must also have been deposited in rapid succession, or there would be evidence of unconformity—that is, periods of uplift and erosion—at the various interfaces.

Answers in Genesis even includes such ideas in their statement of faith (3):

The Noachian Flood was a significant geological event and much (but not all) fossiliferous sediment originated at that time.

In fact, the flood is cornerstone of YEC and a catch-all explanation for various geological features of the Earth, including the fossil record. It is obvious why most disproofs of such an event typically focus on the geology of the Earth and relative impossibility of such an event occuring in its recent history.

But the real area of disproof comes from the one set of documents that YECs supposedly adhere to as strictly as possible: the Bible itself. In a nutshell, the idea of catastrophic flood geology, with the flood laying down sediments, ripping apart continents, raising mountains, carving valleys, etc, is completely un-Biblical. And I am going to show why.

Part 1: The Flood

First of all, there's the flood itself as described in Genesis.

Genesis 7:
10 And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.
11 In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.
12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.

No where does it describe the monumental geological changes the creationists are advocating. At best, you have the passage "the fountains of the great deep broken up". But there's nothing about reshaping the entire geological face of the planet. From the account in Genesis, the flood seems rather benign.

Part 2: Pre-Flood Geography

The actual description of the flood event itself would probably not be enough to dissuade YECs from their ideas. After all, YECs routinely make up extra-Biblical ideas for their theories, no matter how tenuously supported by the Bible. But in the case of catastrophic flood geology, they blatantly contradict several passages that describe the pre-Flood geography of the Middle East:

Genesis 2:
10 And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.
11 The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;
12 And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
13 And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.
14 And the name of the third river is Hiddekel: that is it which goeth toward the east of Assyria. And the fourth river is Euphrates.

The above passages are taken from the King James Version of the Bible. But there are some translation differences in different versions. In the New International Version, for example, Ethiopia becomes Cush, Hiddekel becomes Tigris, and Assyria becomes Asshur. After cross-referencing a few sources, I noted that Hiddekel is the Hebrew version for the Tigris, and Asshur is Hebrew for Assyria.

Let's examine this further by looking at these landmarks individually.

The first landmark is the Pison river that "compasseth the whole land of Havilah". The problem is, there is no current river named Pison nor a land named Havilah. So where could this river have been? There is a clue a little later in Genesis 25:18, And they dwelt from Havilah unto Shur, that is before Egypt, as thou goest toward Assyria: and he died in the presence of all his brethren.. This places Havilah in between Assyria and Egypt, which would put it somewhere in Northern Arabia (see map * note: my original map reference for this is now 404, so I'm using a new one).

But what about Pison? There is no river currently in the area, but there may have been at one time. In fact, the Wadi al Batin is a probable location for a once active river.

Next is Gihon that "compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia". As mentioned, the original Hebrew was Cush and there is evidence of more than one Cush in the Bible. It is possible, then, that it does not necessarily refer to modern day Ethiopia. Placing the land of Cush thus becomes is difficult. (more here)

Third is Hiddekel (Tigris). This is a relatively easy landmark to identify, since it is described as going "toward the east of Assyria". One need but look at a map of the historical Assyrian empire to verify this (see map).

The last river is the Euphrates, yet there can be little doubt in the absence of any geological markers that this refers to the modern day Euphrates, especially with respect to the other rivers named.

The significance of this is that it describes a pre-flood world with landmarks that still exist in the current world. How could a flood, apparently responsible for changing the global geology of the world, leave such landmarks relatively untouched?

Part 3: Criticisms and Conclusions

There's an article on Answers in Genesis in which they attempt to address the location of Eden claiming it could have been anywhere. In the article, they claim that the post-flood Tigris and Euphrates rivers were merely named after the pre-Flood rivers, and aren't the same rivers at all. But in doing so, they completely ignore the other geographical clues that suggest such rivers are the same now as they were then (references to Havilah and Assyria, for example).

There's also the fact that no where in the Bible does it suggest there is a difference between the locations in Genesis 2 and when the rivers appear later in the Bible. Considering that the rivers in Genesis 2 only exist to describe the location of Eden itself, it seems pretty strange not to note that the post-Flood rivers are in completely different locations.

In the end, the Bible is clear. Not only does the flood is not described as doing the things YECs claim it did, but Genesis 2:10-14 describes pre-Flood geology, that for all intents and purposes, still exists today. For a flood that supposedly razed the world and changed the landscape, it seems very odd that it left the middle East region so relatively untouched.

References:

1) Catastrophic plate tectonics: the geophysical context of the Genesis Flood (John R. Baumgardner)

2) Geology and the Flood (IMPACT No. 6 July/August 1973 by Henry M. Morris)

3) About AiG: Statement of Faith (Answers in Genesis)

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Good post.

It is rather odd that most of the creationist flood theories seem to be pretty removed from the actual story, even though they speak out against evolution because it's not in the bible. :)

I don't have the verses right now, but I have noticed that "the earth is flat and the mountains grew after the flood." is based on a couple miss-translations and bad reading by the creationist groups. In the bible, the same word is used for hills as mountains, and the translators chose which to use. Then the rising is based on the KJV reading of a psalms verse that says the mountains rose and the valleys sank. But to put the verse in context shows that it is a miss-translation of poet words and really the waters ran by the mountains and down valleys, causing the mountains to "rise" out of the waters.
The plate tectonics after the flood is from another out of context bible verse, that says the countries were divided in Pelage's time (or something to that effect), but reading the chapter will show that it was about the division of people, probably because of politics, and not the actual land.

(ok, that was a bit scattered)

Upvote 0

Valkhorn

the Antifloccinaucinihilipili ficationist
Jun 15, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟11,624.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well-said, but I fear ultimately pointless. We all know that little to nothing will dissuade a YEC from their interpretation of the Bible... least of all the Bible itself.
I don't know. I've never tried fighting fire with biblical fire. YEC's ultimately fall back on Bibilical verses to make their claims, so why not counter their arguments with the same medicine?

I've never seen this sort of argument before, so I'm eager to see how it pans out.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Pete Harcoff said:
(SNIP)
In the end, the Bible is clear. Not only does the flood is not described as doing the things YECs claim it did, but Genesis 2:10-14 describes pre-Flood geology, that for all intents and purposes, still exists today. For a flood that supposedly razed the world and changed the landscape, it seems very odd that it left the middle East region so relatively untouched.
(SNIP)
Nice post Pete. One other related point I would like to make is that the Bible makes NO mention of any Ice Age, Glaciers, huge blocks of ice, or any temperature change after the Deluge. Yet, most creationist groups make the claim that there was a single ice age after the flood, despite the lack of ANY scripture to back such an assertion up (and despite the evidence that there were more than one ice age in the past). The reason of course, is that they cannot deny the evidence for glacial movement into North America and Europe in the geological record, but can only shoehorn a single such event into their ridiculous 6,000 year time frame.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2004
ohio
✟848.00
Faith
Christian
For one if the rivers were mentioned before the flod were do you think they went. Second you assume the earth was the same as before the flood. Is it not possible that there were no islands or continants before the flood. This breaking of the great fountians would or could have possibly made the continants that are here today. The main are of the middle east could have been left the same if it was the center of the land and changed only a little bit. is there a magere fault line through that are. If not this would explain the reason, there may be i dont know. In the areas of the continintal divide you see the most changes over time, which is not suprising. River can cause erosion which can cause them to move alot over a fairly short time.

Upvote 0

kingreaper

Sep 12, 2004
✟1,055.00
Faith
Atheist
william jay schroeder said:
For one if the rivers were mentioned before the flod were do you think they went. Second you assume the earth was the same as before the flood. Is it not possible that there were no islands or continants before the flood. This breaking of the great fountians would or could have possibly made the continants that are here today. The main are of the middle east could have been left the same if it was the center of the land and changed only a little bit. is there a magere fault line through that are. If not this would explain the reason, there may be i dont know. In the areas of the continintal divide you see the most changes over time, which is not suprising. River can cause erosion which can cause them to move alot over a fairly short time.
Is the brunt of this "maybe the rest of the wolrd changed lots, but the middle east very little"

If so, I think I'll leave this to someone who knows more about it than I

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
The middle east is a very large source of oil.
Flood geologists claim that oil was created all during the flood by large amounts of pressure during the flood.
Thus, the middle east must have been changed by the flood according to flood geologists.

Of course, sticking with the thread, None of that (both how oil was created by the flood and that tectonic movement happened during the flood, etc.) is supported by a plain reading of the bible.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
william jay schroeder said:

The assumption that the Earth was the same was given in the OP. Biblically, there is no reason to assume these level of geological changes, especially with regard to geographical landmarks in Genesis 2.

Likewise, the idea that the Middle East would be untouched by tectonic activity in the flood doesn't work, given that there is a major fault line along the Iraq/Iran border (and mountain range), which is also right next to the Tigris and Euraphrates river.

Here is a map of the tectonic plates in the middle east for further reference.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Arikay said:
The middle east is a very large source of oil.
Flood geologists claim that oil was created all during the flood by large amounts of pressure during the flood.
Thus, the middle east must have been changed by the flood according to flood geologists.

Another good point. If YECs want to account for their geology, they have to take everything into account. You can have obvious contradictions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Another possibility is that stories are co-opted by different cultures through time. For example, the Epic of Gilgamesh (which predates the Genesis account of the flood) is almost identical in details. Much like the telephone game, name and places could be changed over time as stories are passed between cultures.

Upvote 0

michabo

reason, evidence
Nov 11, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
✟14,055.00
Faith
Atheist
ischus said:
Why are there so many flood accounts in Ancient Near Eastern literature if there was not at least a local flood at some point in time?
There were likely many floods. I've lived near a couple of rivers, and they have all flooded at one point or another. If the flood wiped out your crops and put your life at risk, you'd pay attention. When your whole life is dependant on the river, you pay close attention to it, so it isn't surprising that floods are an important element in some cultures.

Out here on the West Coast of North America, we have steep mountains and lack the flood plains of the middle east. Myths don't incorporate floods, to no great surprise, but there are stories of fish, spawning, ravens, bears, and other local elements.

So. What was your point?

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
By and large, yes. There is no reason why we should see traces of a large world wide flood in the rocky mountains if there was a local flood in the middle-east region. Since we don't, there probably was never a global flood. Whether there is evidence supporting a large local flood in the middle-east I'm not sure.

Upvote 0