Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I recall correctly, a thread on Reddit (with all it's blatant liberal bias, and not that I mind) was talking about the same thing. The top-rated post said something along the lines of "It's only racist if they're trying to keep people out of college, not helping people get in." That's my take on the matter as well.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Personally I have absolutely no problem with this. Scholarships are by their limited nature discriminatory. There exists a United Negro College Fund, so why not one for caucasian men?

The UNCF dosen't officially discriminate based upon skin color:

Q: Does UNCF only support African American education?
A:UNCF was founded to address inequities in the educational opportunities afforded to African Americans. UNCF believes in higher education opportunities for all Americans. UNCF-member schools do not discriminate and UNCF-administered scholarships are open to all.

UNCF

Upvote 0

rjc34

Feb 22, 2011
✟1,769.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others

A:UNCF was founded to address inequities in the educational opportunities afforded to African Americans. UNCF believes in higher education opportunities for all Americans. UNCF-member schools do not discriminate and UNCF-administered scholarships are open to all.

UNCF

Is it 'open to all' as in they look solely at the merit of the students situation for the scholarship; or is it 'open to all' as in 'you can apply, but you won't get it'.

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

UNCF

It's a bit naive to think that the UNCF doesn't discriminate based on skin color simply because their website says they don't. When was the last time you heard of a white kid getting scholarships through the UNCF?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Is it 'open to all' as in they look solely at the merit of the students situation for the scholarship; or is it 'open to all' as in 'you can apply, but you won't get it'.

RedDead1981 said:
It's a bit naive to think that the UNCF doesn't discriminate based on skin color simply because their website says they don't. When was the last time you heard of a white kid getting scholarships through the UNCF?

That is why I said they don't "officially" discriminate, while this white person scholarship does.

They could just as easily do as other scholarships do and be the "disadvantaged white man" DWM scholarship and only unofficially discriminate.

;)

The difference is that they want to have the right to officially discriminate and be in your face about it, which, for the most part doesn’t matter since it is a distinction without a difference.

Upvote 0

chris4243

Advocate of Truth
Mar 6, 2011
✟2,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Statistically white males are much more likely to to be rich and not need scholarships compared to other groups. Therefore all white males are rich and don't need scholarships. And the average person has one ovary and one ball. No wait, stereotypes are dumb.

This scholarship is as racist as every other scholarship that is limited to a particular race or races. Since this scholarship fills in a gap (that may or may not exist -- in theory at least the non-racial scholarships might be enough) in race-based scholarships, it helps ensure that all races get treated more equally. I think. Even if not, hey free money for education, who can complain.

Upvote 0

allhart

Messianic believer
Feb 24, 2007
Turlock, CA
✟16,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
religious&reasonable said:
i really don't see why not, nor do I care. a poor person is poor, regardless of race. then again there shouldn't be any race or sex restrictions fo these things. it's just stupid.

The new minority of today is the individual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums