Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are four "focal" passages in the New Testament that give strong emphasis to the matter of "spiritual gifts." Within those four texts, the inspired writers provide us with six listings of spiritual gifts. No two of the lists are identical. The six lists are:

Romans 12:6-8
1. Prophesying
2. Serving
3. Teaching
4. Encouraging
5. Giving
6. Leadership
7. Mercy

Ephesians 4:11
1. Apostleship
2. Prophesying
3. Evangelizing
4. Pastoring
5. Teaching

I Peter 4:9-11
1. Hospitality
2. Speaking
3. Serving

I Cor. 12:7-10
1. Message of Wisdom
2. Message of Knowledge
3. Faith
4. Healing
5. Miracles
6. Prophesy
7. Discerning Spirits
8. Tongues

I Cor. 12:28
1. Apostles
2. Prophesy
3. Teachers
4. Miracles
5. Healing
6. Helps
7. Administration

I Cor. 12:29-30
1. Apostles
2. Prophets
3. Teachers
4. Miracles
5. Healing
6. Tongues
7. Interpretation

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I Cor. 12:7-10
1. Message of Wisdom
2. Message of Knowledge
3. Faith
4. Healing
5. Miracles
6. Prophesy
7. Discerning Spirits
8. Tongues

Gifts and their definitions:

[SIZE=+2]1. Apostleship[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Definition:[/SIZE]
The word "apostle" (apostolos) is from "stello" meaning "to send" and "apo" meaning "off from," thus "to send off from." In the context of spiritual gifts, "apostleship" refers to a very special group of individuals who were selected by Christ, and then sent out with a unique commission and divine credentials to act and speak authoritatively on His behalf.

[SIZE=+1]Additional Comments[/SIZE]
1. The Apostles were men who had been with the Lord from the time of John’s baptism until His ascension (Acts 1:21-22). The Apostle Paul was an exception to this rule, and thus in his correspondence to the Corinthian church, he refers to himself as an apostle who was "abnormally born" (I Corinthians 15:7-8).
2. They were eyewitnesses of the resurrection of Christ (Acts 1:22; I Corinthians 15:7-8).
3. They received a personal call from Christ (I Timothy 1:1-2).
4. Their work was first in time and importance because they laid the doctrinal foundation of the church for all time (Ephesians 2:19-20; Acts 2:42). Today, we continue to build upon that original foundation (Ephesians 3:2-6). We live in the time of the "superstructure" of the church (Woodell 18).
5. The Apostles were a select band. Their authority and position were unique, and they have no successors.
6. Signs, wonders, and miracles "mark" an Apostle (II Corinthians 12:12). 7. The word "apostle" is used at times in a general way to refer to anyone who is "sent out" on a mission (Hebrews 3:1). In this sense, anyone might be an apostle; however, this would not constitute the "gift of Apostleship."

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+2]2. Prophesying[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Definition[/SIZE]
The gift of prophesy enabled one to receive and speak forth truth which was given by direct revelation from God. (The gift of "speaking" in I Peter 4:11 appears to be a reference to "prophesy.") J. W. MacGorman writes:
The prophet does not declare his own message; he speaks for God. He introduces or climaxes what he has to say with the announcement, "Thus says the Lord." His words rest on divine, not human, authority. He never offers a message based on his latest research. He listens to God, and then speaks the message he has been told to deliver" (39-40).​
l. When an individual spoke as a "prophet," he/she was an inspired "mouthpiece" for God (Deuteronomy 18:17-22; Judges 6:7-10; I Samuel 3:19-21; Ezekiel 11:4-5; Ezekiel 13; Matthew 1:22; 2:15; Romans 16:25-26; Ephesians 3:3-5; Hebrews 1:1; II Peter 1:20-21).

2. Apostles and prophets laid the doctrinal foundation of the church for all time (Ephesians 2:19-20; 3:5).
3. The word "prophet" is frequently understood in a sense that is too limited. Some think of prophesy only in terms of predicting the future. The truth is that a prophet may function in one or all of the following ways:
  1. "For-Telling"--one who speaks "for" another--an inspired spokesperson "for" God.
  2. "Forth-Telling"--one who has an inspired message from God to deliver "forth" to others.
  3. "Fore-Telling"--one who is given a revelation from God that enables him/her to "fore-tell" a coming event (Acts 11,21).

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
3. Message of Wisdom

[SIZE=+1]A Word Of Clarification[/SIZE]
Note that in I Corinthians 12:7-10, Paul refers, not to "wisdom," but to "the message of wisdom." A careful distinction between the two is very helpful in avoiding confusion. The New Testament speaks of a "wisdom" that is available to every believer. However, a careful reading of I Corinthians 12:8 reveals that this "message of wisdom" was a special spiritual gift available to only a few! The context must help the Bible student determine whether a passage is speaking of the "wisdom" that is available for all believers, or the "message of wisdom" that was available to only a select few. For example, in James 1:5; 3:13-18, the writer is clearly referring to a "wisdom" that is available to all believers. However, in the immediate context of I Corinthians 12:7-10, the inspired writer refers to a special "wisdom"--a "message of wisdom"--that would be given only to certain individuals within the early church. Misunderstanding and confusion often occur when individuals fail to distinguish between "wisdom" (for every Christian), and the "message of wisdom" (only for a few--I Corinthians 12:8).

The gift of the "message (or word) of wisdom" served a revelatory purpose by enabling a few specially chosen individuals to receive the "hidden and secret wisdom of God" (I Corinthians 2:4-13; 4:1; II Peter 3:15-16). This spiritual gift would have very close kinship with that of prophesy.
1. The Apostles and Prophets would have exercised this gift frequently as they spoke and wrote the revealed wisdom of God. In II Peter 3:15-16, you should note that as a result of "the God-given wisdom" that Paul received, "Scripture" was produced. Once the New Testament revelation was completed, the purpose for the gift of "the message of wisdom" was fulfilled (I Corinthians 13:8-12).
2. Every Christian needs, and must ask for, the "wisdom" that is available for all Christians (James 1:5). However, in I Corinthians 12:8, it is clear that Paul is speaking of a special "wisdom" that would be given to only a few--"... to one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the..." 3. It has been this writer’s observation that in religious groups where individuals still claim to speak with the "message of wisdom," all is well until the so-called "message of wisdom" conflicts with certain individuals’ beliefs or preferences, or with firmly held denominational dogmas. At that point, the "prophet" is rejected, and in some cases, confusion and division occur. Can this be a "message of wisdom" from above (James 3:17)?

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+2]4. Message of Knowledge[/SIZE]

Much of what was said regarding "the message of wisdom" also applies to what should be understood regarding "the message of knowledge." Like "wisdom," there is in the New Testament a "knowledge" that is available to every Christian, and there was a "word of knowledge" that was a spiritual gift available only to a few who were specially chosen to receive it. A great deal of confusion and misunderstanding often result when no distinction is made between the two. The context must help the student determine which application to make. For example, in II Peter 1:5-6; 3:18, Peter refers to a "knowledge" that all Christians may receive. However, in I Corinthians 12:7-10, Paul refers to a "message (or word) of knowledge" that was available to "some" of the believers, but not all. Note the context of I Corinthians 13:2 where Paul makes reference to this special "knowledge" that enabled one to supernaturally "fathom all mysteries and all knowledge." This describes the "message of knowledge" that provided what was needed during that period of the church’s infancy when the New Testament was first being revealed and recorded.

The gift of the "message (or word) of knowledge" was a direct action of God upon the intellect of the recipient which enabled the individual to grasp, understand, and declare what was being revealed. In some cases, revelation was received by a person who was not able to decipher its meaning (I Peter 1:10-12). A "message of knowledge" would clarify a revelation that was not understood.
1. Does an incident in the life of Peter illustrate the "message of knowledge?" In Acts 2:21, Peter quotes a true prophetic statement to the effect that "everyone who calls on the Name of the Lord will be saved." Yet, it is clear that this was not a truth that Peter fully understood. For example, in Acts 10:9-29, when called to enter the house of a Gentile, what was Peter’s reaction? The same man who, on Pentecost, had been guided by the Spirit to say, "Everyone who calls on the Name of the Lord will be saved," was not in a frame of mind to declare the Lord’s Name in the house of Cornelius, a Gentile. However, a "message of knowledge" was given to Peter in the form of a vision. It was this "message of knowledge" that enabled Peter to see what his response to Cornelius’ request should be. In verses 28-29, Peter said, "... but GOD HAS SHOWN ME that I should not call any man impure or unclean." It appears that Peter’s vision was a "message of knowledge." (On another occasion, as recorded in Galatians 2:11-14, Peter stumbled again in this same area.)
2. The Apostles and Prophets would have exercised this gift frequently as they spoke and wrote a special "message of knowledge" (Ephesians 3:1-6). In this passage, how does Paul indicate that we can "understand" or "know" God’s revelation to mankind? 3. In many situations where individuals claim to possess this gift today, the result has been "a knowledge that puffs up rather than a love that builds up" (I Corinthians 8:1-2).

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+2]5. Discerning Spirits[/SIZE]

In all of the lists of spiritual gifts, this gift appears only once, in I Corinthians 12:7-10. In Unwrap Your Spiritual Gifts, Kenneth Gangel points out that there are three categories of discernment:

1. There is "natural discernment" which is available for every person--Christian or not. Sometimes we call it good judgment or "horse sense." It is the ability to make wise decisions by observing and understanding. Some people have more of this than others, but it can be learned.
2. There is "spiritual discernment" which comes to a believer as he/she grows in Christ (Romans 12:1-2; Ephesians 4:14-15; Hebrews 5:13-14). It is connected to a great extent with knowledge of the Bible, and with personal spiritual growth. It comes with a sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.
3. And, there is "gifted discernment" which the Holy Spirit has given to some believers as a special gift, enabling them to serve the church as watchmen and to identify by supernatural insight what is not truth (94-95).
Certainly, the quality of discernment as described above is needed and desired by all Christians. Yet, in the context of I Corinthians 12 where this spiritual gift appears, Paul is speaking of a special gift that was given only to certain individuals--"... to another distinguishing between spirits."
The gift of "distinguishing between spirits" was a miraculous ability that enabled one to accurately assess and judge inner motives, hidden errors, or corrupting doctrines. Good spirits and evil spirits were miraculously distinguished by those who had this gift.
1. Certainly, during the infancy of the church when Christians were not blessed with the completed written Word as we have it today, there was special concern about false teaching and evil tendencies that would have corrupting influences (I Timothy 4:1-5; I John 4:1-3). How were early Christians to distinguish between truth and error? The bestowal of this gift would have been extremely valuable to such a community of early believers.
2. This gift is illustrated in Acts 5:1-4 and Acts 13:6-10. In both cases, miraculous powers confirmed the severe judgments that were made when the spirits were discerned. Obviously, to have the "discernment of spirits" immediately followed by a miraculous act of God would have great evidential value. 3. When this gift is claimed today by individuals whose "discernment" is not confirmed by subsequent miracles, there is sure to be controversy and conflict. Imagine the reaction to a person standing among us and saying, "You must listen to me! God has given me discernment and insight that you do not have." Today, the "Word of God"--not the word of a person--is the basis by which we discern good from evil (Acts 17:11). Certainly we want to heed the warnings and admonitions of Christians among us who are wise, knowledgeable, and discerning; however, we heed their messages and respond to their call only to the extent that they direct us in a way that accords with the teaching of God’s Word!

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+2]6. Healing[/SIZE]

"Healing" was a miraculous spiritual gift that appears frequently and impressively on the pages of Scripture. It appears that this gift was used by God during the period of Christianity’s early formation and development. The gift enabled one to miraculously heal all types of diseases and deformities. When the gift was exercised, healing occurred immediately, visibly, and successfully even when the one being healed was without faith. The healing was undeniable (John 3:1-3). The quality of the healing performed by first century Christians is illustrated in Acts 3:1-4:22.
To say that "miraculous healing" is not occurring today is not to say that God is not healing and helping the sick today. We pray for, expect, and witness the work of God in "divine healing." However, this writer has never witnessed the "gift of healing" whereby individuals with observable infirmities are immediately, visibly, and undeniably restored to good health. A careful distinction should be made between "miraculous healing" and "divine healing." When the "gift of healing" was exercised, "miraculous healing" occurred.

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+2]7. Miracles[/SIZE]

In I Corinthians 12:10, Paul mentions the gift of "miraculous powers." This gift suggests a broad range of miraculous works.

The "gift of miracles" enabled a believer to call upon supernatural powers, laws, and means that are unknown and unknowable to mankind except by intervention and revelation from God (John 3:1-2). When such power has been exercised, there have been physical effects and phenomena that are observable, immediate, instantaneous, and beyond the realm of human experimentation and/or explanation.
1. Since Paul specifically mentioned "healing" as a separate gift, it is correct to understand this gift to be a reference to the ability to perform miracles which are distinct from "healing."
2. This gift is demonstrated in the ministry of Paul, himself, as reflected in Romans 15:17-19. 3. In many instances today, the word "miracle" is used very loosely to refer to many situations that may be very astonishing, yet not "miraculous" in a truly biblical sense. Each person would do well to reread the Gospel accounts and the book of Acts as a way of reviewing the quality and observable nature of the "miracles" that are recorded in the Bible (Acts 4:14).

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+2]8. Faith[/SIZE]

Everyone agrees that faith--trust, reliance, and dependency upon God--is a quality that is to be present and growing within the lives of all Christians. God’s message to man through the centuries has been, "Believe Me! Trust My promises and act upon them with total confidence!" Faith is an essential for every saved individual. Yet, it appears that the "gift of faith," referred to in I Corinthians 12:9, was a special "faith-gift" that was bestowed upon some of the believers, but not all. Note that Paul says, "...to another was given faith by the same Spirit." In the infant church of the first century, God saw fit to give some believers this special gift of "faith" as a means of providing divine strength and vision. Thus, the "gift of faith" (which was given to a select few) should be distinguished from the "faith" that every Christian experiences. This miraculously endowed faith, as well the faith that we experience and live by today, has been and is the key that enables God’s people to tap the tremendous resources of power that can "move mountains!".
The "gift of faith" was a special endowment from God that enabled some believers to receive and manifest a quality and caliber of faith that led to mountain-moving results (I Corinthians 13:2). This special gift, no doubt, was a tremendous blessing and motivation to many new believers within the early church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
9. Tongues

The practice of "tongue speaking" has been, and is, highly controversial in some circles. The subject must not be ignored or passed over lightly. Within every congregation, there is a need for an in-depth study of the nature and purpose of tongues as practiced in the first century church. The biblical passages where tongue-speaking is mentioned are few in number. Of the twenty-seven New Testament books, only three mention the practice--Mark, Acts, and I Corinthians.

Many today hold the view that the tongues manifested in Jerusalem on Pentecost (Acts 2) were very different from the tongues that were manifested by Christians in Corinth (I Corinthians 14). They contend that the tongues in Acts 2 were actual languages that could be understood whereas the tongues mentioned in I Corinthians 12 were ecstatic utterances or a type of heavenly language that could not be understood. It is the view of this writer that this is an incorrect position. Thus, the material in this study guide will not reflect this popular view. Instead, the content of these lessons will be based on the conviction that when legitimate tongue-speaking has occurred, there has always been the utterance of understandable or translatable languages.
The "gift of tongues" enabled one to miraculously speak in a language that previously had never been studied or known (Acts 2:1-13).
In The Dynamics Of Spiritual Gifts, William McRae points out:
The Greek term "glossa," translated "tongue" in I Corinthians 12 and 14, is consistently used both in the Greek translation of the Old Testament and the New Testament for a known language.​
The verb "diermeneuo," meaning "to interpret," is used only of translating one language to another (I Corinthians 14:5,13).

In Acts 2:4, they spoke with "other tongues." The word translated "other" (heteros) means "different tongues." It was different languages, then, in which they spoke. In Acts 2:6, each heard "in his own language." Here the word translated "language" is "dialectos" from which we derive our word dialect, a language. Therefore, the "tongue" of verse 4 is the "dialect" or "language" of verse 6. Paul uses the same word "glossa" in I Corinthians 14. He would hardly have used the same term if it were not the same thing--a known language (75).

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[SIZE=+2]10. Interpretation[/SIZE]

Presumably, if tongues are languages, one could speak in a certain language in a public assembly and have the utterance translated by someone who knew or had studied that language. Such would not be a "miraculous" interpretation. However, the gift of interpreting tongues should be understood as a "miraculous" interpretation empowered by the Holy Spirit. The "interpretation" was just as miraculous as the ability to speak in a language.

The "gift of interpretation" was the power or ability to fully comprehend the meaning of a language never before studied. It was this gift that made the gift of tongues serviceable to the believing community.
1. "Tongues" and the "interpretation of tongues" are unique among the spiritual gifts in that the public exercise of one gift was dependent on the public exercise of the other. When "tongues" were spoken, either the tongue-speaker or another was to provide the interpretation (I Corinthians 14:5, 13, 27-28; 12:10,30). Where the "gift of interpretation" was not present, "tongues" were not to be exercised. Thus, the clear purpose for the gifts of "tongues" and "interpretation of tongues" was the edification of the church. 2. This means that the individual who knew that he/she had the gift of "tongues" would have needed to determine in advance of an assembly whether or not one with the gift of interpretation was present unless he/she also had the ability to interpret. Also, it is interesting to note that the "gift of interpretation" was a gift for which a believer could pray (I Corinthians 14:13). Clearly, the motive behind such a prayer would be the edification of the Body.

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Natural talents and personality traits are natural human resources which all of us have. These are not the same as spiritual gifts which are given by sovereign choice, by the Holy Spirit, at the time we become Christians. These are supernatural enablements so that we may serve God more effectively in the world and in the church. Every Christian has at least one spiritual gift, many are given more than one gift. All Christians are called to the work of the ministry and distinctions between "clergy" and "laity" are foreign to the New Testament.
Both spiritual gifts and natural talents must be employed in the power of the Holy Spirit and not in the self-energy of the flesh in order to please God and bring positive results.
The various spiritual gifts are listed in Romans 12, Ephesians 4, I Corinthians 13-15, and elsewhere. Commentators differ as to whether the list totals 22, or fewer, gifts. The gifts are divided into (1) teaching/leadership gifts, (2) service gifts, and (3) sign gifts given to authenticate the work of apostles and prophets, particularly at the beginning of a new age (dispensation) when God does something new and different in the world. Here is a rather complete list:
1. Apostle (apostolos). The Greek word means "one sent forth" (on an official errand), i.e., an ambassador. In addition to the twelve original disciples who became apostles, Paul was added to the list of those commissioned by God to lay the foundations of the Christian church and impart a full body of truth which would guide Christian faith and conduct. There were also other apostles, for example, Barnabas, Acts 14:4,14; Andronicus and Junia, Romans 16:7, 2 Corinthians 8:23; Philippians 2:25. The need for apostles diminished as the church became established. If there are any apostles today they might be found among pioneer missionaries who establish churches in foreign lands where the gospel has not yet been proclaimed. Christians today are under apostolic authority, however there is no Biblical reason to believe in the so-called apostolic succession of authority in the church. Ray Stedman likens the apostles in the Body of Christ to the skeleton and musculature of the human body.
2. Prophet, prophecy. (prophetes), lit: "to speak forth," to proclaim the mind and counsel of God, i.e., the gift of preaching. Differs from pastor-teacher in scope. Ray Stedman compares the role of the NT prophet to the nervous system of the body. NT prophets do not make predictions about the future as the OT prophets did, but gather their message from the Scriptures. Nor is God giving the church new revelation through such individuals today. The gift of prophecy is likewise not for giving secret messages from God to individuals in the church. Prophets vigorously stimulate and challenge the Body of Christ, pastor-teachers patiently feed the sheep and care for their needs. Prophets are to edify, exhort and console, (see 1 Cor. 14:3).
3. Evangelist, evangelism. (evangelistes) from eu = well, plus angelos = messenger. The gift of bringing the good news of God to unbelievers individually and in groups. The content of the message is outlined in I Cor. 15. Ray Stedman compares this gift to the digestive apparatus of the human body which has the ability to take material which is not a part of the body and transform it into parts of the body. Evangelists are also to teach other believers how to lead people to the Lord Jesus. Timothy evidently did not have this gift but Paul nevertheless urged him to "do the work of an evangelist".
4. Pastor-teacher (poimenes kai didaskalos), shepherd and teacher. Ray Stedman describes this gift as analogous to the circulatory system of the human body which "cleanses and feeds" the members of the body. Ray Stedman once said he believed this was a this is a common gift, given to perhaps a third of Christians.
5. Administration. (kubernesis = government). To pilot, guide, or steer as one steers a ship. To preside over the assembly and guide the proceedings. In order to preserve order in Christian meetings the person in charge should know how to direct the course of events towards a spiritual goal as led by the Spirit.
6. Leadership, (proistemi) "to stand before" that is attend to with care and diligence, as the head of a family does. Perhaps this also includes setting the pace, imparting direction and goals in a ministry since sheep are lazy and helpless and prone to wander off course. Most people like to follow a good leader. God's leaders are not only visionary they lead by serving.
7. Faith. (pistis), Faith-vision: the ability to believe God for new direction and power---visionary faith that sets in motion events others can join in and follow. All Christians have some faith because "without faith it is impossible to please God." Also anyone's faith grows as it is exercised. However there is also a gift of "faith-vision" which pioneers new ministries, encourages others and helps them to grow in faith. "Without a vision the people perish" (Proverbs 29:18).
8. Knowledge. (logos gnoseos), lit: "word of knowledge," systematic understanding of truth in broad, sweeping terms so that others may be trained and instructed. Not supernatural utterances from God. All Christians have some knowledge, but there is also a gift of knowledge given to some so they may teach and edify the Body. The ability to sum up lots of information or pieces of knowledge so as to give a clear concise overview.
9. Wisdom (logos sophias), lit: "word of wisdom." The ability to make wise choices and decisions at critical forks in the road. Very valuable to an individual or a group when it needs to choose but has no specifically clear information on the best choice. All Christians can grow in wisdom as they make a series of wise choices over a life-time, however there is also a gift of wisdom given to some in the Body of Christ.
10. Exhortation, encouragement. (paraklesis), to call alongside, comfort, strengthen, to counsel, exhort, bring aid, admonish. The same Greek word describes the Holy Spirit's role in our lives.
11. Discernment (of spirits) (diakriseis pneumaton), is a gift to judge or evaluate the spirits so as to distinguish whether something is from God or from an evil source. Similar to the natural talent of intuition but of course more reliable and consistent.
12. Ministering (diakonia), to serve (hence our word deacons). A wide variety of activities one performs with the help of God to comfort, encourage, support and build up God's people. Also, (huperetes), an under-rower or servant as distinguished from an ordinary seaman on a Roman galley.
13. Service (helps) (antilempsis), "to lay hold of (and support)", especially the weak and needy. To minister to others and meet their needs.
14. Giving, (metadidomi), is the gift of sharing and imparting, not only money but other resources. All Christians should learn to give generously since "God loves a 'hilarious' giver", however certain individuals are given the gift of giving so they can act as stewards over material resources in the Body of Christ.
15. Tongues (that is, "kinds of languages") (gene glossan). The ability to speak in other languages not previously learned, but known languages to men. The gift is for the purpose of praising God. It must be directed to God, not to be used to pass a message from one member to another or from one member to the congregation. Not a means of communication from the Lord to the flock. A sign to Israel especially to mark the beginning of a new dispensation. A sign to unbelievers.
16. Interpretation of Tongues. The ability to translate unknown languages so as to edify and instruct others regarding what has been said.
17. Miracles. (energemata dunameon) The ability to raise men from the dead, call fire down from heaven and otherwise present signs that authenticate the power of God in certain situations.
18. Healing(s). (charismata iamaton) (plural). Ability to heal at the physical, emotional and spiritual levels. The word is plural in Greek, probably suggesting that the ability to heal refers to all three levels of man. Today, God sometimes heals physically, but more often emotionally and spiritually. A valuable gift for a counselor.
19. Mercy (eleos) An ability to touch inwardly with compassion. To be exercised with "cheerfulness".
20. Hospitality. (philoxenia), lit: "love of strangers." May not be a spiritual gift but definitely a Christian virtue. Those who believe this is a separate gift also hold that all believers are to practice hospitality.

Note: A Christian's service involves the entire Trinity.
  1. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are the sovereign choice of the Holy Spirit.
  2. The place of our service is chosen by the Son of God, and
  3. the workings, or style, of our ministry is determined by the Father.
This is made clear by the following passage:
"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord (Jesus Christ); and there are varieties of working, but it is the same God (the Father) who inspires them all in every one. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. (1 Cor. 12:5-7).
Some Relevant Scriptures

"And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for (unto) the work of ministry, for (unto) building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ; so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the cunning of men, by their craftiness in deceitful wiles. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every joint with which it is supplied, when each part is working properly, makes bodily growth and upbuilds itself in love. (Ephesians 4:11-16).
"To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are inspired by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as He wills. For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. (1 Cor. 12:8-12)
"Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? (1 Cor. 12:27-30)
"For as in one body we have many members, and all the members do not have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; he who teaches, in his teaching; he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who contributes, in liberality; he who gives aid, with zeal; he who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness". (Romans 12:4-8) "The end of all things is at hand; therefore keep sane and sober for your prayers. Above all hold unfailing your love for one another, since love covers a multitude of sins. Practice hospitality ungrudgingly to one another. As each has received a gift, employ it for one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who utters oracles of God; whoever renders service, as one who renders it by the strength which God supplies; in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." (1 Peter 4:7-11)

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  1. Every Christian has at least one Spiritual Gift ( 1 Peter 4:10 )
  2. No Christian has all the gifts ( 1 Corinthians 12:28-30 )
  3. We cannot choose our gifts; God does that job ( 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 )
  4. There is no gift that every Christian possesses ( 1 Corinthians 12:29-30 )
  5. Believers will account to the Lord for how they use their gifts ( 1 Peter 4:10 )
  6. Spiritual Gifts indicate God’s call and purpose for a Christian’s life ( Romans 12:2-8 )
  7. Gifts used without love do not accomplish God’s intended purposes ( 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 )
  8. Spiritual Gifts are for the common good to build up the Body ( 1 Corinthians 12:27 )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The story begins when Jesus is dining at Simon's house. Simon is a well-respected and highly educated church leader in the city of Capernaum. He is having this party when this sinful woman from the street walks in, goes over to where Jesus is reclining, washes his feet with her tears, wipes them with her hair and anoints them with expensive perfume. Meanwhile Simon is getting angry and thinks to himself, "Just look at her....groveling at Jesus' feet. Kissing them, no less! Why, if Jesus were who he says he is, he would have nothing to do with this women". Jesus heard what he was thinking and made his response in Luke 7:40-47, and he use this example:

"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him 500 pieces of silver and the other 50 pieces. Neither of them could pay him back, so he canceled the debt of both. Now which one of them will love more"....Simon replies that the one who had to biggest debt cancelled.

The woman, whose sins were many, had been forgiven, so she showed Jesus much love, but a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.

Simon invites Jesus to his house, but is rather rude to him and doesn't make him feel welcome. However, the woman does everything that Simon doesn't. Lucado uses the illustration of a hooker in a tight dress showing up at the parsonage during the pastor's Christmas party....heads turn, faces blush, and gasps can be heard. However, people's opinions didn't matter to her because she came to see Jesus and not them. Her every movement was measured and meaningful.

Simon was a well-respected church leader in Capernaum and you would expect him to show such love, but he didn't. Instead he was harsh and cold. You would expect this woman on the other hand to stay away from Jesus, but she couldn't resist him. Simon's love was limited, but hers was extravagant. The one treasure that she desired more than Simon did was God's love.

She came thirsty from the guilt and regret she was living with and Jesus hands her the "goblet of grace" and she eagarly gulps it down like a parched pilgrim. She drinks until the mercy flows down her chin and to her neck and chest. She drinks until every inch of her soul is quenched.

Simon on the other hand is thirsty, but doesn't know it. People like him don't need grace; they analyze it. They don't request mercy; they debate it and prorate it. It wasn't that Simon couldn't be forgiven but he never asked to be.

While she drinks up, he puffs up. While she has plenty of love to give, he has no love to offer. Why? "A person who is forgiven little shows only a little love"- Luke 7:47. We can't give what we've never received. If we've never received love, how can we love others? We try as hard as we can by our will, but that can only last for so long. The one step that we are missing is not love towards them but toward him. You can only give love by first receiving it. "We love, because he first loved us." (1 John 4:19 NASB)

What is our strategy for treating a troubled relationship? Try harder.

My spouse needs my forgiveness? I don't know how, but I'm going to give it; I don't care how much it hurts, I'm going to be nice to that bum; I'm supposed to love my neighbor? Okay. By golly, I will; we're going to love if it kills us! And it may do just that.

Could it be that we are missing a step? Could it be that the first step of love is not toward them but towards him? Could it be that the secret to loving is receiving? You give love by first receiving it. "We love, because he first loved us" (1 John 4:19 NASB).

Long to be more loving? Begin by accepting your place as a dearly loved child. "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us" - Eph. 5:1-2 NIV

Want to learn to forgive? Then consider how you've been forgiven. - Eph. 4:32
Need more patience? Drink from the patience of God - 2 Peter 3:9. Is generosity an elusive virtue? Then consider how generous God has been with you (Rom. 5:8). Having trouble putting up with ungrateful relatives or cranky neighbors? God puts up with you when you act the same. "He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked" (Luke 6:35 NIV).

Can't we love like this?

Not without God's help we can't. We may succeed for a time, but if we haven't received these things ourselves, how can we give them to others? Apart from God, "the heart is deceitful above all things" (Jer. 17:9 NIV). A marriage-saving love is not within us. A friendship-preserving devotion cannot be found in our hearts. We need help from an outside source...a transfusion. Would we love as God loves? Then we start by receiving God's love.

Instructing people to love without telling them they are loved is like telling them to write a check without making a deposit in their accounts. No wonder so many relationships are overdrawn...hearts have insufficient love. God makes the deposit before he tells us to write the check. First, the deposit:

"God showed how much he loved us by sending his only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is a real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins" - 1 John 4:9-10.

Then, having made such an outrageous, eye-opening deposit. John calls on you and me to pull out the checkbook: "Dear friends, since God loves us that much, we surely ought to love each other" (1 John 4:11)

The secret to loving is living loved. This is the forgotten first step in relationships. "May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love (Eph. 3:17). As a tree draws nutrients from the soil, we draw nourishment from the Father. John urges us to "rely on the love God has for us" (1 John 4:16). He alone is the power source.

Many people tell us to love. Only God gives us the power to do so.

We know what God wants us to do. "This is what God commands:...that we love each other" (1 John 3:23). How can we? By living loved. Receive love first, love second. More than one person has hailed 1 Cor. 13 as the finest chapter in the Bible on the topic of love, and no verses get to the heart like verses 4-8.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. (NIV)

Several years ago, someone challenged me to replace the word love in this passage with my name. I did and became a liar. "Max is patient, Max is kind. Max does not envy, he does not boast, he is not proud..." That's enough for me...those words are false. I am not patient, I am not kind...we set up standards we can not meet. No one can, except Christ. Does not the passage not describe the measureless love of God? Let's insert Christ's name in place of the word love, and see if it rings true:

Jesus is patient, Jesus is kind. Jesus does not envy, he does not boast, he is not proud. Jesus is not rude, he is not self-seeking, he is not easily angered, he keeps no record of wrongs. Jesus does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Jesus always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Jesus never fails.

Rather than let this scripture remind us of a love we cannot produce, let it remind us of a love we cannot resist--God's love.

Many are so thirsty for this type of love. Those who should have loved you didn't. Those who could have loved didn't. You were left at the hospital. Left at the altar. Left with a broken heart. Left with your question "Does anybody love me?"

God loves you. Personally. Powerfully. Passionately. Others have promised and failed. But God has promised and succeeded. He loves you with an unfailing love. And his love--if you will let it--can fill you and leave you with a love worth giving.

So come. Come thirsty and drink deeply.

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fountain Of Love

You, O Lord are a Fountain of Love,
You pour Your love on me.
You fill me up till I overflow,
With a love that sets me free.
It flows right through me, steady and strong,
Satisfying my soul.
It runs like water, refreshing and pure,
Making me feel so whole.

There's never a time when I don't feel,
The love You freely give.
Forever it goes on and on,
Through all the days I live.
Heartaches come and shake up my world,
But Your love stays so strong.
You wrap Your arms around my soul,
And love me on and on.

I don't deserve this awesome love,
Raining down on me.
For I don't always seek You Lord,
The way that I should be.
But on those days when I feel lost,
I feel love even more.
For you O Lord are a Fountain of Love,
Flowing forevermore.

By Nancy Burr

Upvote 0

littleredkiss484

Follower of Christ
Apr 11, 2006
Michigan
✟306,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Treasure

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]The cheerful girl with bouncy golden curls was almost five. Waiting with her mother at the checkout stand, she saw them: a circle of glistening white pearls in a pink foil box. "Oh please, Mommy. Can I have them? Please, Mommy, please!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]Quickly the mother checked the back of the foil box and then looked back into the pleading blue eyes of her little girl's upturned face. "A dollar ninety-five. That's almost $2. If you really want them, I'll think of some extra chores for you and in no time you can save enough money to buy them yourself. Your birthday's only a week away and you might get another crisp dollar bill from Grandma."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]As soon as Jenny got home, she emptied her piggy bank and counted 17 pennies. After dinner, she did more than her share of chores and she went to the neighbor and asked Mrs. McJames if she could pick dandelions for ten cents. On her birthday, Grandma did give her another new dollar bill and at last she had enough money to buy the necklace.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]Jenny loved her pearls. They made her feel dressed up and grown up. She wore them everywhere--Sunday School, kindergarten, even to bed. The only time she took them off was when she went swimming or had to take a bubble bath. Mother said if they got wet, they might turn her neck green.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]Jenny had a very loving Daddy and every night when she was ready for bed, he would stop whatever he was doing and come upstairs to read her a story. One night, when he finished the story, he asked Jenny, "Do you love me?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"Oh, yes, Daddy. You know that I love you."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"Then give me your pearls."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"Oh, Daddy, not my pearls. But you can have Princess--the white horse from my collection. The one with the pink tail. Remember, Daddy? The one you gave me? She's my favorite."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"That's okay, Honey. Daddy loves you. Good night." And he brushed her cheek with a kiss.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]About a week later, after the story time, Jenny's daddy asked again, "Do you love me?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"Daddy, you know I love you."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"Then give me your pearls."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"Oh, Daddy, not my pearls. But you can have my baby doll. The brand new one I got for my birthday. She is so beautiful and you can have the yellow blanket that matches her sleeper."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"That's okay. Sleep well. God bless you, little one. Daddy loves you." And as always, he brushed her cheek with a gentle kiss.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]A few nights later when her daddy came in, Jenny was sitting on her bed with her legs crossed Indian-style. As he came close, he noticed her chin was trembling and one silent tear rolled down her cheek.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]"What is it, Jenny? What's the matter?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]Jenny didn't say anything but lifted her little hand up to her daddy. And when she opened it, there was her little pearl necklace. With a little quiver, she finally said, "Here, Daddy. It's for you." [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]With tears gathering in his own eyes, Jenny's kind daddy reached out with one hand to take the dime-store necklace, and with the other he reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet case with a strand of genuine pearls and gave them to Jenny. He had them all the time. He was just waiting for her to give up the dime-store stuff so he could give her genuine treasure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]Sometimes we try so hard to hang to the cheap material objects of this world. If we were to just realize that our Father has so much more in store for us and all we have to do is trust and follow Him. So how much longer do you want to hang on to your dime-store pearls?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva, sans serif]Author Unknown[/FONT]

Upvote 0