✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Teenage pregnancies have almost halved in England thanks to sex education
Rates of teenage pregnancy in some parts of England fell by almost half after the Teenage Pregnancy Strategy (TPS) was introduced in 1999 by the then Labour government, a study has found.

Lead researcher Professor Kaye Wellings, from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, said: “England’s under-18 conception rate has fallen to its lowest level since the 1970s.
Apparently, confronting difficult topics is more effective than putting your fingers in your ears and humming. Who knew?

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Common sense really.
Though I once heard an argument against sex education in school put forth by a parent group opposed that went like this: If we teach them about sex they'll want to have it.

I don't think those good people remember what it was like to be a raging hormone teen. Teaching about sex doesn't make a teen want to have sex. Their hormones are ready to jump anything. Educating that teen about the perils of unprotected sex saves the life that's just started feeling frisky.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have sex education in schools now, and the pregnancy rate went UP since I was in school (they had it then too). I don't think this has anything to do with sex education, but has many factors involved.
Dunno where you live, but the US as a whole has seen a steady decline in the teen pregnancy rate since the early 90s (as has a lot of other undesirable teen behavior). In fact, it's lower than any point since records have been kept.

While the teen pregnancy rate has been dropping across the board, it seems comprehensive sex ed has shown to be effective at changing risky teen sexual behavior. https://www.guttmacher.org/about/gpr/2014/09/what-behind-declines-teen-pregnancy-rates

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
We have sex education in schools now, and the pregnancy rate went UP since I was in school (they had it then too). I don't think this has anything to do with sex education, but has many factors involved.
When were you in school Hannah?

The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy reckons "Between 1991 and 2014, the teen birth rate declined by an impressive 61% nationwide. It has declined in all 50 states and among all racial/ethnic groups."
source

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we should give credit to pioneers in sex education, like Bristol Palin.

original.gif

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The findings, published in The Lancet medical journal, show that after peaking in 1998 the under-18 conception rate declined at a moderate pace until 2006, when it began to fall more sharply.

I wonder what happened in 2006.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I wonder what happened in 2006.

Interesting question. If it really was a sharp decline starting at that point one would suspect something in 2005 or 2006 occurred. If not quite as sharp as one thinks it could just be the combination of really being fully implemented at all schools and perhaps fine tuning the curriculum. But even if just the last finding out just what the fine tuning was could be rather helpful.

Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟138,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you told that to your Catholic leaders? They haven't yet seemed to get a clue. It only took Zika virus, which can permanently deform the brains of babies, for Pope Francis to 'open up' to the idea of changing the Church's stance on the matter in just this specific context; certainly not across the board to also reduce pregnancies.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Common sense really.
Though I once heard an argument against sex education in school put forth by a parent group opposed that went like this: If we teach them about sex they'll want to have it.
I suppose these are the people who truly believe humans aren't animals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have you told that to your Catholic leaders? They haven't yet seemed to get a clue. It only took Zika virus, which can permanently deform the brains of babies, for Pope Francis to 'open up' to the idea of changing the Church's stance on the matter in just this specific context; certainly not across the board to also reduce pregnancies.
I did not comment upon the morality of contraception. Simply that I agree that teaching sex ed can reduce unwanted pregnancies.

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I suppose these are the people who truly believe humans aren't animals.
I'd hope so. Though there are those that argue in matters of abortion that a baby isn't a human being. That right there puts the animal issue into question for people like that.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'd hope so. Though there are those that argue in matters of abortion that a baby isn't a human being. That right there puts the animal issue into question for people like that.

So are they plants or minerals?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
So are they plants or minerals?

Is an acorn a Oak tree? In parts of southern California there are laws in place to preserve Oak trees. Do those laws now make someone who rakes up the acorns under an Oak on their property guilty of destroying hundreds of Oak trees?

Please note that an acorn has the full genetic material to become a tree and has a far better chance to become a tree if simply left alone than a human infant (already born) has of surviving if just left alone. (That instance regarding a wolf was a one shot deal!)

Upvote 0