• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Testing Blood Sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for 6 years and using a pump for 4 and half (or so). When I was first a diabetic I did great at testing my blood sugar, but as time went on and I got my pump, I got worse and worse - until my hbA1c was 9.3 in december. I've gotten in down to 7.9, but I really need to start testing my blood sugar. I want to, I just never remember.

ANy tips on ways to remember to test?

lillybug0514

Senior Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
Texas
✟10,411.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nienor said:
I've been a Type 1 Diabetic for 6 years and using a pump for 4 and half (or so). When I was first a diabetic I did great at testing my blood sugar, but as time went on and I got my pump, I got worse and worse - until my hbA1c was 9.3 in december. I've gotten in down to 7.9, but I really need to start testing my blood sugar. I want to, I just never remember.

No but if you do find a way to remember let me know.. I dont test at all except when I feel bad.... :eek:

Upvote 0

GritsnGrace

Legend
Sep 23, 2002
Louisiana
Visit site
✟38,028.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Darkhorse said:
How about testing before every meal? Just don't take a bite until you test. :)

That would be great, except that I can't afford to use that many strips. They tend to get expensive. :eek: I try to test at least in the mornings. If it is at least close to normal, I am happy.

Upvote 0

firefly0434

Jun 5, 2006
Holiday,Florida
✟15,275.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mamabear56 said:
That would be great, except that I can't afford to use that many strips. They tend to get expensive. :eek: I try to test at least in the mornings. If it is at least close to normal, I am happy.
Hey Mama if you cant afford the strips check out the diabetic testing supply company MP Totalcare i used to work there and they are really great at working with people to help get the supplies they need.As far as the trying to remember to test buy a watch with an alarm and set it to go off when you would like to test each day.

Upvote 0

Tychicum

May 4, 2006
✟8,592.00
Faith
Protestant
Nienor said:
Visit the amputation ward on any hospital and ask to talk to the T1s who have recently gone under the knife ...

Maybe ... if that isn't your thing ... swing around and visit the ward for those learning to deal with blindness.

Upvote 0

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have learned that I must test before every meal and 1,5 - 2 hours after a meal.What I have understand on Type 1 you maybe need to test one in the night too if you have high in the morning.

I saw you haven`t afford to make so much.Can not the welfare, insure help you.You can even ask your Diabetes
organization ( I think) what you can do.

Something that have helped me to lower my blood suger is have lemon in for example your dinner drink lemon water instead for water.Try even to nuts, vineager.

When I was in diabetesschool one of type 1 people told me that when she had a low bloodsuger she took dark chocolate (70%) (we was only allowed to have that kind of choclolate and sweet) because she thought that could help her to get higher but she saw that was the opposite (She get lower) That can maybe help you too ;)

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Tychicum said:
Visit the amputation ward on any hospital and ask to talk to the T1s who have recently gone under the knife ...

Maybe ... if that isn't your thing ... swing around and visit the ward for those learning to deal with blindness.

Yeah...I don't think I really want to do that....though my great uncle went blind from not testing his sugar.

I know when I should test and all that, my problem is remembering TO test...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lillybug0514

Senior Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
Texas
✟10,411.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nienor said:
Yeah...I don't think I really want to do that....though my great uncle went blind from not testing his sugar.

I know when I should test and all that, my problem is remembering TO test...
Try leaving your meter out where it is visible, or close to where you eat, that might help a little.

Upvote 0

mzbuzbuz

Jun 4, 2006
Missoula MT
✟15,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nienor said:

I have the same problem not remembering my to test my blood sugars. I was at the doctors yesterday and she asked how they were running, I said I have no idea I keep forgetting. I am going to try putting a note by my coffee since that is the first thing I go for in the morning. Good Luck

Upvote 0

Bethshaya

Argh!
Feb 21, 2005
Connecticut, USA
✟8,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I have the same problem not remembering my to test my blood sugars. I was at the doctors yesterday and she asked how they were running, I said I have no idea I keep forgetting. I am going to try putting a note by my coffee since that is the first thing I go for in the morning. Good Luck

I am newly diagnosed and I do that. I dont take a sip of coffee until I test.

I am also journaling everything I eat to see how it effects my sugar. So I am testing when I wake up, 1.5 hrs after breakfast, right before lunch, 2 hrs after lunch and before dinner. I found a great log book that has space to put my numbers and the time. Its called DietMinder and can be found at Amazon.

Its been a huge help to show me that it isnt just sugary things that effect the level.

I figure, I will remember to test if it is that important to me. You may want to look at the reasons why you forget. Is it denial? Your health should be number one on your to do list.

At some point, you might be wondering why you didnt do it when it was such a small inconvience. Imagine the inconvienence it will be to be in a wheelchair, or be walking around with a cane. It might get put up higher on your to do list if you keep that in your thoughts.

Nothing can really help you remember if you dont want to remember.

Try putting a picture or something that reminds you on your refridge, or even at your desk. It doesnt have to be a handwritten note, it can even be scripture, or a picture of an item that reminds you. If you use a paper planner, try marking your days with a spot for your number and time so that you can keep a record. If you use Outlook or Lotus Notes, try putting a reminder so it pops up during your work day. Then put your number as an event on the day. Then you can sync to a palm or PPC if you have one. There are also lots of programs for PDAs too to help you track.
But then you cant ignore the reminder

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.