Testing waters

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Not sure if I am allowed to speak since I am from that demographic over 50. Lol. I don’t mInd a Younger demographic influence but an influence that embraces tradition and faith minus the goofiness I have seen from some of these YouTube types Trying to feign being hip. also I prefer more those who have been in the faith a lot of years.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm curious what you guys think if EWTN added shows from popular Catholic podcasters like Timothy Flanders, Eric Sammons, Brian Holdsworth, etc. Their podcast shows tend to focus on developments coming out of the Vatican and to various extents both secular and ecclesiastic developments in the US and abroad. If any of these guys were given shows kind of like Tucker Carlson would do you think Catholics under 40-50 would watch?
I was wondering about something this morning ...

If EWTN were to decide to go with some (Catholic) "Tucker Carlson" type programming ("focusing on developments coming out of the Vatican", etc), do you think this might potentially cause some friction in the relationship between EWTN and the Vatican?

I ask only because it seems I've read things implying that sometimes the Vatican has been concerned about Raymond Arroyo's show.

I like how Raymond hits current concerns 'head on", I like the Papal Posse segments, but I'm wondering if more of his kind of programming might become cause for concern with persons at the Vatican?

(No need to respond, if not comfortable doing so. But just wondering if this might be another reason why the network has been slow to incorporate more 'fiery' programming into the schedule?)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If EWTN were to decide to go with some (Catholic) "Tucker Carlson" type programming ("focusing on developments coming out of the Vatican", etc), do you think this might potentially cause some friction in the relationship between EWTN and the Vatican?

I ask only because it seems I've read things implying that sometimes the Vatican has been concerned about Raymond Arroyo's show.

I like how Raymond hits current concerns 'head on", I like the Papal Posse segments, but I'm wondering if more of his kind of programming might become cause for concern with persons at the Vatican?

(No need to respond, if not comfortable doing so. But just wondering if this might be another reason why the network has been slow to incorporate more 'fiery' programming into the schedule?)
I think there is already friction between EWTN and the Vatican

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought of another reason to consider bringing newer hosts/commentators to EWTN:
Some of the current hosts on EWTN are themselves getting older!

I got to thinking about this recently when I saw EWTN Vatican Insider Joan Lewis on a program.
And then I see where Marcus Grodi has apparently successfully transitioned his son into the host position on Journey Home.
Others are getting older, too ...

Some of us do not like 'change' so much, but I do think it is good, perhaps even wise, to plan abit ahead for when the time comes to
'pass the baton' onto the next generation ...

Indeed! Some of the show hosts are nearing retirement age so it would be prudent to bring in new blood and inject some new types of content and visual styles into the daily lineup.

Yes I think it would cause friction with the Vatican. In a way it already has cause Raymond Arroyo challenges the hierarchy in a lot of ways and Pope Francis slandered us last year saying our (Arroyos) criticism of him is a "work of evil".

But we need people who are going to be realistic about the terrible things happening in the Church right now. The names I mentioned before would do that, but not in a way that would make people want to leave the Church. Instead they'd inspire Catholics to fight for the Church. Tim Gordon he probably focuses more on the corruption than any other name on that list but he always admonishes his audience to "not leave the barque of Peter."

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Michael Knowles.
He's got teeth. He's not controversial as anything against the Church that I have seen.

BUT THIS... this intrigued me because so many young uns.

And another woman who REverted... I think I posted this in here before. She also has a podcast.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I haven't listened to too many Michael Knowles...

As far as 'word needs out regarding the Pope'. I suggest research, talking to Vatican officials and I know folks don't like this advice, but prayers.
The info coming to America is often [that I have seen] bent to sharpen liberal knifes, not to knock the Pope down but a backended way of promoting liberal progressiveness.

So right, I posted in another link how the Pope was in session with his actual Dicastery that we MUST keep the teachings the same.
And yet, I'm sad to see this, most news coming here is pitchfork and tarring flavor.

What I'm saying is, stay away from sensationalism, and oft repeated gossip. YOUR soul is on the line as much as anyone elses. If the news is in erring and we're attacking the Vatican, are we doing better than Luther?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not sure if I am allowed to speak since I am from that demographic over 50. Lol. I don’t mInd a Younger demographic influence but an influence that embraces tradition and faith minus the goofiness I have seen from some of these YouTube types Trying to feign being hip. also I prefer more those who have been in the faith a lot of years.
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm going for. And of course you can contribute, I like your input. I didn't mean to be ageist, this was just what I was told from another person at the network that the shotcallers are in that age group and they're being pretty stubborn when it comes to new content.

I haven't listened to too many Michael Knowles...

As far as 'word needs out regarding the Pope'. I suggest research, talking to Vatican officials and I know folks don't like this advice, but prayers.
The info coming to America is often [that I have seen] bent to sharpen liberal knifes, not to knock the Pope down but a backended way of promoting liberal progressiveness.

So right, I posted in another link how the Pope was in session with his actual Dicastery that we MUST keep the teachings the same.
And yet, I'm sad to see this, most news coming here is pitchfork and tarring flavor.

What I'm saying is, stay away from sensationalism, and oft repeated gossip. YOUR soul is on the line as much as anyone elses. If the news is in erring and we're attacking the Vatican, are we doing better than Luther?
You're exactly right. I mean, I like to think that our reporters on the ground in Rome are reliable and accurate, especially cause most of them aren't American so they don't really have a reason to skew things based on our political spectrum. But with that being said you never know how things might really be compared to how they're reported, especially when the Bidens and Pelosis of the world get their mitts on things and run with it.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's exactly the sort of thing I'm going for. And of course you can contribute, I like your input. I didn't mean to be ageist, this was just what I was told from another person at the network that the shotcallers are in that age group and they're being pretty stubborn when it comes to new content.

You're exactly right. I mean, I like to think that our reporters on the ground in Rome are reliable and accurate, especially cause most of them aren't American so they don't really have a reason to skew things based on our political spectrum. But with that being said you never know how things might really be compared to how they're reported, especially when the Bidens and Pelosis of the world get their mitts on things and run with it.
Yes, indeed.

I remember the 'MEETING' Biden alleged he had with the Pope - or rather the media reported that as Biden being pro choice and yet continued to receive Communion, it was reported the Pope was ok with it.

BUT the truth was, Biden only shook hands in public with 'videos rolling' making it appear they were meeting but the Pope had other engagements and Biden and him went separate ways after the official courtesies.

Biden had no intention of meeting because well.... we know it would not be agreeable to his stances.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I remember the 'MEETING' Biden alleged he had with the Pope - or rather the media reported that as Biden being pro choice and yet continued to receive Communion, it was reported the Pope was ok with it.
Exactly what I was thinking of, Biden just kept claiming the Pope said he was "ok" but there was never any confirmation from the Vatican that he could continue receiving communion. Maybe vague answers at best but not much of anything.

And if he received Holy Communion at the Vatican it was likely because the priests were actually unaware of his views and just assumed he was in good standing. Otherwise I doubt he tried to receive just because he knew he'd get publicly slapped down and didn't want proof contradicting his narrative.

• Agree
Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Fr. Gerald Murray needs a show of his own, as he speaks the truth unapologetically. Mitch Pawca is very knowledgeable and can explain things in a way that's easy to understand.

The best way to reach young people is to speak the truth without sugar coating it.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I like Raymond Arroyo bringing up controversy BUT I don't think the whole network should go that way. Not even mostly. Not even half. Almost none. Some, but not much.
There is something about the way Raymond and often his guests go about it that rubs me the wrong way. I think others do it better, Ralph Martin being one. I agree that issues within the Church shouldn't be ignored, and I can't tell you exactly what about his program rubs me wrong. I just know that it does.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In general I listen to the radio programming much more than watch, and I like several of those programs -- Catholic Answers, Teresa Tomeo, Al Kresta, Fr. Wade Menezes, David Anders, Johnnette Williams, Father Mitch, Jerry and Debbie all come to mind. The only program I watch regularly is The Journey Home. I know some of those I mention are on TV as well, I just have more time to listen than to watch I guess.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I love to watch Bishop Fulton Sheen.
[reruns obviously] but he was so awesome.

Maybe add some color to him and the kids won't know. :D

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is something about the way Raymond and often his guests go about it that rubs me the wrong way. I think others do it better, Ralph Martin being one. I agree that issues within the Church shouldn't be ignored, and I can't tell you exactly what about his program rubs me wrong. I just know that it does.
He isn't someone who would attract youth, maybe?
He is interesting. He is right on.

So I was thinking earlier... seems to be that 'time' where folks run off to become prodigal children.
I think we ought to pray over our youth and wait for their returns.
And making it intriguing as Harry Potter books would appear to be the win.

:scratch:
But how?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums