The acceptance of hypocrisy

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The church does not accept LGBT folks in church due to the sentiment "from the beginning it was not so"

The church does accept divorced people and even allows them to remarry, even though Jesus said remarrying equals adultery "because from the beginning it was not so"

Should the church be concerned about the acceptance of this, and similar hypocrisies? How does God tend to respond to hypocrisy when quoted directly in the bible?

Once you have one blind spot, many others crop up in that space, and become a thing all of a sudden. Might be worth a discussion.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The church does not accept LGBT folks in church due to the sentiment "from the beginning it was not so"
The church does accept divorced people and even allows them to remarry, even though Jesus said remarrying equals adultery "because from the beginning it was not so"
Should the church be concerned about the acceptance of this, and similar hypocrisies? How does God tend to respond to hypocrisy when quoted directly in the bible?
Once you have one blind spot, many others crop up in that space, and become a thing all of a sudden.

The church must accept hypocrisy. The Bible says it is who we are as Christians.

15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

Galatians 5:17
For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I feel that we need to know which churches you are referring to?

If we are to give accurate replies and not indict every church of hypocrisy, that would be essential. That is unless, when you say "similar hypocrisies," you are meaning to throw open the discussion to whatever hypocrisies offend any of us.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The church must accept hypocrisy. The Bible says it is who we are.

15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
The bible does not say sin is who we are.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is not a clear cut issue of hypocrisy as you suggest.

If you want serious research on this I can provide it.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible does not say sin is who we are.
Correct. It says hypocrisy is what we do.

Philippians 3:12-14
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

James 3:2
For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
This is not a clear cut issue of hypocrisy as you suggest.

If you want serious research on this I can provide it.
I think the research is part of the problem, for both issues.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Homosexuals and the divorced are still our neighbors. Our disagreement with behavior and choices doesn’t absolve us from His mandate.

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.

~bella

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Homosexuals and the divorced are still our neighbors. Our disagreement with behavior and choices doesn’t absolve us from His mandate.

Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.

~bella
That would be nice if applied consistently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

~bella

So maybe the problem is not so much hypocrisy but a failure to extend grace across the board.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So maybe the problem is not so much hypocrisy but a failure to extend grace across the board.

An omission of struggle in one area isn’t absence in another. Human nature 101.

Less talk. More prayer. That’s the answer.

~bella

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Once you have one blind spot, many others crop up in that space, and become a thing all of a sudden. Might be worth a discussion.
Interesting. . .who's gonna' tackle remarriage?

A "convenient" interpretation was the solution.

Even the Catholic Church finally caved in with a bizarre solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
An omission of struggle in one area isn’t absence in another. Human nature 101.

Less talk. More prayer. That’s the answer.

~bella

Cryptic is fun, I guess, but I'm not sure how that relates to my comment.

If we are going to be gracious to some, then we need to extend it across the board. If we won't do that, then the charge of hypocrisy is on target.

• Agree
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That would be nice if applied consistently.
There's a difference between our "neighbor" and our "brother in Christ" in the fellowship.

It is not to be applied consistently to the two.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If we are going to be gracious to some, then we need to extend it across the board. If we won't do that, then the charge of hypocrisy is on target.
See 1 Corinthians 5.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
See 1 Corinthians 5.

Hey, I get it. We should get all the sinners out of church. Then, we close the doors because no one will be left.

We treat homosexuality like it's some kind of unforgivable sin. But divorce and remarriage are forgivable. Cheating on your taxes. Forgivable. Taking a peak at inappropriate content. Forgivable. Misrepresenting what others say. Forgivable. Gossip is forgivable. Slander is rife, and forgivable. Covetousness is forgivable.

It's all hypocrisy until we drive all sinners out, or learn to be gracious with the faults of others as we are with our own.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

If you spend a lot of energy dwelling on what’s amiss you’ll develop biases. Prayer is a strategic response and the lone one that engages heaven.

Instead of talking about homosexuality, abortion, et al. Pray instead. It does wonders for the heart.

~bella

Upvote 0