Tennessee Law Signed Allowing Parents to Excuse Students From Lessons With LGBTQ+ Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
"Tennessee’s governor has signed a bill into law requiring schools to give parents a 30-day notice about any lessons that deal with sexual orientation or gender identity and allow the parents to opt their children out of that instruction."

--

The bill seems to be quite vague about what 'dealing with sexual orientation' means. It does have exemptions for:

(1) Responding to a question from a student during class regarding sexual orientation or gender identity as it relates to any topic of instruction; or

(2) Referring to the sexual orientation or gender identity of any historic person, group, or public figure, where the referral provides necessary context in relation to a topic of instruction.

But doesn't actually describe what is not exempt from this advance parental notification.

It doesn't seem to me that knowing that Oscar Wilde or Alan Turing were gay provides any particular context to the topics of literature or history or computer science, so presumably teachers/schools would have to send these messages out if they wanted to say that. I imagine that saying the Harvey Milk was gay would provide necessary context, but everything else about that lesson would presumably fall afoul of the law.

Given the vagueness of the law, it seems apparent that it's simply meant to have a chilling effect on teachers in their classrooms.

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Tennessee’s governor has signed a bill into law requiring schools to give parents a 30-day notice about any lessons that deal with sexual orientation or gender identity and allow the parents to opt their children out of that instruction."

--

The bill seems to be quite vague about what 'dealing with sexual orientation' means. It does have exemptions for:

(1) Responding to a question from a student during class regarding sexual orientation or gender identity as it relates to any topic of instruction; or

(2) Referring to the sexual orientation or gender identity of any historic person, group, or public figure, where the referral provides necessary context in relation to a topic of instruction.

But doesn't actually describe what is not exempt from this advance parental notification.

It doesn't seem to me that knowing that Oscar Wilde or Alan Turing were gay provides any particular context to the topics of literature or history or computer science, so presumably teachers/schools would have to send these messages out if they wanted to say that. I imagine that saying the Harvey Milk was gay would provide necessary context, but everything else about that lesson would presumably fall afoul of the law.

Given the vagueness of the law, it seems apparent that it's simply meant to have a chilling effect on teachers in their classrooms.
Sounds like a good law. Maybe teachers can direct more time teaching reading, writing, and math etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

--

What's vague about it?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think students, in protest, will start asking about sexual orientation for all their school lessons.

Better they learn nothing than have their teachers dictate lesson plans.

This is a bizarre reaction from the group that was all for safe spaces and trigger warnings oh so recently....

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

--

That's pretty cool. Always good to see a win for freedom!

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Just to note that Wilde and Turing were both convicted of 'gross indecency'. Wilde was jailed and Turing accepted being chemically castrated in lieu of jail time. And commited suicide shortly after.

Maybe some parents in Tennesee wouldn't want their children to know about that. In context of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Just to note that Wilde and Turing were both convicted of 'gross indecency'. Wilde was jailed and Turing accepted being chemically castrated in lieu of jail time. And commited suicide shortly after.

Maybe some parents in Tennesee wouldn't want their children to know about that. In context of course.

They spend a lot of time on Wilde on Turing in your high school?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They spend a lot of time on Wilde on Turing in your high school?

Computer science didn't exists as a subject so I wouldn't have known about Turing in that respect. And we didn't do a comprehensive history of the Second World War so he wouldn't have been a name familar to me. And I can't recall covering anything Wilde did in English Lit.

Incidentally, homosexuality was still illegal when I was in school.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Computer science didn't exists as a subject so I wouldn't have known about Turing in that respect. And we didn't do a comprehensive history of the Second World War so he wouldn't have been a name familar to me. And I can't recall covering anything Wilde did in English Lit.

Yeah I think the Turing test was mentioned but I never got anything extensive on him either.

Incidentally, homosexuality was still illegal when I was in school.

Yeesh.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

If they're teaching a history lesson that makes reference to Turing during WW2, the focus should be on his accomplishments and contributions. Why should his sexual preferences be the focus?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
If they're teaching a history lesson that makes reference to Turing during WW2, the focus should be on his accomplishments and contributions. Why should his sexual preferences be the focus?

It does not have to be the focus, but the law makes it illegal to mention it (without 30 days notice). (Assuming, as you seem to do, that it is not relevant to the topic.)

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It does not have to be the focus, but the law makes it illegal to mention it (without 30 days notice). (Assuming, as you seem to do, that it is not relevant to the topic.)

As you mentioned in your exemption point #2:

It would appear that mentioning it wouldn't be illegal. However, I could see how focusing on it, such as the teacher making it point to say something like, "See children? Gay people have made contributions in history, so if you're gay, you share something with Turing!" would be a cause for concern.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

They wouldn't be. The focus would be on the way he was treated after dedicating so much of himself to help save the country and how he died.

He was given a posthumous pardon in 2013.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
They wouldn't be. The focus would be on the way he was treated after dedicating so much of himself to help save the country and how he died.

He was given a posthumous pardon in 2013.

The bill referenced in the OP seems to be about material that is focused on sexual orientation. The summary section not posted in the OP is more specific: (Bolding mine to highlight references)

"A parent or guardian who wishes to excuse the parent's or guardian's student from any portion of a sexual orientation curriculum or gender identity curriculum must submit a request in writing to the student's instructor, school counselor, or principal. A parent or guardian who wishes to excuse the parent's or guardian's student from all portions of a sexual orientation curriculum or gender identity curriculum must submit a request in writing to the student's principal. An LEA or public charter school will be prohibited from penalizing a student who is excused from any or all portions of a sexual orientation curriculum or gender identity curriculum for grading purposes if the excused student satisfactorily performs an alternative lesson that is assigned to the student."

It would seem that mentioning how or why Turing died would not be a violation.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The Importance of Being Earnest was the school play one year.

We read The Ballad of Reading Gaol in 12th grade. It was a favorite of our English lit teacher. But as best I recall, the reason Wilde was in prison was kinda glossed over.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.