✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes.

As a recent revert, I find myself now struggling with this issue of community.
It is done so noticeably different in Catholic vs Protestant churches.

But the need to belong to a 'community' seems to be something the Mormons understand. They will 'swoop in' and offer a sense of community ("family") to the lonely, the troubled, the down and outter ... take them into their homes ... and make them part of the 'family'. I don't doubt the motive is to grow their church ... and I think maybe they get 'points' for bringing in new converts (?) ... but it is an effective way to get converts to their faith. Offer a person a sense of "family". I've watched it happen ...

I think many of us want that sense of community ... family ... in the church that we attend and support.
While the Mormons I have known have been very kind, helpful, welcoming ... I do know their religion is very "works based".
And so, while I appreciated our friendships, I also suspected there may have been other motives for the way they did things ...
When I was baptized, they showered me with love! A year later someone suggested that I realize my full potential and become a goddess someday. I secretly thought, "That sounds pagan!" When I told a Mormon about a year later that I was having doubts, she said you have to obey if you want a testimony. In Sunday school for converts, I read Joseph Smith's comments about the Trinity. They were horrible comments! Over the years they've studied PR and are taught to keep more teachimgs secret.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When I was baptized, they showered me with love! A year later someone suggested that I realize my full potential and become a goddess someday. I secretly thought, "That sounds pagan!" When I told a Mormon about a year later that I was having doubts, she said you have to obey if you want a testimony. In Sunday school for converts, I read Joseph Smith's comments about the Trinity. They were horrible comments! Over the years they've studied PR and are taught to keep more teachimgs secret.
You don’t need to convince anyone they are a cult whose core skill is marketing not Christianity.

I am just observing that Catholics should make people far more welcome!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You don’t need to convince anyone they are a cult whose core skill is marketing not Christianity.

I am just observing that Catholics should make people far more welcome!
All churches are less friendly to newcomers, but that's the same in neighborhoods not just churches. People want the ones they meet to be in 100% agreement. Mormons want to draw you in, but afterwards you'd better believe and obey the laws and ordinances of Mormonism. Mormon laws and ordinances are referred to as the "gospel."

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.” —Articles of Faith 1:3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm very glad for you, that you got out.
I don't imagine it was easy to do. (Do they 'shun' members who leave?)

May God continue to bless you, Rescued One.

:cherryblossom:

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm very glad for you, that you got out.
I don't imagine it was easy to do. (Do they 'shun' members who leave?)

May God continue to bless you, Rescued One.

:cherryblossom:
Are you kidding? You are considered inactive until you ask to have your name removed. But I don't know what they do these days. We were excommunicated way back then in another state --- that implies that you are extremely evil. Some Mormons didn't even want to see us at a grocery store. Now I don't think they excommunicate people for leaving. But I wasn't part of a huge family of Mormons. Most of my relatives aren't/weren't any religion.

God has helped me overcome a lot of things. I've learned to recognize my blessings!

Upvote 0