• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

telling fiancé about OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaygrl

Jun 13, 2008
✟7,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I can't believe this... I gave my fiancé the Dr. Phillipson article about HOCD and ROCD, and he read it and didn't freak out. I was convinced that he would think I was weird, or that he'd want to break up with me. That would be especially bad, considering our first pre-marriage counselling appt is tonight! LOL. I guess I live in my head so much, and think my thoughts are so weird, that others would think the same way. However, he just took it in stride and it doesn't change the way he thinks about me. I am just floored and humbled by this man! I feel very blessed.

ObsessedButBlessed

Jul 15, 2007
✟15,631.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That is wonderful! I'm so glad he understands.

If it is any encouragement at all, I got married with SEVERE relationship obsessions. Like I was panicking walking down the aisle. It has been 1.5 years since the wedding and while I still struggle with OCD at times, I would not trade my marriage for the world. It was the best decision. I'm so glad OCD didn't talk me out of it!

Upvote 0

Jaygrl

Jun 13, 2008
✟7,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I did spike today, though, at him saying s**t under his breath while listening to a story his gym friends told about their son who almost burned their kitchen down. I withdrew and got sad, and he noticed. Now, this is the first time he's said this around me, although he has said "oh god" in the past and that really bugs me. I tried to explain to him about my spike, but I don't want to go into details, because that would be "enabling" me, I feel, and I don't want that at all! Not sure what to do... what is reasonable to expect from a fallen human being, even a Christian, in terms of language? I don't really want to seek reassurance on this, because that's a compulsion of mine... but I wish I knew what was acceptable, and what is judging and obsessional. I keep thinking of 1 Corinthians 13, about love not keeping a record of wrongs (which I definitely do)... but am I allowed to point out behaviour I find unacceptable? I am just worried if I do that, that spike will ease, but something else will take over!! Sigh.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.