Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Remains to be seen. Obama has consolidated so much presidential power that the next president will be able to do things considered unthinkable just a few years ago.

Not really. There are plenty of presidents who issued more executive orders than Obama. In fact, he has issued fewer executive orders than any president since Grover Cleveland.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The irony is that the rich don't actually pay taxes...they pass the cost on to the consumer.

Might be true of corporate taxes, but not income taxes.

Yes it would. However, most government revenue does not come from the Income Tax.

It does if you remove FICA taxes from the picture.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
...After first doubling the deficit. In 2008 the deficit was $459 Billion. In 2009, a combination of Obama and Bush budgets the combined deficit was $1.413 Trillion, reduced to $744 Billion in 2014, which was an increase from $680 Billion in 2013.

The 2009 budget was all Bush's since it was passed well before Obama took office. I don't know where you got your figure for 2014 from but the budget deficit that year was $483 billion barely over the 2008 budget deficit. And keep in mind that the figures for the Bush Administration are misleading because he did not include war expenses in the budget. Obama put them back in. In any case the budget deficit for 2015 is $439 billion, 20 billion less than the deficit cited for 2008.

The 2014 figure is $185 Billion higher than Bush's last year acting alone.

Except that figure is wrong.

Source:https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/Historicals/ Check out the charts for yourself, it takes a lot of math to come up with the deficit figures.

Just did. It says 484 billion for 2014, not 744 billion.

As for 12.8 million new jobs, i have to wonder who is taking such jobs, because the labour force participation rate has not been as low since the early days of the Carter Administration, which was in recession inherited from the Nixon/Ford administration.

That's because us baby boomers are retiring. The labor participation rate is likely to be low for the next couple of decades unless we increase immigration. Once of the consequences of OBamaCare is that we no longer have to wait until Medicare kicks in to retire.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
... and in other news this year: Ted Cruz: 'Han Solo shot first' | The Hill

Cruz confessed that he watched the latest “Star Wars” movie, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," instead of a recent Democratic presidential debate.
“We could use a few more Katniss Everdeens in the world to take on what’s wrong with Washington.”

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hate. Such a Christian value.

I haven't exactly seen warmth and love expressed toward Republicans by the Democrats either. Let's not pretend like the left is some vessel of tolerance and patience; I saw very little of it during Bush's eight years.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,095,679.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally, I have difficulty trusting a party that figures it needs to:
  • gerrymander and
  • engage in voter suppression
to win. The key to defeating Cruz in 2016 involves engaging the youth vote (much more liberal than older voters) and successfully challenging all the voter suppression laws that have been passed to prevent people of color and different ethnic backgrounds from voting.

What scares me is that people won't get their 'informercials' from Cruz himself. Instead, they'll hear commercials paid for by the Koch Brothers that say, "Hillary Clinton wants to CUT your Medicare..." without mentioning that Ted Cruz, if he had his druthers, would eliminate it entirely...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Personally, I have difficulty trusting a party that figures it needs to:
  • gerrymander and
  • engage in voter suppression
to win. The key to defeating Cruz in 2016 involves engaging the youth vote (much more liberal than older voters) and successfully challenging all the voter suppression laws that have been passed to prevent people of color and different ethnic backgrounds from voting.

What scares me is that people won't get their 'informercials' from Cruz himself. Instead, they'll hear commercials paid for by the Koch Brothers that say, "Hillary Clinton wants to CUT your Medicare..." without mentioning that Ted Cruz, if he had his druthers, would eliminate it entirely...

Sure am glad the Democrat Party never engaged in gerrymandering.

Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
<Staff Edit>
We've already seen that the push for Rubio, and his disingenuous advertising, has resulted in a significant decline in his polling numbers ... so I expect either Trump or Cruz to prevail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In your opinion, do any of the present candidates, fit that description?
2016 is going to be an incredible year!
... the last year for the Obama presidency
... the last year before Hillary retires permanently
... the last year for Obamacare
... the last year for the IRS
... the last year before ISIS is destroyed

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,095,679.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Most presidents have been positive people. Most presidents have been optimists. (The exception, perhaps, being Richard Nixon).

Sometimes they're optimistic because they're ignorant of the challenges (e.g. George W. Bush). Usually they see the challenges but have the courage to face them.

Enter Ted Cruz. How does he envision America's future?

A future with 30 million uninsured (and the ensuing catastrophic layoffs and hospital closing when 30 million people stop going to the doctor's).

A future with no IRS (because of course, in a country where 47% of Americans don't pay income taxes--although they pay Social Security, property, sales, and other taxes--our income tax rates are too high.

He is pitching a "can't do" America--an America that can't do what every other industrialized nation in the world does--give its citizens universal health care. The can't do America can't improve our higher education system (which many other industrialized nations offer free). Can't do America can't keep those greedy billionaires from running the country (and paying off politicians like Cruz). Can't do America can't have the best educational system for youngsters (and and anti-science Cruz would put us at the bottom in yet another academic subject).

He presents a pessimistic view of America--an America in which Americans don't enjoy the same quality of life as Europeans, Canadians, and others--as they struggle with massive income inequality and corporate greed. Ugh!

Upvote 0