Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
After coming to the sad realization that not everyone accepts the Bible, I was told to come here, as this is supposed to be the forum where we do. Anyhow, could everyone start listing what they believe is essential doctrine? The basics? What anyone who is truely a Christian should believe? I don't want debate, just as many ideas as I can get!

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally believe the bible is the foundation of Christianity. I would have a hard time believing in a God who wouldn't put His truth into writing, or who couldn't preserve His words once written. I know not all Christians believe the bible is literally God's word, or that any bible is 100% accurate, etc, but then what do you base your belief on? "The leading of the Holy Spirit" sounds nice, but how can you tell it's not Satan leading you if you don't have a cornerstone of truth?
I don't think that believing the bible is the means of salvation though. Accepting Christ's attonement for your sins in the only essential.

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0

knightlight72

Soldier of Christ
Dec 11, 2003
Canada
✟1,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi Bizzlebin. I like that question. It makes us think what it means to be Christian. I personally believe the bible is 100% truth. That the bible is God's word. But we don't need the bible to be saved. That seems an odd comment, I know, but the reasoning is this. We accept Jesus as our Savior, and the gift of eternal life comes from accepting Him as our savior, and that we need Him. The bible does lead us towards Him, and does certainly teach us to know Jesus. But Many a person can and do get salvation without reading the bible. I'm not saying we don't need the bible. Just that we must focus on that relationship. We, as people, always have that need to be filled with the Holy Spirit. We will always be empty until we are filled. Without Jesus, we cannot fill that space inside our heart with anything else. So the true need to be a christian is to accept and follow Jesus. But I will say, if you want to find that way to a relationship with Jesus, is to pick up your bible, and read it. Read it even if you feel you don't. Read it if you are not in the mood. And Read it if even you are behind in life. Take that time to read the bible. It is God's word. It will strengthen you. It will encourage you. It will affect you. The word will protect you.

Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
i think one thing is in BELIEVING the bible. not any particular translation itself, but the bible as a whole based on the original or as close to original manuscripts that we have. be willing to do a lot of word-studies, historical investigation into what the early church believed, etc, and avoid reading liberal interpretations lest they sway you away from biblical teachings. dont get caught up in arguments that say that one version is the ONLY valid one and the rest are new-agey and evil - that's not true. BE AWARE of things like evolutionary influences on translations, but DONT throw out the baby with the bathwater. the message leading to salvation can be found in pretty much any christian bible (note i am NOT including unorthodox translations such as the NWT (JW) and stuff).

BELIEVE the bible even when what it says flies in the face of contemporary science and ethics. so much of the bible was abandonded as not being "factual" and then later was found to be true.... for example, the instruction for male babies to be circumcised only on the 8th(?) day was abandoned as superstition by many, but then it was found out that on the 8th day blood flow and nerve stimulation is at it's LOWEST in that part of the body, and thus minimizes bleeding and pain. (isnt God amazing? :clap: )

TRUST the Holy Spirit to help you understand. His revelation to you will NEVER contradict the scriptures, if it is from Him. but TRUST Him to give you understanding. "if any man lacks wisdom let him ask ..." of God and He will give it liberally (ie. FREELY).

remember, to abandon the Word of God, is to abandon the Word Himself - Jesus.

Upvote 0

EdmundBlackadderTheThird

Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The ONLY doctrine essential to Salvations:

Romans 10: 9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

There are other cerses that say the same thing, but this one is great, I teach from this one a lot because it explains the mechanics to some degree. There are other important doctrines, but the basics required for Salvation are all right there in that passage.

Upvote 0