Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Holly3278 said:
That guy really needs to keep up with the law. I thought it was pretty big news when Texas took it's "anti-sodomy" law off the books last year? :confused:
I'd bet money that he knew darn well what the law was, and figured he could intimidate the couple into moving on to somewhere where he didn't have to see them.

I doubt he actually expected them to file a formal complaint. Sucks for him! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Links234
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
xMinionX said:
I'd bet money that he knew darn well what the law was, and figured he could intimidate the couple into moving on to somewhere where he didn't have to see them.

I doubt he actually expected them to file a formal complaint. Sucks for him! :thumbsup:
Hmm, I have no idea. Regardless, he deserves what he got. Even if he didn't know, he's still responsible for his remarks.

Zackmeister said:
I'm preparing to read an avalanche of letters to the editor today. Austinites are going to want this guy's head on a platter, I just know it.
The police officer's? :confused:

Upvote 0

xMinionX

Contributor
Dec 2, 2003
✟18,028.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
JiveTurkey said:
I'm not one that likes to see P.D.A.'s (public displays of affection ie., kissing, groping, ect...) I think nothing is wrong with a small kiss, but people should keep anything beyond that personal affection in their personal lives.
Well, feel free to look the other way, then. :) That's what I would do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zackmeister

Just a poor sinner
Sep 7, 2004
Texas
✟687.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Holly3278 said:
The police officer's? :confused:
Yes. I am really surprised that the cop did this. Austin cops are highly scrutinized by a generally liberal population.

What the cop did was wrong, but I generally don't like big time pda of any persuasion.

Upvote 0

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟11,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JiveTurkey said:
I'm not one that likes to see P.D.A.'s (public displays of affection ie., kissing, groping, ect...) I think nothing is wrong with a small kiss, but people should keep anything beyond that personal affection in their personal lives.

Well, then I guess you would need to get your city to pass an ordinance on kisses longer than one second. But regardless of personal feelings on the subject, one shouldn't be using an official capacity to try and enforce personal reactions to the public in general.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zackmeister said:
I'm preparing to read an avalanche of letters to the editor today. Austinites are going to want this guy's head on a platter, I just know it.

Why do you think people choose to live here, rather than in Midland (our dubious President's hometown)? :D

One would think that the Republicans (and the Capitol Police) would have realized by now that the State Capitol belongs to ALL Texans -- not just those who are Republican, conservative Christian heterosexuals!

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
xMinionX said:
Sure! Say what you will about gays and lesbians, but this is just bad police work.
Oh I totally agree. I said that because I didn't realize that Austin was a generally Liberal city.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
D. Scarlatti said:
These people need to get out of the state capitol and leave the sodomy to their elected representatives.

...and the interesting women they meet on South Congress (between Oltorf Street and Ben White Boulevard) and in East Austin (between 12th Street and MLK)!

And so MANY of them, on the occasions when they get caught, turn out to be -- Republican, conservative Christian heterosexuals!

Just another reason why I get my local news from Channel 8, and why I'm a fervent reader of The Austin Chronicle! :D

(Of course -- even with these little scandals, or an occasional DWI -- they keep getting re-elected ANYWAY...)

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:
(Of course -- even with these little scandals, or an occasional DWI -- they keep getting re-elected ANYWAY...)

After growing up in my town, it really doesn't shock me anymore what an official will do and still be re-elected. My town's first selectman (basically the Mayor). Had done the following while in office (ones with * were done on more than 1 occasion):

1. Threatened a federal tax inspector with a shotgun.
2. Started a brawl at a PTA meeting.*
3. Flipped his car off the road while driving drunk.*
4. Accused his brother in law of being a witch and tried to use that as a means of firing him from his position as the head of parks and recreation.

and those are just the ones I can remember, I swear he did something outrageous on a weekly basis. And this guy was not only reelected, but he was reelected twice!

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What he did was incorrect, granted. Isn't 6 months a bit extreme? There are cops who have shot people and had less suspension time.

Not sure on that, I think it might be that they are going to need that time to re-train him.

Upvote 0