Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Giant 4,000 pound sunfish was rescued from a fishing net off the Spanish coast of Ceuta - CNN

To the surprise of researchers and sunfish enthusiasts worldwide, a more than 4,000-pound sunfish was found tangled in the nets of a tuna-fishing boat off the coast of Ceuta, an autonomous Spanish port city in north Africa bordering Morocco, on October 4.

The mammoth sunfish measured 10.5 feet long and 9.5 feet wide.​
These are very old and strange fish. They are huge but kind of flat proportionately and they frequently go to the surface of the water, as if they are trying to sun themselves, which is how I think they get the name. They are harmless (although so huge they can do some damage probably if they wanted to) and they are curious so they will not run away when you go by them with a boat. You usually see them when they "flop" their big dorsal fin over while they are at the surface. They go to the surface so that birds will come and eat parasitic worms off their skin which is prone to parasites. They do the same with certain fish in the water who clean them.

I'll never forget the first time I saw one just a few years ago - I was deep-sea fishing, about 30 miles off the coast of Montauk, Long Island. When you are that far out, the water is a really interesting shade of deep blue, which was my first surprise, but then these things were the other surprise, we saw several and they are huge and weird!

God's creation is so amazing - just more evidence of Him, as I see it.

Upvote 0