✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
THAT NAGGING FEELING

Tom pulled off the gloves. It had been a cold ride, the temperature just reaching 15 degrees if the weather forecast was correct - cold but satisfying. The gloves had been handy though – his hands would have been blocks of ice by now if he'd left them behind.

The biker group had ridden hard along the Brisbane Valley Highway, and had pulled up at Esk, to take a break, and wait for the late comers. They weren't a gang, just a group of older blokes and some women who enjoyed riding motor bikes, usually the larger type.. They called themselves the 'The Grey Angels”. It was a bit of a word play on the 'Hell's Angels', which was a club of an altogether different stripe.

Some of the other members said the rumour was that, oddly enough, the businesses located next to or nearby the Hell's Angels didn't mind them being there. The reason was that the crime rate in the immediate vicinity of the bikie gang's headquarters was non-existent. Not one break and entry was on the books within a hundred meter radius. The cynical joke was “I wonder why?”

“Hey Tom” called one of the others, a joker by the name of Dennis, “Have you forgotten anything?” Tom was perplexed, but he knew something was afoot. He thought he could hear a few muttered jokes and some subdued laughter, more like snickers.

Truth to tell, he did have this nagging feeling that something wasn't quite right, but he couldn't put his finger on it. He'd done a pretty thorough job on his check list before he left home, and he was quite sure he hadn't missed anything.

Still, the feeling was there.

Whatever it was, he seemed to be the only one not in on the joke.

But that was bikers for you – always taking the mickey out of you.

He looked over his machine with a fond eye. He wasn't a fan of Harley Davidsons himself, and had a shaft drive Yamaha. He would have preferred a BMW, but that was out of his price range. He thought Harleys were overrated, and a status symbol. He preferred reliability, and better handling.

He touched the pannier bags. Hard plastic with a metal frame, they kept the goods dry and clean inside. He was tempted to open them and go through the contents just to make sure everything was there, but that would just be playing into the other jokers' hands. If they saw him checking his side panniers, they'd know they had him worried.

So he left them alone.

He cast his mind back – toolbox – check. Wallet – check. Mobile phone – check. And he went through the list as far as he could remember. Nothing – nothing – was missing as far as he was concerned. He'd even put in a torch in case they got held up and needed some light at night.

One of the biker's lady friends walked up. “Tom” she giggled, “we're not sure, but we still think you've forgotten something.”

He eyed her warily. “Look” he said, “I don't know what this joke is about, but I've just been through the list in my mind, and I can't think of anything. So far the bike ride has gone without a hitch, and if anyone has had a problem, it hasn't been me!”

And he stalked off to the gents, watched by a group of grinning comrades.

He finished there, and walked a couple of blocks to the bakery. It was pretty good, and he didn't mind a pie or two, especially in the cool weather they'd had today. It was going to get colder too, as the sun started to go down later. The pies would warm him up, and give him something to enjoy instead of worrying about this nagging feeling that he'd forgotten something.

“Enjoying the meal?” came the well known voice. It was the club captain, Miko, and he sat down at the next table, pushing the chair back a long way to accommodate his bulk. He smirked. “We still think you might have left something behind though.”

“What the hell...” snapped Tom, “if you're all so damned sure that I've forgotten something, why don't you just say what it is!”

“Ah, nah, we'd rather let it speak for itself”. Miko laughed, and pointed to the support vehicle which had just drawn up in front of the bakery.

To Tom's acute embarassment, the rear door opened, and out hopped one livid little lady, dressed in bike leathers, and carrying a helmet.

She crossed over to Tom who was frozen to the spot with a pie halfway to his mouth.

“You idiot!” she snarled, “You forgot me!! I'm your wife! You left me sitting in the park at flaming Ipswich, like a leather clad shag on a rock! If the rally car hadn't picked me up, I'd still be there.”

Tom rode home alone.

Reactions: Zandy12

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have biker groups in Australia? It’s a pretty good story but why did he have to swear? Grey angels I thought they were going to be Christian.

I met a couple Christian guys in the group moloch in calif. we exchanged tracks. I witnessed to a hells angel one time. Boy was I scared. I had an adventure. He was ok.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We have biker groups in Australia, although we'd probably call the hard types "bikies" rather than "bikers".

There are the hardline, often criminal groups eg. Hell's Angels, Comancheros, Bandidos to name a few of the best known.

Then there are the purely social groups eg. Ulysses Club, some Veterans motorcycle clubs and so on. They're not as well known as the outlaw gangs as they don't "make the news", but there's a few of them. They're often made up of older riders.

When I wrote the story I had in mind a social biker group.

There is a Christian motorcycle club, The God Squad, of whom one of the founding members was a bloke by the unusual name of John Smith. I know a couple who are or were members as far as I'm aware. I haven't seen them for a couple of years, but I presume they are still active.

John Smith, despite his nondescriptive name, was an unusual character. Even Bono of U2 knew him.

I didn't think the story necessarily had to be Christian when I wrote it (some time ago) and submitted it. It was just a bit of creative writing, of which I should be doing more.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,789.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Post Script - After I'd written the above item, I remembered the couple I knew in "The God Squad" mentioned there was a Catholic priest as one of the members. They're Baptist themselves and the only time I've seen the God Squad as a group was when I just happened to be passing their church one day and the bikers were there.

So I dropped in and had a chat.

Anyway out of curiousity I went looking to see if they're was any reference to a Catholic priest in "The God Squad" and I found this article in "The Catholic Leader" which is our local Catholic newspaper.

There's another priest who's right into mountain climbing. He can have that on his own as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0