Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter (or James for that matter) did not have any “written scripture” at that point. BUt they made a decision for the church as a whole. And per Matt 16.19, they had authority to do so and that Heaven would back up that decision.

So it stands.

i disagree. From personal experience and from Biblical evidence and the same patterns over and over i have come to the conclusion i need to take a long break from these sorts of discussions. I have stuff to do. Have fun!

Reactions: Sarah K
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does that mean you're going to have your sons circumcised and keep the Jewish law?
Only if they are ethnically Jewish.

See the flip side decision in Acts 21. Jewish believers still keep to the Law.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
why would that be? Christians aren't required to circumsize their children?

Christians aren't required to circumstance their sons because the Council of Jerusalem decided it wasn't necessary.

• Agree
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The council at Jerusalem's most critical achievement was to affirm that Gentiles did not first have to become Jews in order to receive salvation in Jesus Christ. This was the effect of not requiring circumcision for conversion. The question is the purpose of the ensuing "James clause":

therefore I judge not to trouble those from the Gentiles turning to God,
but to write to them to abstain from the pollutions of idols, from sexual immorality, from things strangled, and from blood.
For Moses has those proclaiming him in every city, from generations of old, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath." -Acts 15:19-21
The church had a real problem on its hands. The Jews were thoroughly indoctrinated into the laws of Moses, while the Gentiles were not and likely were not willing to be. How then were the growing churches to have any sort of peace and unity within? James acknowledges the problem here by citing that the law of Moses is proclaimed in virtually every city, and makes the suggestion to require a couple of the most obvious dietary laws, and for good measure the necessity of sexual morality - a fairly new concept to many of the Gentile converts - in order that the two camps can coexist together and begin to become one flock just as the Lord had envisioned.

Therefore I don't see the James clause as setting down new requirements for salvation, i see it as practical advice for the churches of that time, which were struggling with a very critical problem. But it was a problem that was primarily practical rather than theological. I don't see a conflict between Paul and James. And indeed, according to the text, there is not a hint of objection from Paul or anyone else to James' suggestion, and they even claim the Holy Spirit's approval. The whole thing is described in smooth, glowing terms.

As for the "men from James" that came to Antioch, it's possible that the church at Antioch, having become probably the most important thought center of Christianity, had already gotten beyond dietary differences, and the men from James, having been sheltered in Jerusalem from this changing reality, found that hard to take. Peter found it easier to accommodate their preferences rather than challenge him, but at this point Paul felt that this was an unacceptable step backward. It doesn't necessarily mean James was countenancing the men's behavior.

Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Acts 15 Decree

Some men came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the brothers: "Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved." Turns out those men were from the church at Jerusalem. So Paul, Barnabus and Titus went down to that church to debate the matter. Paul presented his gospel to the leadership at the church of Jerusalem, some of whom held to the beliefs of the Circumcision. Peter completely agreed with Paul that salvation was solely by grace apart from complying to the laws of Moses. But James picked up on something Peter said. Namely speaking to the Circumcision on the leadership team there Peter said, "Why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?" Acts 15:10 Peter was referring to their making salvation out to be conditioned upon one's compliance to the Law of Moses. Paul writes extensively on that point in Galatians such as "All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Clearly no one is justified before God by the law." Gal 3:10,11

What James does is try to find a compromise. He literally compromised the gospel. He took Peter's comment of the Law being too hard to keep, and what he did was that instead of rejecting the Law altogether as a means to salvation as Peter and Paul did, he simply cherry picked a few commands from the law and made the Gentile's salvation conditioned upon their compliance to those regulations. James says, "It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood." Acts 15:19-20

Consider how arrogant that statement is. Who does James think he is that he could tinker with the gospel in this fashion. Indeed one wonders whether a number of Paul's statements in Galatians were directed at James. Such as "even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!" Gal 1:8 And Paul's emphasis concerning the origin of his gospel, "I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ." Gal 1:11,12 That in contrast to James' fabricated gospel. For soon thereafter in Galatians Paul references the events of Acts 15. Nor does Paul speak of this decree in any of his epistles, not even in Galatians, but rather in fact often writes contrary to them. James imposes dietary restrictions on the Gentiles as a condition for salvation. Paul writes contrary to James' decree, for example, "Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it." 1Cor 10:25,26 And the context indicates that even included meats sacrificed to idols if it didn't bother one's conscience or that of another.

Catholic Councils and Canon Law

Catholicism took hold on James' example in Acts 15 as endorsing the idea that you could convene councils which could tinker with the gospel and make salvation contingent upon man made Catholic Canon Law. James is the father of Catholicism, and thus he's their goto guy when it comes to supporting their soteriology and they are the ones who inserted his epistle into the Bible which may end up being a subject of another thread.

Negligence and Hypocrisy in the church at Jerusalem

How was it that the leadership team at the church of Jerusalem included those of this heretical sect of the Circumcision? And that in light of the fact that Peter sided with Paul with regards to the gospel. Peter was not as respected in the church there as some make him out to be. Notice James' statement previously "It is my judgment". James had such a dominant role in that church that others, even the apostles were mere rubber stampers in comparison. Perhaps Peter had a misconception of humility being a trait in which you allow others to walk all over you.

Furthermore consider in Acts 11 when he returned preaching to the Gentile Cornelius, and that even reluctantly. This is how he was welcomed in his own church, the circumcised believers criticized him and said, "You went into the house of uncircumcised men and ate with them." Acts 11:3,4 Note the prejudice. Obviously if even an apostle has to come up with an excuse to preach to the Gentiles, Gentile Christians were not welcomed in that church. This despite the fact that James himself hypocritically writes, "My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality." James 2:1 Paul writes, "there is no difference between Jew and Gentile" Rom 10:12 and he preaches the same gospel to both. But in the church of Jerusalem there was reckoned a difference between Jew and Gentile. James even made a distinction between the two in his tinkering with the gospel. And then Peter abandons his responsibility to the Gentile Christians, abandoning the Great Commission given him, abandoning the fact that he himself admitted that Christ had called him to preach to the Gentiles, and decided to make his ministry exclusively to the Jews, along with John and James. "James, Peter and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the Jews." Gal 2:9 Though while they (James, Peter and John) agreed to this, Paul apparently didn't agree. For he continued to minister to both Jew and Gentile alike and never even mentioned the decree in any of his epistles even though in Galatians he spoke of the meeting.

Peter Rebuked for Fear and Hypocrisy

"When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group." Gal 2:11,12

Likely what happened here is that James wanted to make sure that the regulations he had imposed on the Gentile Christians were being observed. Interesting to note, first of all, who did James send? He sent the very category of people who had been preaching a false gospel to begin with - the group of the circumcision. Likely the same false pharisaical brothers among the leadership in Jerusalem who had insisted, "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses." Acts 15:5 (Kind of an - in your face Paul - moment) Paul noticed that Peter was apparently afraid of these guys. Doesn't say why he was afraid, but it appears that through James' influence and his circumcision cronies, and Peter's fear and insecurity lead to the rise of Catholicism. If Paul had taken a more direct approach from the start in dealing with that sect, rebuking James directly for what he explicitly said in tinkering with the gospel, as he had publicly rebuked Peter for what Peter only implied by his actions, Catholicism and the rise of other Neo-Circumcision sects, may have been rooted out from the start. Nonetheless in his battle against the Circumcision Paul has left us with ammunition in his epistles against such sects.
Why are you so mad at the Catholic church?
You should like it,,,Augustine was catholic and thanks to him John Calvin got his ideas.

You continue to misquote what catholics believe.
You want to pit James against the others. He was Jesus' brother - I think he knew better than you or I what Jesus believed.

Acts is speaking about CIRCUMCISION.
Paul did NOT abolish the law...he only stated we are no longer under the law as the Jews had been...
Jesus said He did not come to abolish the law.
Not a dot would be removed from the law till the end.

Your O.P. is much too long and has too many errors in it to be taken seriously by anyone familiar with Christian doctrine in general.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why are you so mad at the Catholic church?
You should like it,,,Augustine was catholic and thanks to him John Calvin got his ideas.

You continue to misquote what catholics believe.
You want to pit James against the others. He was Jesus' brother - I think he knew better than you or I what Jesus believed.

Acts is speaking about CIRCUMCISION.
Paul did NOT abolish the law...he only stated we are no longer under the law as the Jews had been...
Jesus said He did not come to abolish the law.
Not a dot would be removed from the law till the end.

Your O.P. is much too long and has too many errors in it to be taken seriously by anyone familiar with Christian doctrine in general.

his post is better than most. I don't think he should be ashamed of this post.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christians aren't required to circumstance their sons because the Council of Jerusalem decided it wasn't necessary.
Read the text. That was to GENTILE Christians ONLY.
In the very next chapter Paul circumcised Timothy since he had a Jewish mother. (But refused to circ’ Titus)

And then writes in Galatians that anyone (including Timothy) who received circ’ becomes accountable to the whole Law.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
his post is better than most. I don't think he should be ashamed of this post.
He's an intelligent person and I'm not saying he should be ashamed.

What I'm saying is that one should post correct doctrine of a faith to which they don't belong.

What if I posted wrong doctrine for the calvinist faith?
I'm sure the other member would not be too happy about this.

I ask for intellectual honesty.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's an intelligent person and I'm not saying he should be ashamed.

What I'm saying is that one should post correct doctrine of a faith to which they don't belong.

What if I posted wrong doctrine for the calvinist faith?
I'm sure the other member would not be too happy about this.

I ask for intellectual honesty.

I think various congregations take themselves to seriously on online forums to often. You don't go on an online forum to get love usually. If a person needs companionship they should call someone on the phone, send a private message or email someone or go to church

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think various congregations take themselves to seriously on online forums to often. You don't go on an online forum to get love usually. If a person needs companionship they should call someone on the phone, send a private message or email someone or go to church
That's pretty funny.
Have you been on forums long?
Some people come here for fellowship and make THIS their church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's pretty funny.
Have you been on forums long?
Some people come here for fellowship and make THIS their church.

true but why not have a private chat between 2 or more people? Why let the wolves come in and pounce on your sheep friends? Doesn't that make sense?

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
true but why not have a private chat between 2 or more people? Why let the wolves come in and pounce on your sheep friends? Doesn't that make sense?
No it doesn't make sense.
Why should I have a private conversation with anyone?
I don't know anyone here...I'm here to SHARE the word of God. There are persons reading along that we're not even aware of...this is mostly for their benefit since no one here is going to change each other's mind.

It's a good place to learn too. No one knows everything and there's much to be learned here -- not that this is my choice for learning --- that would be a church.

Now, I don't know who my sheep friends are since I have none here. And yes, it's those wolves I'm here for. Why let them run loose?

Upvote 0

frogoon234

Feb 8, 2019
Lexington Park
✟5,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it doesn't make sense.
Why should I have a private conversation with anyone?
I don't know anyone here...I'm here to SHARE the word of God. There are persons reading along that we're not even aware of...this is mostly for their benefit since no one here is going to change each other's mind.

It's a good place to learn too. No one knows everything and there's much to be learned here -- not that this is my choice for learning --- that would be a church.

Now, I don't know who my sheep friends are since I have none here. And yes, it's those wolves I'm here for. Why let them run loose?

alot of what you are saying is what i'm getting at. There are mean people from every denomination on this forum and too think you are going to go on an open online forum and have every body be nice to us is irrational in my opinion.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
alot of what you are saying is what i'm getting at. There are mean people from every denomination on this forum and too think you are going to go on an open online forum and have every body be nice to us is irrational in my opinion.
Oh, I see.
Well, I find nice persons on here too...most persons are nice.

Some do not act Christianly and love humanity.
I can't stop what I enjoy doing because of a few.
I'm also here so I don't forget what I know. I find
that if you don't stay active, you tend to forget things.

• Haha
Reactions: frogoon234
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The council at Jerusalem's most critical achievement was to affirm that Gentiles did not first have to become Jews in order to receive salvation in Jesus Christ. This was the effect of not requiring circumcision for conversion. The question is the purpose of the ensuing "James clause":

therefore I judge not to trouble those from the Gentiles turning to God,
but to write to them to abstain from the pollutions of idols, from sexual immorality, from things strangled, and from blood.
For Moses has those proclaiming him in every city, from generations of old, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath." -Acts 15:19-21
The church had a real problem on its hands. The Jews were thoroughly indoctrinated into the laws of Moses, while the Gentiles were not and likely were not willing to be. How then were the growing churches to have any sort of peace and unity within? James acknowledges the problem here by citing that the law of Moses is proclaimed in virtually every city, and makes the suggestion to require a couple of the most obvious dietary laws, and for good measure the necessity of sexual morality - a fairly new concept to many of the Gentile converts - in order that the two camps can coexist together and begin to become one flock just as the Lord had envisioned.

I would point out that the acts prohibited to the Gentile Christians were specific acts of pagan temple rituals. They had essentially backed up what Paul was already teaching his Gentile congregations (1 Corinthians 10).

• Agree
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just as a point, it appears to me that the letter written by the Counsel in Acts 15 actually forms the first written document of the New Testament.
That is a good point RDKirk and one that I have never considered before.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I would point out that the acts prohibited to the Gentile Christians were specific acts of pagan temple rituals. They had essentially backed up what Paul was already teaching his Gentile congregations (1 Corinthians 10).
Another very good point and that makes perfect sense.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
You mean like "Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it." 1Cor 10:25,26 which I already had mentioned in the OP. Doesn't sound like Paul took issue with eating meat from strangled animals. Nor, unlike James, did he view salvation as contingent upon abstaining from eating such things. The Acts 15 decree had to do with salvation being contingent upon compliance to regulations. James disagreed with Peter and Paul and viewed salvation as contingent upon which what one eats and drinks.

Paul ignored the decree and preach a gospel contrary to it. You won't find the decree mentioned in any of his epistles, not even Galatians, what does that tell you about it's alleged "importance". It's only important to those who want to tinker with the gospel, using it as a precedent to leaven the whole lump.

Upvote 0