Telling A Child About Religion At A Young Age??

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I don't have all the answers. As soon as you say you're Christian and religious and make some kind of statement people want them and I just don't have them. I'm fighting the curve just like the rest of them.

I hear you.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟52,720.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
they say that billy graham had a goal of saving 15 people a day. Smith Wigglesworth wanted to save 1 person a day. They were extremely active in sharing their beliefs, and its a hard thing to consider

Well I just prayed for you that God would help you figure things out and give you peace and direction. I could use that prayer, too.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
MountainofGod1 said:
exactly what scripture should be preached then? do you know how many kids there are of all ages today that don't believe in any hell? Why was it wrong to tell them the truth, because it made them cry? Because you don't believe they understood the truth ?

Yeah it seems like a bad idea to make a kid cry and traumatize them. There is however a strong tendency not to tell them the truth at all and this causes a great deal of long term damage.

in the end people parent their kids how they want but wonder how things went so wrong when they seemed to be going so right. People underestimate what kids can understand.

First off, I am a Christian. I am Lutheran, and a confessional one. That means I believe that salvation is a result of the Holy Spirit working and developing faith after the gospel is presented and is not rejected by the person the Holy Spirit is working on.

Preach the GOSPEL. The FULL GOSPEL is Jesus coming to earth to die to take away the sins of the whole world, to both fulfill prophecy and create a new and perfect covenant because we would never be good enough for the old one. The FULL gospel also would recognize our sinful condition and the need for Jesus as our savior. Read my previous post on how to address the gospel with a child.

What kind of Christian thinks they can get to heaven by being good, yet not believing that Christ died to save them from their sins and created a way for them to be sanctified and justified? A Christian without Christ is an "Ian". If you tell people they can get to heaven by being a good person SHAME ON YOU. Following the law can't save you, it can only condemn you. That is precisely WHY Jesus had to die. Because the law of the old covenant was imperfect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Frankarmendariz. Jesus told us, while on Earth, " unless ye believe as a child, ye will not enter God`s Kingdom." Jesus meant that straightforward and in simple language. What does one tell a child about Religion?? Simply and truthfully: " Jesus loves you." It is Love what God wants from us, freely given and absolutely selfless. As we grow up, we will realise that many people do not love, and we change slowly, but surly. God is our Heavenly Father, and one day we hope to return to Him. God is Love, and God wants loving children/sons and daughters to live with Him for ever. In Matthew, chapter 22, verses 35-40, Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The second is like it: Love our neighbour as ourselves." Then Jesus tells us: " On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." God wants our Love, in everything we say, or do, or advocate. We have to learn again, what we have lost in our childhood, only now on a much bigger scale. I say this with love, Frank. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Frankarmendariz said:
this happened years ago, i was around the age of 12 so i myself was still ignorant, i am almost an adult now, the kid i told this to is now about the age of ten (my mother ran into his dad a few weeks ago) i figure that the parents already explained to their son about God.

I realize you were young...I am writing in regards to the people in here questioning my beliefs.

Upvote 0

whale8jonah

Aug 18, 2011
Heerde, Holland
Visit site
✟7,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you did a wonderful thing in trying to reach out to a young child...although I agree with previous posters that perhaps concentrating on the love of God would have been a better thing to focus on.

In practice, it's often easier to run towards something (the love of God) rather to run away from something (fear of hell).

Good luck for next time! ;) And as in all things...think about how Jesus would do it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 11, 2011
✟15,855.00
Faith
Anabaptist
First off, I am a Christian. I am Lutheran, and a confessional one. That means I believe that salvation is a result of the Holy Spirit working and developing faith after the gospel is presented and is not rejected by the person the Holy Spirit is working on.

Preach the GOSPEL. The FULL GOSPEL is Jesus coming to earth to die to take away the sins of the whole world, to both fulfill prophecy and create a new and perfect covenant because we would never be good enough for the old one. The FULL gospel also would recognize our sinful condition and the need for Jesus as our savior. Read my previous post on how to address the gospel with a child.

What kind of Christian thinks they can get to heaven by being good, yet not believing that Christ died to save them from their sins and created a way for them to be sanctified and justified? A Christian without Christ is an "Ian". If you tell people they can get to heaven by being a good person SHAME ON YOU. Following the law can't save you, it can only condemn you. That is precisely WHY Jesus had to die. Because the law of the old covenant was imperfect.

Well I'm sure this is what they teach at your church, I've been in the more formal denominational services. I won't dismiss it or condemn it but there is only one bible and I tend to shrug off teachings of man.

And since we have only one bible, one tenet, I preach on that and really I can select anything I want in it to preach and not be in the wrong. It may have an unpredictable or even undesirable effect to the human eye and ear, but that doesn't mean we didn't preach the gospel

some do it out of hate and to cause strife, but Paul even congratulated them.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't follow the teachings of Luther. I follow the teachings of the Bible and the reinforcements of which can be found in the teaching of Luther. He's the one who taught Sola Scriptura after all.

All I'm saying is if you are TRULY preaching, you are including Christ. Without him, we can't be saved and there is no good news.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sola Scripture: The Bible is God's inerrant and infallible Word, in which He reveals His Law and His Gospel of salvation in Jesus Christ. It is the sole rule and norm for Christian doctrine.

Christ is the Word, that's true, but the Word of God is the WHOLE Bible.

If you preach bits and pieces of the Bible, you aren't giving a complete truth. That's where the issue is. If you only preached the Old Testament and left out the New Testament, how would someone come to know Christ? Yes, they might be able to see that there is a prophecy of a Messiah, but they don't know who he was or what he did exactly. The ministry of Christ is very important. That's my point. If you want an example, just look at the Jewish people as a whole, who most definitely have parts of the Bible but are still utterly lost.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2011
✟15,855.00
Faith
Anabaptist
so you are preaching to a kid who has an attention span of 5 seconds

you reach for scripture and choose which ones you think he ought to hear. They are all legal, all of them can be preached

and yet you are telling us that the kid shouldn't hear certain parts first. How many times did the apostles begin by telling the pharisees first that they were going to hell?

almost every opportunity they had.

Upvote 0