Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,009,475.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Any Catholics watch Taylor Marshall on youtube?

I do any boy, he hates Novus Ordo! Everything about it!

He is 100% for Latin masses. Everything else is just very much below par for him. He continually criticises Vatican II, the Pope and Novus Ordo! 99% of his videos concentrate on these dislikes.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

He is 100% for Latin masses. Everything else is just very much below par for him. He continually criticises Vatican II, the Pope and Novus Ordo! 99% of his videos concentrate on these dislikes.

I was really into him for quite a while, listened to pretty much everything he put out and started to read his book Infiltration. But then last Easter he lost me when he got into that row with the Gordons and Skojec and I think a few others. I just think he crossed a line, I agreed with him on some stuff but I also think his absolutism is counterproductive (at best) in a lot of cases (i.e. "If you don't pray the rosary every day you're not on the 'team'").

I'm more of a Tim Gordon fan, I think he takes a more charitable approach without sacrificing intellectual or doctrinal integrity. So when they had their fracas on Twitter last year and he tweeted some private info about Tim's brother Dave, he went too far and to me he sacrificed a lot of his cachet by going that route and not engaging in an intellectually honest conversation. Even others were calling him out on that stuff. The Gordons even tried extending an olive branch multiple times after the fact but he just blocked them and never returned their calls. Pretty immature IMO.

The whole quarrel started over his admission that he took his family to an SSPX mass for Easter because he was so mad about the bishops shutting down all the parishes, understandably, but he'd also kind of been building towards some kind of admission that he favored the SSPX for a few months.

I also learned of some intellectual dishonesty on his part when it came to presenting (I think) the some of the Vatican II documents.

I like traditionalists... Tim Gordon, Eric Sammons, Steve Skojec, Fr. Dave Nix, but Marshall takes a tack that I don't find helpful anymore.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like Tim Gordon too.

With Taylor its the continuous bashing of Vatican II, Novus Ordo and Pope Francis that annoys me.

Yeah that's the other thing, he beats a dead horse. Maybe it's just me but he seems to have gone further and further off the rails with conspiracy theories and flimsy ideas about what's going on in the Church.

Other guys take a more rational and balanced approach, they have issues with the Church like many of us do but they don't go off the rails. I don't want to say he's hateful because he's not, but he borders on the SSPX's attack dog.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟273,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I think he is legit. I never got the impressions that you are advancing.

Fornthe

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,009,475.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think he is legit. I never got the impressions that you are advancing.

Fornthe

If you watch his videos, he is forever criticising Novus Ordo, The Pope and Vatican II

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟273,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you watch his videos, he is forever criticising Novus Ordo, The Pope and Vatican II
I've seen most of his videos made over the past 12 months. He praises the Pope and Vatican when they do something right, and criticizes when they do something not right.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟159,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also learned of some intellectual dishonesty on his part when it came to presenting (I think) the some of the Vatican II documents.
I remember reading about this, though I think you're referring to Fratelli Tutti (recent encyclical by Francis). Taylor Marshall apparently complained about how despite it being such a lengthy encyclical, "God the Father" is mentioned zero times, "Jesus Christ" twice, and "Holy Spirit" twice.

The problem is, and this is the intellectual dishonesty you're probably referring to, is that even if "God the Father" appears 0 times, "God" appears 80 times. "Jesus Christ" may appear only twice, but "Jesus" appears 33. The lack of mentions of "Holy Spirit" is less deceptive but there's actually three instances of it... maybe he just wasn't counting the last one because it was part of a prayer at the end.

Critics of Taylor Marshall's argument have also pointed out that you could apply this same argument against various past papal encyclicals. "Quadragesimo Anno" has zero instances of "God the Father", zero instances of "Holy Spirit", and only two cases of "Jesus Christ." (see here)

Though maybe he did also show intellectual dishonesty when it came to Vatican II documents and what I'm talking about above is a totally separate thing. But the argument about the number of instances of "God the Father" certainly seems intellectually dishonest.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,009,475.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've seen most of his videos made over the past 12 months. He praises the Pope and Vatican when they do something right, and criticizes when they do something not right.

When, in his eyes, it is not right ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟273,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I remember reading about this, though I think you're referring to Fratelli Tutti (recent encyclical by Francis). Taylor Marshall apparently complained about how despite it being such a lengthy encyclical, "God the Father" is mentioned zero times, "Jesus Christ" twice, and "Holy Spirit" twice.

The problem is, and this is the intellectual dishonesty you're probably referring to, is that even if "God the Father" appears 0 times, "God" appears 80 times. "Jesus Christ" may appear only twice, but "Jesus" appears 33. The lack of mentions of "Holy Spirit" is less deceptive but there's actually three instances of it... maybe he just wasn't counting the last one because it was part of a prayer at the end.

Critics of Taylor Marshall's argument have also pointed out that you could apply this same argument against various past papal encyclicals. "Quadragesimo Anno" has zero instances of "God the Father", zero instances of "Holy Spirit", and only two cases of "Jesus Christ." (see here)

Though maybe he did also show intellectual dishonesty when it came to Vatican II documents and what I'm talking about above is a totally separate thing. But the argument about the number of instances of "God the Father" certainly seems intellectually dishonest.
To me, we should proclaim the Gospel boldly. For Christians God is "God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit". That should be crystal clear in any document that deals with Fraternity.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,009,475.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Of course "when in his eyes". Is there anything specific that he has criticized that you think he shouldn't have?

Novus Ordo. Vatican II.

He continually criticises both. He believes Latin masses are far superior. He has some skewed ideas regarding Vatican II.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟273,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Novus Ordo. Vatican II.

He continually criticises both. He believes Latin masses are far superior. He has some skewed ideas regarding Vatican II.
ok, do you have any specifics? Can you post a link to a video?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

No it was definitely from the Vatican II era or shortly thereafter, during Saint Paul VI's papacy. Tim Gordon was talking about it because they were discussing it together on a TNT episode. Gordon said you can go back and look at the tape, although off the top of my head I can't remember which episode it was. That Marshall misrepresented the language of a document wherein Saint Paul VI says (Muslims) "worship the one God", Marshall added the word "true" to make the document scandalously say "worship the one true God".

Intellectual and academic dishonesty at the least. It was things like that that made me skeptical of his commentary at best.

Upvote 0