The 12 apostles, what did they do after the resurrection?

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive always wondered this too and have thought it is a great question. Jesus spent a few years with them made them Apostiles....so what did they do. We can read of Peter and some of his accounts but what of the others.
After Acts 15 , little is heard of Peter as James has taken over Peter's position in Acts 21:20 were being zealous of the Law , means Law of Moses .
In Gal 2:7 Peter preached THE CIRCUMCISION .

So , James seceded Peter and then Paul had a meeting in Acts 28:17 --28 Israel was set aside .

2 Cor 3:13--14 explains why Israel was set aside and why Paul turned to the Gentiles .

dan p

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ive always wondered this too and have thought it is a great question. Jesus spent a few years with them made them Apostiles....so what did they do. We can read of Peter and some of his accounts but what of the others.
The others carried out, as long as they lived, the commandments of Christ. They went into all the world and preached the gospel. They baptised in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. They laid hands on men of good reputation who were not neophytes in the faith and made those men into priests and bishops to carry on the work of the gospel in the world until Christ shall come again. And their deeds are remembered in sacred Tradition.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The others carried out, as long as they lived, the commandments of Christ. They went into all the world and preached the gospel. They baptised in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. They laid hands on men of good reputation who were not neophytes in the faith and made those men into priests and bishops to carry on the work of the gospel in the world until Christ shall come again. And their deeds are remembered in sacred Tradition.
I can see where the bible says , in John 21:18 and verse 20 that ONLY two disciples are mentioned that were told when they would die .

#1 In verse 18 and 19 we see that Peter will die of OLD AGE .

#2 And in verse 20 and 24 That speaks about John and his death is not told , by Jesus .

#3 TRADITION is always wrong , Period !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
#3 TRADITION is always wrong , Period !!
Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. [1Co 11:2]
So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter. [2Th 2:15]

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rubbish.

The Gospels themselves were "Oral Traditions" once, as was the Old Testament.
Here is what the apostle Paul wrote in Colossians 2:8

Take heed lest anyone shall be ROBBING you through the LOVE of human wisdom , called Philosophy and empty deceit according to the TRADITIONS of men , according to to the basic principles of the world and not according to Christ >

dan p

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 21:18 speaks about not ONLY Peter , bot on John in verse 20

Verse 18 Verily , verily , I say unto thee , When thou was young , thou gidedst thyself , and walkedst whither thou wouldest , but when thou shalt be old , thou shalt stretch forth thy hands , and another shall gird thee , and carry thee whither thou wouldest not .

Verse 19 , This spake he , signifing by what DEATH he should glorify God .

That means Peter will die of OLD AGE .

Verse 20-24 it TRUE .

dan p

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here is what the apostle Paul wrote in Colossians 2:8

Take heed lest anyone shall be ROBBING you through the LOVE of human wisdom , called Philosophy and empty deceit according to the TRADITIONS of men , according to to the basic principles of the world and not according to Christ >

dan p
Of course, Apostolic Tradition is not "the traditions of [ungodly] men".

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course, Apostolic Tradition is not "the traditions of [ungodly] men".
Since you do believe that there are Priest , , that means to me that you have to believe in the LAW OF MOSES .

1 Cor 11:2 that you quoted , and depending what version you used , TRADITION // PARADOSIS can be translated , giving over , or instructions and TRADITIONS were abused the ELDERS in Matt 15:2 , 3 and 6 , 9 , and in verse 12 the Pharisees were offended and the word TRADITION do not have a good name .

dan p

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Mark 3:14 And he appointed twelve, to be with him, and to be sent out to preach 15 and have authority to cast out demons: 16 Simon whom he surnamed Peter; 17 James the son of Zeb'edee and John the brother of James, whom he surnamed Bo-aner'ges, that is, sons of thunder; 18 Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Cananaean,19 and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him. Then he went home;

Acts 1:23 And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsab'bas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthi'as. 24 And they prayed and said, "Lord, who knowest the hearts of all men, show which one of these two thou hast chosen 25 to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside, to go to his own place."26 And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthi'as; and he was enrolled with the eleven apostles.

After the resurrection what did these 12 do, excluding Judas who died by suicide, and including Matthias who was chosen to replace Judas.
Just curious; are the lives/deaths of the Saints part of your Lectionary or daily readings?
The story of Lazarus has been one that I enjoyed reading. "Clay stealing clay.."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Just curious; are the lives/deaths of the Saints part of your Lectionary or daily readings?
The story of Lazarus has been one that I enjoyed reading. "Clay stealing clay.."

They are in the Liturgy of the Hours I believe…in the past the Martrology was an important part of the Divine Office, just as the Synaxarion is an important part of the Horologion. Of the ancient liturgical rites only the Coptic Orthodox to my certain knowledge, and I believe, but am not sure, the Ethiopians, read the Synaxarion during the Divine Liturgy.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Since you do believe that there are Priest , , that means to me that you have to believe in the LAW OF MOSES .
Sir, "priest" is derived from presbyter and means "elder". The word for the kind of priest that sacrificed according to the law of Moses, used in the Old Testament and the New, in Greek, is hiereus.

Catholic priests are presbyters. All Christians are priests and kings in Christ. And the law of Moses, with its sacrifices, is completed and made redundant by the costly sacrifice of the Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
They are in the Liturgy of the Hours I believe…in the past the Martrology was an important part of the Divine Office, just as the Synaxarion is an important part of the Horologion. Of the ancient liturgical rites only the Coptic Orthodox to my certain knowledge, and I believe, but am not sure, the Ethiopians, read the Synaxarion during the Divine Liturgy.
The Synaxarion is read during Orthros/Matins every Sunday in our parish (edit to add/clarify, it's part of every Matins/Orthros regardless of the day of the week)
There's also a publication of Daily Readings that includes lives of the Saints. For example in today's readings there is some expanded information about Saint Tatiana the martyr of Rome along with mentions of Saints Benedict, Peter of Absolom, Euthasia the virgin martyr, Martyr Meritos, Basil and john the Heirmartyrs.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Yes, their stories are in the Divine Office, the liturgy of the hours.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, their stories are in the Divine Office, the liturgy of the hours.
Your topic/OP is a good one.
Personal anecdote; I grew up in church, every Sunday. One could count on fingers and toes the number of times i missed a Sunday service in my entire life. However, most of my (60+) years were in churches where this was not mentioned. After I was introduced to the daily readings, I asked my former priest, "how did I not know this?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status