Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
An acorn is not an oak tree and a clump of cells is not a human being.
I think you mean sperm and egg are not human beings. Once they are joined together and form new life, a new human being is created.

I'm a clump of cells, too.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree. It has never breathed air, can't think, can't feel. Not counted on a census or tax return or charged admission to events. Not a human being by any standard. A clump of cells.
Biology says otherwise.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Biology says otherwise.
Everything I said, "It has never breathed air, can't think, can't feel. Not counted on a census or tax return or charged admission to events. Not a human being by any standard. A clump of cells", is based in biology or legal fact.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Everything I said, "It has never breathed air, can't think, can't feel. Not counted on a census or tax return or charged admission to events. Not a human being by any standard. A clump of cells", is based in biology or legal fact.
It’s a human in development.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think you mean sperm and egg are not human beings. Once they are joined together and form new life, a new human being is created.
As I've explained previously, this is impossible. Human beings are distinct and quantifiable. At conception, you have a zygote which might result in a live birth, or possibly two or three or more. Most likely, it will miscarry and we'll never know it. Live birth is the exception, not the norm in nature. Since you can't quantify the number of live births that will result, or even number present in the zygote, you can't have a human being (or beings) at conception. You must be able to quantify it/them at that moment, or else you don't have humans. Why? Because, again, humans are distinct and quantifiable. "A minimum of one human being" is too vague. If the single-cell zygote miscarries before it would have split into twins, how many lives were lost? One or two? Either answer defeats your argument. If one, then at least one "life" began after conception. If two, then you're claiming that two humans exist in one cell, which is biologically impossible.
I'm a clump of cells, too.
You're a human being, because you can think, breathe, and experience sensory input, and you've been born, you're counted in a census, you're accounted for in tax returns, and you pay admission to events (unless you sneak in). An embryo checks none of these boxes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It kills the unborn child and harms the mother. It's profoundly harmful.
If the procedure is successful, she experiences no harm. I know plenty of women who have had abortions, and they have no physical nor emotional harm from it. For what it's worth, none of them were impregnated by me, but we've discussed the matter at length.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If the procedure is successful, she experiences no harm. I know plenty of women who have had abortions, and they have no physical nor emotional harm from it. For what it's worth, none of them were impregnated by me, but we've discussed the matter at length.
How would you know? She can hide her emotions too, but I think that’s another can of worms here.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As I've explained previously, this is impossible. Human beings are distinct and quantifiable. At conception, you have a zygote which might result in a live birth, or possibly two or three or more. Most likely, it will miscarry and we'll never know it. Live birth is the exception, not the norm in nature. Since you can't quantify the number of live births that will result, or even number present in the zygote, you can't have a human being (or beings) at conception. You must be able to quantify it/them at that moment, or else you don't have humans. Why? Because, again, humans are distinct and quantifiable. "A minimum of one human being" is too vague. If the single-cell zygote miscarries before it would have split into twins, how many lives were lost? One or two? Either answer defeats your argument. If one, then at least one "life" began after conception. If two, then you're claiming that two humans exist in one cell, which is biologically impossible.

You're a human being, because you can think, breathe, and experience sensory input, and you've been born, your counted in a census, you're accounted for in tax returns, and you pay admission to events (unless you sneak in). An embryo checks none of these boxes.
Yes, they’re human beings in stages of development. If the zygote, embryo, fetus isn’t human, what are they? That’s the real question and if people have the right to deliberately kill them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How would you know? She can hide her emotions too, but I think that’s another can of worms here.
People experience all sorts of negative emotions all the time. I'm sure a lot of football fans will experience sadness today. Does that mean football should be banned? Preventing people from having feelings seems a bit overbearing on the part of the government, wouldn't you say?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
People experience all sorts of negative emotions all the time. I'm sure a lot of football fans will experience sadness today. Does that mean football should be banned? Preventing people from having feelings seems a bit overbearing on the part of the government, wouldn't you say?
Football is not related to abortion, but great analogy.

I’m not about preventing people from having feelings, but preventing people from harming others.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, they’re human beings in stages of development.
You're starting the point that you've yet to prove.
If the zygote, embryo, fetus isn’t human, what are they?
Questions are not evidence nor are they an argument. I've explained what they are not human. You've yet to establish that they are, nor have you addressed my "distinct and quantifiable" argument.
That’s the real question and if people have the right to deliberately kill them.
Address my arguments above first, please.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You're starting the point that you've yet to prove.

Questions are not evidence nor are they an argument. I've explained what they are not human. You've yet to establish that they are, nor have you addressed my "distinct and quantifiable" argument.

Address my arguments above first, please.
They are human in development. To say otherwise is denying the basic biology. You’re right the zygote et al goes through different stages, but it doesn’t make them less human.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I guess if there were no actual rebuttals to the actual experience of actual women, pretending everyone who disagrees is lying would help quiet the cognitive dissonance for a bit.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They are human in development. To say otherwise is denying the basic biology. You’re right the zygote et al goes through different stages, but it doesn’t make them less human.
If you can't quantify it, it's not a human being.

Upvote 0

Velaut

Sep 23, 2016
Belgium
✟69,670.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a difference between human (adj) and human (noun).
What do you celebrate on your birthday? The day that you were ...
What does your age represent? The time you are alive since the moment you were ....

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Back to empty assertions, I see. Probably best to try and distract away from the complex reality of the situation using whatever it takes.
Just because you disagree doesn’t make it an empty assertion

Upvote 0