The Bereans searched the scriptures daily to see if this were true...

Humble Berean

Dec 15, 2018
✟7,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been a student of the bible for over 50 years. I still don't feel I have fully discovered all that God has revealed to us through His Holy Spirit concerning all the wonder of His creation and desire for us to be obedient to His will. Some organizations list over 40,000 different denominations of Christian believers in Christ. I believe that is an accounting of all the schisms in the different major denominations but more and more non-denominational congregations continue to spring up.
When involved in a discussion with someone, I frequently hear: "In my opinion" or "that's your opinion". This brings to mind the "great deception" of "the deceiver", to make us think it is all about "me". This leads us to think that the bible and it's individual letters or books were written to me and for me. I try to read each scripture with the the approach of: Who is writing? To whom is this written? When was this written? Under what conditions or environment was this written? What is it's purpose, for me or for the person(s) to whom it is written, application? Is it applicable to me today? Is it relevant to me? Is it written in a direct mode or is it symbolic of deeper meaning using language as a art to create a scene or action in our minds.
This involves reading all 66 books and getting to know them. Do prior writings using words, phrases, concepts and commands give meaning to later writings. Think of the prophets, they knew that what they were writing was to have a fulfillment in their time but had a deeper, symbolic meaning. Jesus taught this when He tells us that He is the fulfillment of the Law.
I pray that God opens hour hearts and our minds to the truth contained within His holy word.

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟489,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When involved in a discussion with someone, I frequently hear: "In my opinion" or "that's your opinion". This brings to mind the "great deception" of "the deceiver", to make us think it is all about "me".

Welcome to CF. I'm glad you're here.

It's true, there is deception that has some thinking "it's all about me", but the phrase "In my opinion" can also mean I want to respect your point of view while I'm expressing mine. I mention this only because you will find many points of view here - still most of us understand your larger point that there is only on source of truth - the Bible. Amen!

• Friendly
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been a student of the bible for over 50 years. I still don't feel I have fully discovered all that God has revealed to us through His Holy Spirit concerning all the wonder of His creation and desire for us to be obedient to His will. Some organizations list over 40,000 different denominations of Christian believers in Christ. I believe that is an accounting of all the schisms in the different major denominations but more and more non-denominational congregations continue to spring up.
When involved in a discussion with someone, I frequently hear: "In my opinion" or "that's your opinion". This brings to mind the "great deception" of "the deceiver", to make us think it is all about "me". This leads us to think that the bible and it's individual letters or books were written to me and for me. I try to read each scripture with the the approach of: Who is writing? To whom is this written? When was this written? Under what conditions or environment was this written? What is it's purpose, for me or for the person(s) to whom it is written, application? Is it applicable to me today? Is it relevant to me? Is it written in a direct mode or is it symbolic of deeper meaning using language as a art to create a scene or action in our minds.
This involves reading all 66 books and getting to know them. Do prior writings using words, phrases, concepts and commands give meaning to later writings. Think of the prophets, they knew that what they were writing was to have a fulfillment in their time but had a deeper, symbolic meaning. Jesus taught this when He tells us that He is the fulfillment of the Law.
I pray that God opens hour hearts and our minds to the truth contained within His holy word.

Welcome!

Have you heard this quote?

“It shall greatly help ye to understand the Scriptures if thou mark not
only what is spoken or written, but of whom and to whom, with what
words, at what time, where, to what intent, with what circumstances,
considering what goeth before and what followeth after. ”
― Miles Coverdale (1488-1569)

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0