[TechCrunch] YouTube launches its counter-terrorism experiment for would-be ISIS recruits

Vyrzaharak

Jul 8, 2017
Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
✟18,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Google’s big experiment in digital counter-terrorism begins rolling out today. Collaborating with its own in-house think tank, Jigsaw, the new effort seeks to bury ISIS-related propaganda on YouTube. Now, when a potential ISIS recruit searches for known extremist content using a predefined set of keywords, they’ll instead be redirected to videos that deconstruct and confront the terrorist group. The project is called the Redirect Method.

As the Redirect Method homepage explains:

“The Redirect Method uses Adwords targeting tools and curated YouTube videos uploaded by people all around the world to confront online radicalization. It focuses on the slice of ISIS’ audience that is most susceptible to its messaging, and redirects them towards curated YouTube videos debunking ISIS recruiting themes. This open methodology was developed from interviews with ISIS defectors, respects users’ privacy and can be deployed to tackle other types of violent recruiting discourses online.”

YouTube launches its counter-terrorism experiment for would-be ISIS recruits

Maybe the western governments should take a page out from YT on how to actually combat terrorism?

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing it will not be limited to ISIS propaganda, it will be used to push their own propaganda against things they don't like. Also, ISIS speaks the truth about Islam and redirecting people to weak arguments will just make the arguments ISIS has seem even stronger. They couldn't hide the truth from these Muslims forever.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing it will not be limited to ISIS propaganda, it will be used to push their own propaganda against things they don't like. Also, ISIS speaks the truth about Islam and redirecting people to weak arguments will just make the arguments ISIS has seem even stronger. They couldn't hide the truth from these Muslims forever.
What do mean they speak the truth about Islam? I haven't heard that or about that. Please school me.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What do mean they speak the truth about Islam? I haven't heard that or about that. Please school me.
The Islam that they practice is uncompromisingly based on the words and deeds of Muhammad and this puts other Muslims in a position where they cannot condemn ISIS for their actions without condemning Muhammad in the process.

• Agree
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Islam that they practice is uncompromisingly based on the words and deeds of Muhammad and this puts other Muslims in a position where they cannot condemn ISIS for their actions without condemning Muhammad in the process.
I see what you're saying now. Very interesting observation.
Thank you.

Upvote 0