Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Not sure what his angle is on this one (apart from being an obvious, petty, and superficial attack on who he sees as his main rival)

But he's been taking a number of stances recently that could be seen as somewhat counterproductive given the base he's chosen to endear himself to over the past 6 years.

He appeared to side with Disney over DeSantis

Appears to be chastising others in the GOP for being "too strict" on abortion (not two months after bragging and taking credit for "killing Roe v. wade").

He also has been taking a "not so conservative stance" on certain entitlement programs.

Had he built his base off of the Chris Sununu/Larry Hogan centrist type of republicans, this strategy may make some sense.

However, he's spent a good part of the last decade trying to ally with and energize the most right wing part of the base, only to then run to the left of his main primary opponent?? Seems like a gamble.

Only thing I can figure is that maybe he has campaign advisors in his ear giving him the impression that he'll easily cruise through the primaries, and these more "softened" stances are part of a strategy to gain more moderate/independent votes that he was lacking (and caused him to lose to Biden) in 2020.

Or, perhaps I'm giving it too much thought and it really is just as simple as the short-sighted "ready, fire, aim" mentality he's become known for.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Woke panic is working pretty well on "conservatives" I think. Abandoning that ground does seem counterproductive.

Otoh Desantis owns the woke panic brand, and it seems to be the sole visible plank of his platform. So its the only place to attack short of fabricating some Desantis personal scandal or going after his family - which is probably coming.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not sure what his angle is on this one (apart from being an obvious, petty, and superficial attack on who he sees as his main rival)

But he's been taking a number of stances recently that could be seen as somewhat counterproductive given the base he's chosen to endear himself to over the past 6 years.

Appears to be chastising others in the GOP for being "too strict" on abortion (not two months after bragging and taking credit for "killing Roe v. wade").

He also has been taking a "not so conservative stance" on certain entitlement programs.

Had he built his base off of the Chris Sununu/Larry Hogan centrist type of republicans, this strategy may make some sense.

However, he's spent a good part of the last decade trying to ally with and energize the most right wing part of the base, only to then run to the left of his main primary opponent?? Seems like a gamble.

Only thing I can figure is that maybe he has campaign advisors in his ear giving him the impression that he'll easily cruise through the primaries, and these more "softened" stances are part of a strategy to gain more moderate/independent votes that he was lacking (and caused him to lose to Biden) in 2020.

Or, perhaps I'm giving it too much thought and it really is just as simple as the short-sighted "ready, fire, aim" mentality he's become known for.
He has no angle. He has always been for himself. We can't box him into any political catagory because of his cameolion character.
My opinion.

In case....
Here is a description of someone who has a chameleon character:

• They are able to adapt to their surroundings and change their personality to fit in.
  • They are often seen as being fake or insincere.
  • They may have a hard time forming close relationships because they are constantly changing.
  • They may be seen as being manipulative or controlling.
  • They may have a hard time finding their own identity.
.....sound familiar?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It makes him seem like a centrist. I guess he's doing it for all those people who missed his four year term as a centrist President.

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I get the feeling expecting consistency and logic from Trump is much like expecting fish to ride bicycles.
...you'd think at least his advisors and political strategists would have had some input on some of that.

Championing certain ideological platforms, to only then oppose them just to be "against" someone who one's own side also likes seems like political suicide.

It's tantamount to a politician running on a hardcore vegan platform and whipping PETA activists up into a frenzy, then when another popular politician also adopts that platform, coming out against them and saying "well, steaks and bacon are actually pretty good"

• Optimistic
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree with him (and I never thought I would ever agree with him.) Most people who keep using the word woke cannot even define it. I have always thought woke meant not asleep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Trump is a brilliant strategist, imagine him trying to look like the “moderate choice” as if MAGA wasn’t a mean & angry movement.
He is like the wind, changeable . Who can trust a wayward wind?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with him (and I never thought I would ever agree with him.) Most people who keep using the word wok cannot even define it. I have always thought woke meant not asleep.
I've heard a couple definitions (that are a little more refined than the typical "anything the left does that I don't like is woke")

The "positive" one would be describing the state of being aware or sensitive to various social injustices. (which was the original definition of the expression that was championed by protestors on their signs at women's marches and social justice oriented events)

The "negative" one would be referring to some of the efforts, demands, and practices associated with weaponized political correctness.

I would say both definitions have times where they're accurate descriptors, and both have their moments where they're falling into the trap of semantic overload by getting invoked to describe the other.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It makes him seem like a centrist. I guess he's doing it for all those people who missed his four year term as a centrist President.
The flaw in his plan...

Centrists and moderates (in most cases) don't have the same limited attention span and blinders that other more hyper-partisan types have.

The other flaw is that the two wings (the right a little more than the left) seem to be more conditioned to the idea of ideological purity.

You can find a lot of republicans that will call others in their party "RINO", you can find a some democrats (like the squad) that will bash more centrist democrats for not being progressive enough. However, I can't recall any time I've heard a moderate (candidate, fellow citizen, or otherwise) start tossing around accusations labelling others as "not being real moderates".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,549.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Trump will do anything if he thinks it will be to his benefit. He'll throw anyone under a bus if he thinks it would benefit him. He'll flail around doing what he (in his myopic self serving way) thinks will benefit him.

And to be fair a lot of Americans cheer him on in doing so.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"I don't like the term 'woke,'" Trump said. "'Woke, woke, woke' ... Half the people can't even define it, they don't know what it is."

For the first time I agree with him....though I think it's more than half....

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

That's purely targetting DeSantis I'm SURE.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's purely targetting DeSantis I'm SURE.
That's my gut reaction...

Perhaps his political advisers were advising against such things, and he's not listening...or he's hired "yes men" to help run his campaign (which is totally plausible given his "loyalty above all" employment strategies in the past)

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,339.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's my gut reaction...

Perhaps his political advisers were advising against such things, and he's not listening...or he's hired "yes men" to help run his campaign (which is totally plausible given his "loyalty above all" employment strategies in the past)
I'm not convinced Trump necessarily listens to his advisers very much

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

It means he can read polling which has shown that people in general are confused as to what conservatives are talking/mad about (to the point where "wokeness" is seen as positive by many.

So, he apparently realizes what a losing issue looks like and is differentiating himself from an opponent who is tied to it. It's generally horrid framing for a general election that he need not buy into.

The funny part is that he is correct, Woke is a conservative dog whistle being blown by culture warriors in a way that will likely turn off most people if and when we ever get into specifics of what we're talking about and what to do about it.

The problem with DeSantis is that most of his recent policies are only popular with a rather crazy section of the GOP's most highly reactionary religious folks that already worship Trump .

There's simply no reason for Trump to tie HIS brand to someone else's haphazard and poorly defined one. It's not a limb he's gone out on here either because he can always simply define what HE stands for and say his opponent's stance is a hot ill defined mess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,432.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Trump has been willing to anger his base, like with his support of the vaccines, which a lot of his base detest. His base generally ignores those episodes and cheers him on regardless.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It means he can read polling which has shown that people in general are confused as to what conservatives are talking/mad about (to the point where "wokeness" is seen as positive by many.

So, he apparently realizes what a losing issue looks like and is differentiating himself from an opponent who is tied to it. It's generally horrid framing for a general election that he need not buy into.
But the people who are confused as to what conservatives are mad about are moderates and liberals, and there's nothing to indicate that there's much of a chance of them voting for him over Biden.

Whether left & center-left people think he's slightly less terrible on that issue than DeSantis doesn't really help him at all in that regard. It still seems like one of those "a lot to lose, little to gain" situations.

Upvote 0