Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A recent academic theory dates the oldest image to the 2nd century.

As summarized in a recent article, the Old and New Testament provide many descriptions of the words and actions of Jesus but none about his looks. That’s why painters and icon-makers relied mostly on artistic canon, rather than realism, when they had to portray the Messiah in icons or frescoes. The same principle goes for Mary, as the scriptures do not provide many details about her appearance either.

But by looking at the earliest depictions of the Blessed Mother, we can infer a lot about the main character traits that artists wanted to stress —from nurturing and motherly love to obedience to God—and about the different artistic styles developed by Christian communities during the first nine centuries of Christianity.

Take a look at these nine early images of Our Lady:

Continued below.
The 9 oldest images of Mary

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Very interesting and pertinent in this Advent season. These depictions make me curious. Often, Mary is referred to as a young teen, 13 or 14, but these pictures are much more matronly. Obviously, when Mary had Jesus she was of an age to yet have more childbearing years ahead of her, but perhaps she was not so young as is sometimes speculated. Or maybe the artists just weren't that great at depicting young women so they all used their own mothers as inspiration :)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting and pertinent in this Advent season. These depictions make me curious. Often, Mary is referred to as a young teen, 13 or 14, but these pictures are much more matronly. Obviously, when Mary had Jesus she was of an age to yet have more childbearing years ahead of her, but perhaps she was not so young as is sometimes speculated. Or maybe the artists just weren't that great at depicting young women so they all used their own mothers as inspiration :)
Most people came to know Mary through Jesus' ministry, by which stage she would have been in her mid to late 40's, so it is not at all surprising that she is depicted much older in Nativity icons.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
A recent academic theory dates the oldest image to the 2nd century.

As summarized in a recent article, the Old and New Testament provide many descriptions of the words and actions of Jesus but none about his looks. That’s why painters and icon-makers relied mostly on artistic canon, rather than realism, when they had to portray the Messiah in icons or frescoes. The same principle goes for Mary, as the scriptures do not provide many details about her appearance either.

But by looking at the earliest depictions of the Blessed Mother, we can infer a lot about the main character traits that artists wanted to stress —from nurturing and motherly love to obedience to God—and about the different artistic styles developed by Christian communities during the first nine centuries of Christianity.

Take a look at these nine early images of Our Lady:

Continued below.
The 9 oldest images of Mary
Nursing the Lord seems a bit immodest for quite a modest lady.
Interesting I didn’t see St Luke’s art

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I guess I'm just looking for art to give us a few threads we can add into any historical speculation. Not overly important or theologically relevant, just curious. Anything that can open our eyes and animate our spiritual forebears is helpful in my book.

By that same token, a nursing Mary can be an immediate point of connection. Nothing inherently immodest there, though I must say the Christ child locking a dead stare while nursing is a little unsettling...

P.S. I mean no disrespect and apologize for any cultural misunderstanding. I am not from a Catholic background but have always enjoyed the Advent season. Recently I have been looking to some of Michie's postings to get me through the lockdown dearth.

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0