United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 26
8 Lord, I love the house where you live,
the place where your glory dwells.

Tell me about this place. What do we know? What can we know at present about it?
Great question! The earthy Sanctuary in the old Testament is a replica of the Heavenly Sanctuary. Everything in the Temple is symbolic and is whats needed for salvation.

Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary Psalm 77:13

What is interesting when you get to the book of Revelation it is all about the sanctuary.

In the Old Testament, when a person sinned one would take a lamb without blemish and take it to the courtyard as a sacrifice for sins. The first piece of furniture is the the Altar or Burnt Offerings Exodus 28:1-8. This points us to Christ on the cross. His sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins.

The next piece of furniture is the laver.
The laver had water in it and the priests used it wash their feet and hands. Exodus 30:18-20. This represents baptism. Your sins washed away and you are a new creature in Christ.

After the priests were cleansed at the laver they entered the sanctuary.
There are 3 pieces of furniture in the first compartment (the Holy Place) and represents our sanctification process.
-to the north is the showbread Exodus 25:23-30- there were two stacks of bread 6 each representing the 66 books in the Bible and the “Word of God” And our walk with Jesus through the Holy Bible. “I am the living bread” John 6:51. Two things to note the showbread was changed out every Sabbath Leviticus 24:7-8 and its where satan wants to exalt his throne above the stars of God on the north Isaiah 14:13 above the Word of God that was priest changed every Sabbath.
-to the left side is the gold lampstand Exodus 25:31-40. The light represents giving our time to God and letting our light shine for Jesus. The Word is a lamp to our feet Psalm 119:105

-last is the altar of incense (Exodus 31:1. 37:25, 40:5 ) which represents our prayers. Jesus not only forgives our sins He continues to guide us (convict us of our sins and when we stumble we have a Mediator- Christ and the Holy Spirit will guide us in all Truth if we allow)

There is a veil separating the Holy from the Most Holy Place.

In the Most Holy- two cherubim angles stood over the ark of the covenant. (Exodus 25:10-122). Inside the ark of the covenant is a jar of manna, Aaron’s rod and two tables of stone engraved with God’s own finger Exodus 31:18, the Ten Commandments.

The manna came from Exodus which fell every day of the week except the Sabbath. This represents the Word of God- I am the Bread of Life John 6:48. The manna was gathered every morning before sunrise - we should fill ourselves every morning with the Word of God before we get busy as the sun would melt the manna. We should gather twice (double portion) as much manna on the preparation day (Friday) to last for the Sabbath. The manna is on the inside of the ark representing the Word is in our hearts and minds. Ezekiel 36:26, Jeremiah 31:33 Hebrews 8:10

Aaron’s rod that budded represents the twelve tribes of Israel and Moses wrote there names on them. They each took their rods to the tabernacle of meeting. The rod of Levi with Aaron’s name on it that not only budded but had almonds on it. (The full story is in Numbers 16-17)

Numbers 17:10 And the LORD said to Moses, “Bring Aaron’s rod back before the Testimony, to be kept as a sign against the rebels, that you may put their complaints away from Me, lest they die.”

This is a perpetual sign that we do not have the right to make up our own rules or change God’s rules (His laws).

Next we have God’s Ten Commandments which is God’s perfect law. Psalm 19:7 God’ will for us. Psalm 40:8. The ark of the covenant is also revealed in heaven Revelation 11:19

There is much more to the sanctuary and I highly recommend this series which goes step by step through Revelation like you have never heard and shows exactly where we are in Revelation as it relates to the sanctuary. I recommend having your bible open when going through this series. They are about 30 minutes each and after Revelation they go through the book of Daniel as it is a parallel book.

Salvation in Symbols & Signs”

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Great question! The Sanctuary where God dwells in heaven is a replica of the Temple created in the Old Testament. Everything in the Temple is symbolic and is whats needed for salvation.

Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary Psalm 77:13

What is interesting when you get to the book of Revelation it is all about the sanctuary.

I’m short for time but I will update this later to go over the furniture in the sanctuary and its symbolic meaning and the holy and Most Holy of God’s Temple.
That verse (Psalm 77:13) is suggestive of a literal meaning. Very interesting.

After your descriptions of the Temple, it would be interesting to me to see how all the furniture and symbolism and maybe even the rituals are symbolic of the Real Thing in Heaven.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 26

Tell me about this place. What do we know? What can we know at present about it?

Psalms usually refers to the temple on earth.

Psa 5:7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.

But the temple is like the tabernacle in the wilderness. It was made based on the pattern of the heavenly house:

Exo 25:9 “According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it...

Exo 25:40 “And see to it that you make them according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.

There are glimpses of it throughout the Revelation. See Rev 4:2-11.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Psalm 26

Yes technically as others have mentioned it is about stuff like the tabernacle, although a lot of times things like this also is also about more metaphysical as far as believers. The passage itself talks about a literal sacred space on earth, while believers in their everyday walk are also suppose to be that sort of thing personally as well.

Love is the kingdom which the Lord mystically promised to the disciples, when he said they would eat in his kingdom: "You shall eat and drink at my table in my kingdom" (Luke 20:30). What should they eat and drink, if not of Love?

When we have reached love, we have reached God and our journey is complete. We have crossed over to the island that lies beyond the world, where are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit: to whom be glory and dominion. May God make us worthy to fear and to love Him. Amen

Saint Isaac the Syrian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Temple was not yet built when David wrote the Psalms,
and drew up the plans for the Temple in accordance with
the divine vision.

1 Chronicles 28:
Then David gave his son Solomon the plans
for the vestibule, its houses, its treasuries, its upper
chambers, its inner chambers, and the place of the mercy seat;
12 and the plans for all that he had by the Spirit, of
the courts of the house of the Lord, of all the chambers all around, of the treasuries of the house of God, and of the
treasuries for the dedicated things;
13 also for the division of the priests and the Levites,
for all the work of the service of the house of the Lord,
and for all the articles of service in the house of the Lord.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 26

Humans that only Christ can prepare.
Acts.7

1. [48] Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Temple was not yet built when David wrote the Psalms,
and drew up the plans for the Temple in accordance with
the divine vision.

1 Chronicles 28:
Then David gave his son Solomon the plans
for the vestibule, its houses, its treasuries, its upper
chambers, its inner chambers, and the place of the mercy seat;
12 and the plans for all that he had by the Spirit, of
the courts of the house of the Lord, of all the chambers all around, of the treasuries of the house of God, and of the
treasuries for the dedicated things;
13 also for the division of the priests and the Levites,
for all the work of the service of the house of the Lord,
and for all the articles of service in the house of the Lord.

David did not write all of the Psalms. They were written over a period of hundreds of years

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That verse (Psalm 77:13) is suggestive of a literal meaning. Very interesting.

After your descriptions of the Temple, it would be interesting to me to see how all the furniture and symbolism and maybe even the rituals are symbolic of the Real Thing in Heaven.

Yes, Psalm 77:13 is very literal. I updated my post and its really brief but the Sanctuary and what we can learn from it is very powerful.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Psa 5:7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.

But the temple is like the tabernacle in the wilderness. It was made based on the pattern of the heavenly house:

Exo 25:9 “According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it...

Exo 25:40 “And see to it that you make them according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.

There are glimpses of it throughout the Revelation. See Rev 4:2-11.
I like the sound of that. You seem to imply that the earthly model is patterned off the REAL one in Heaven, and not the other way around.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes technically as others have mentioned it is about stuff like the tabernacle, although a lot of times things like this also is also about more metaphysical as far as believers. The passage itself talks about a literal sacred space on earth, while believers in their everyday walk are also suppose to be that sort of thing personally as well.

Love is the kingdom which the Lord mystically promised to the disciples, when he said they would eat in his kingdom: "You shall eat and drink at my table in my kingdom" (Luke 20:30). What should they eat and drink, if not of Love?

When we have reached love, we have reached God and our journey is complete. We have crossed over to the island that lies beyond the world, where are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit: to whom be glory and dominion. May God make us worthy to fear and to love Him. Amen

Saint Isaac the Syrian
Do you see implications as to what the Heavenly Dwelling Place of God is?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Humans that only Christ can prepare.
Acts.7

1. [48] Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Amen that!

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I like the sound of that. You seem to imply that the earthly model is patterned off the REAL one in Heaven, and not the other way around.
Yes, the earthy sanctuary is a replica of the Heavenly Sanctuary. I accidentally worded it backwards in my post but updated it.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 26

At the time Psalm was written this was not available.
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
Now that God dwells in the beliver, His Kingdom lives in the Body of Christ where His Glory dwells. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you see implications as to what the Heavenly Dwelling Place of God is?

In the exact quotation David is speaking about the Tabernacle. As Sabbath Blessings sort of said in her own way, that place was basically patterned after the sanctuary in heaven.

Now this is a more important point, that is worth pointing out, some people criticize sacramental worship coming out of churches like the Eastern Orthodox, old Catholicism, etc. because of how ornate, ritualistic it is etc. harkening back to the temple and tabernacle. They do so because often assume that the temple was just purely about setting up types and shadows of Christ. But we operate the way we do because we see it as being much more than just that albeit that sort of things was indeed very important. Basically Heaven and worship "in spirit in Truth" as depicted in the scenes in Revelation reflects a temple motif, albeit without the shedding of blood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Heaven, Heaven of Heavens, Dimensional Doors & Gates, Where God Lives

The Bible speaks of 3 different heavens.

Two are in our universe. Another is where God dwells.

Gen 1:1 says that God created "the heavens" .

The 1st heaven is the atmosphere around the earth. Where birds & planes fly.

The 2nd heaven is moon, stars, galaxies etc.

The 3rd heaven is where Gods throne is. And exists outside of our observable universe.

2 Cor 2:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth such an one caught up to """the third heaven""".

Deut 10:14 Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the LORD'S thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is.

1 Kgs 8:27 But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?

Ps 11:4 The LORD is in his holy temple, the LORD'S throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men

Ps 24:7 Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

God Doesn't Live Inside Our Observable Universe:

How could our universe be created from within. Within means already there. So, clearly, God the creator, doesn't live within our observable universe.

Scriptures make it clear He does have the ability to operate inside it.

There was no TIME or MATTER as we know it, when God gave the command "LIGHT BE".

The fact He exists in a dimension/realm outside of time. Answers a much-asked question. Who created God? Only """within the confines of TIME""" is a beginning or an end necessary.

Jacob's Ladder leads to a dimensional gate/door that opens into the 3rd heaven. Gen 28:11-13, 16-18

One day soon, God will again open that gate & we will see:

Rev 4:1 (A) After this I looked, and, behold, a door [was] opened in heaven:

Rev 21:2 And I saw the holy city, ""the new (Heavenly) Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God"", all arrayed like a bride beautified and adorned for her husband;

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Psalm 26

I see God's dwelling place as the spirit of the believer, whose heart he has turned to himself by his power and love,
whom God regards as his own personal inheritance (Psalms 33:12; Ephesians 1:18), and
his treasured possession (Exodus 19:5; Deuteronomy 7:6, Deuteronomy 26:18; Malachi 3:17; Zephaniah 3:17; Isaiah 62:5; Psalms 149:4; Song of Songs).

All I can say about is 1 Corinthians 2:9-10. . .that God has revealed to us by his Spirit what
"No eye has seen,
nor ear has heard, no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"
--Isaiah 64:4

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Exodus 25:8-9
8 And let them make Me a miqdash-sanctuary, that I may dwell among them,
9 according to all that I show you: the pattern of the Mishkan-Tabernacle, and the pattern of all its vessels, thus shall you make it.

Ezekiel 11:16
16 Therefore say, Thus says the Lord GOD, Although I have cast them far off among the nations, and although I have scattered them among the lands: yet will I be to them for a little miqdash-sanctuary in the lands where they have gone.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
At the time Psalm was written this was not available.
Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
Now that God dwells in the beliver, His Kingdom lives in the Body of Christ where His Glory dwells. Blessings.
I'm wondering why you tell me it was not available. Of course it wasn't said, yet. But what is the relevance of that as to the place that Psalm mentions?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering why you tell me it was not available. Of course it wasn't said, yet. But what is the relevance of that as to the place that Psalm mentions?
The Holy Spirt did not dwell in anyone until Jesus Christ of Nazareth released Him on the Day of Pentecost.

Upvote 0