Visit site
✟1,356,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sunday, December 25, 2016, 11:11 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “Amazing Grace.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read 1 Corinthians 2 (NASB).

The Power of God (vv. 1-5)

And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

So, how do we know when the teaching we are listening to comes from the wisdom of men or from the power of God? We have to test everything we hear against the Word of God, and his divine character and will, and see if it is consistent with God’s Word and with his divine character. Also, if we are truly followers of Jesus Christ, and his Spirit is living within us, if we are listening, and receptive to what the Lord wants to teach us, his Spirit within us will quicken our hearts and will let us know when something isn’t right.

In addition to this, if we are students of the Word of God, and if we know his Word, we should be able to discern when liars and deceivers, or when the naïve speak words, as though they are from God’s Word, when they are not. To check out whether or not a preacher/speaker is speaking the truth from God’s Word, we should read the scripture in context, and then compare scripture with scripture to get the full understanding of what is being taught. But, we must do this prayerfully, seeking guidance and understanding from the Holy Spirit, who will teach us all things.

The Wisdom of God (vv. 6-9)

Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory; but just as it is written,

“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
And which have not entered the heart of man,
All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”

So what is this wisdom that, if the rulers of that age had understood it, it would have prevented them from crucifying Jesus? Well, for one, it was that Jesus Christ, God incarnate, was their promised Messiah for whom they had been waiting a very long time, and for whom the vast majority of Jewish people continue to wait, because they rejected Jesus as their Messiah (Christ). Jesus is the fulfillment of the prophecies about the Messiah (Christ), who was to come. He is their Savior; their Lord God. He is their King of kings and Lord of lords. He is the one who came to save them from their sins. There is no other, no matter how long they wait. He is their ONLY Messiah.

So, what is it today, if the people truly understood it, would keep them from crucifying him all over again, by how they live their lives in opposition to him? It would be that Jesus did not die just so they could escape hell and go to heaven when they die. It would be that we can’t earn our way to heaven by good works, and that all people don’t go to heaven when they die, no matter how many good things they do on this earth. And, it would be that Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.

You see, the reason Jesus died to save us from sin was not just we could escape punishment, but so that we would live for him who died for us. He didn’t die just to save us, but to transform us. Coming to faith in Jesus Christ is not a free ride to heaven while we live like hell while we are on the earth. God does demand repentance and obedience for salvation, but he gives us the ability to repent and obey him. We don’t do this in our own flesh, but in the power of the Spirit. God’s grace to us is not a free license to continue in sin. His grace teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we wait for Christ’s return. When we believe in Jesus, we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we are resurrected with him to new lives in Christ (born again), to be lived in the power of the Spirit to Christ’s righteousness.

What all has God prepared for those who love him? He delivered us out of sin so that we would no longer walk (in lifestyle) according to our sinful nature, living to satisfy its lustful desires, but so we would conduct our lives according to the Spirit, putting to death the deeds of the flesh. Paul was called to open blinded eyes, and to turn them from darkness (sin) to light (truth, Jesus, righteousness), and from the power of Satan to God, so they might receive forgiveness of sins. This is repentance! This is what Jesus died for, to turn us from caterpillars into butterflies, i.e. metamorphosis. Sin kills, but the Spirit gives life, and he died to give us life in the Spirit!! Amen!

The Mind of Christ (vv. 10-16)

For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.

As genuine believers and followers of Jesus Christ we have the Holy Spirit of God living within us, speaking to us, counseling, correcting, teaching and encouraging us, etc. He guides us into all truth, and he lets us know when we are going astray, if we will listen, and if we will not quench the Spirit. He reveals to us all that God had planned for us from even before the world was formed. And, he leads us in the right way; in the way we should go.

He knows the mind of God; of Christ. Because God/Christ is living within us, in the person of the Holy Spirit (the 3rd person of our triune God), we have the mind of Christ. It doesn’t mean we know everything, as he knows, but that his thoughts are now within us, and we can know him and his will for our lives, and we can feel what he feels, and see what he sees – not everything, but as much as he chooses to reveal to us and we are willing to see, I believe. The Spirit living within us reveals to us God’s nature, his character and his will for us, and he shows us how to live godly and holy lives pleasing to God. But, we have to be open to hear his voice, and we have to be responsive to obey what he does show us. Many people don’t obey God, not because they don’t know how, but because they are unwilling.

Those outside of faith in Jesus Christ, including many who proclaim to know him, but who have never really been born again of the Spirit of God, don’t accept these good things God has for us, through his plan of salvation for us, because they don’t have the Spirit of God. Their minds are blinded to the truth. So, they need to have their blinded eyes opened, and be turned from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so they can receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified (made holy) by faith in Jesus Christ, their Lord. So, we need to pray for their salvation.

Amazing Grace / John Newton

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear,
And Grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come.
'Tis Grace hath brought me safe thus far
And Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His Word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

And when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess within the veil
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun.

• Winner
Reactions: Heissonear

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Romans 8 teaches those whom God foreknew in love, God has chosen them beforehand to be His people, and they are. Not that He foreknew what they would do, it is that He foreknew them as in a relationship. The elect obtain salvation and the rest remain blinded. Read 2 Corinthians 4 about those He has chosen to shine His light out from their hearts, while the rest remain blinded by the god of this world, Satan who are perishing.

27 And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover, whom He predestined, those He also called; and whom He called, those He also justified; and whom He justified, those He also glorified.

31 What then shall we say of these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay anything to the charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ who died, yea rather, who is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written: “For Thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 8 teaches those whom God foreknew in love, God has chosen them beforehand to be His people, and they are. Not that He foreknew what they would do, it is that He foreknew them as in a relationship. The elect obtain salvation and the rest remain blinded. Read 2 Corinthians 4 about those He has chosen to shine His light out from their hearts, while the rest remain blinded by the god of this world, Satan who are perishing.

27 And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover, whom He predestined, those He also called; and whom He called, those He also justified; and whom He justified, those He also glorified.

31 What then shall we say of these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay anything to the charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ who died, yea rather, who is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

36 As it is written: “For Thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.”

37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us.

38 For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39 nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” Jn. 3:16

“The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.” 2 Pet. 3:9

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matt. 28:18-20

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” Jn. 3:16

“The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.” 2 Pet. 3:9

And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matt. 28:18-20

Everyone that believes has eternal life, but that scripture does not say why they believe.
And in 2 Peter, your making a false assumption Peter is speaking to the world.
Peter speaks to the beloved elect, the church and those who will believe.
'Patient towards you', the you Peter writes to is not the world, Peter writes only to the beloved elect, read 1 Peter 1:1 . Many people falsely include the unbelieving world into the message written only to the church.

2 Peter 3New King James Version (NKJV)
God’s Promise Is Not Slack
3 Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), 2 that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, 3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.” 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. 7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any (of us) should perish but that all (of us, His elect whom He chose) should come to repentance.

Peter distinguished between these ungodly men, the scoffers, who do not and never will believe, versus those whom He has called by His name to be in His church who are His very own elect. It is for those that He patiently waits to repent, for why would God wait patiently for those He knows will never repent? This same idea of longsuffering is written into Romans 9

1 Peter 1New International Version (NIV)

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia,
2 who have been
chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

So we have Peter saying believers are,
God's elect,
Exiles, so not of the world
Have been chosen by God (elect)
By Him foreknowing them in His love
To be made holy, sanctified by a work of the Holy Spirit, not our own works
To be obedient to Christ, so to be obedient to the message of the gospel to believe in Christ
Sprinkled with His blood, so then to obtain salvation - eternal life.

Peter teaches those who God has chosen, His elect, will be obedient to the message of the gospel, and to be sprinkled with blood means they will be forgiven their sins.

Making disciples of all nations does not mean all will believe, just some.

Have you not read that it is God who builds up His church taking out of the gentiles a people who are of a chosen nation, called by His name. Which means He has called them to be part of His church. He does not call all in this same way, only those chosen are of Him.

Acts 15:16-18New King James Version (NKJV)
16 ‘After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up;
17 So that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
Says the Lord who does all these things.’

18 “Known to God from eternity are all His works.

Only those gentiles who are called by Christ are those who will believe and be saved, since He has chosen them.

1 Peter 2:7-10New International Version (NIV)

7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”[a]
8 and,

“A stone that causes people to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.”

They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.

9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Those not chosen stumble, they disobey the message which is also what they were destined for, disobedience.

Another passage on longsuffering, in this case God waits with Patience not that the wicked will repent, but for the sake of His elect who are His objects of mercy.

Romans 9
19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone that believes has eternal life, but that scripture does not say why they believe.
And in 2 Peter, your making a false assumption Peter is speaking to the world.
Peter speaks to the beloved elect, the church and those who will believe.
'Patient towards you', the you Peter writes to is not the world, Peter writes only to the beloved elect, read 1 Peter 1:1 . Many people falsely include the unbelieving world into the message written only to the church.

2 Peter 3New King James Version (NKJV)
God’s Promise Is Not Slack
3 Beloved, I now write to you this second epistle (in both of which I stir up your pure minds by way of reminder), 2 that you may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us, the apostles of the Lord and Savior, 3 knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.” 5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water, 6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water. 7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any (of us) should perish but that all (of us, His elect whom He chose) should come to repentance.

Peter distinguished between these ungodly men, the scoffers, who do not and never will believe, versus those whom He has called by His name to be in His church who are His very own elect. It is for those that He patiently waits to repent, for why would God wait patiently for those He knows will never repent? This same idea of longsuffering is written into Romans 9

1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia,
2 who have been
chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

So we have Peter saying believers are,
God's elect,
Exiles, so not of the world
Have been chosen by God (elect)
By Him foreknowing them in His love
To be made holy, sanctified by a work of the Holy Spirit, not our own works
To be obedient to Christ, so to be obedient to the message of the gospel to believe in Christ
Sprinkled with His blood, so then to obtain salvation - eternal life.

Peter teaches those who God has chosen, His elect, will be obedient to the message of the gospel, and to be sprinkled with blood means they will be forgiven their sins.

Making disciples of all nations does not mean all will believe, just some.

Have you not read that it is God who builds up His church taking out of the gentiles a people who are of a chosen nation, called by His name. Which means He has called them to be part of His church. He does not call all in this same way, only those chosen are of Him.

Acts 15:16-18New King James Version (NKJV)
16 ‘After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up;
17 So that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
Says the Lord who does all these things.’

18 “Known to God from eternity are all His works.

Only those gentiles who are called by Christ are those who will believe and be saved, since He has chosen them.

7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,

“The stone the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”[a]
8 and,

“A stone that causes people to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall.”

They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.

9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Those not chosen stumble, they disobey the message which is also what they were destined for, disobedience.

Another passage on longsuffering, in this case God waits with Patience not that the wicked will repent, but for the sake of His elect who are His objects of mercy.

Romans 9
19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

“First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.” 1 Tim. 2:1-6

“But get up and stand on your feet; for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you; rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.’” Acts 26:16-18

“Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved.” Ro. 10:1

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Ro. 5:8b). He didn’t call us because of our own righteousness or goodness. He called us because he loves us, and because of what he had planned to do in us and through us for his glory and for his purposes. It is only by his grace that we are saved, for we can’t even come to Christ unless the Father first draws us, and even the faith to believe in him is a gift from God (See: Jn. 6:44; Eph. 2:8-10). And, it is only in the power and working of God’s Holy Spirit that we are able to forsake our sinful lifestyles, be transformed (born again), and walk in the Spirit and no longer according to the flesh. Yes, we must yield control of our lives over to God. And, yes, we must cooperate with God’s work of grace in our lives, but we have nothing to boast about, because we can only be who we are in Christ by the grace of God and his great mercy towards us." Only by His Grace

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
2 Timothy 2, notice Paul's understanding is that only God's elect will actually obtain salvation, it is for the elect that he endures all things that they might be saved. You can not make scripture fight against scripture, all scripture is truth, it is just that our understanding is not enlightened into that truth. Where the bible is translated 'all', is 'pas' in the greek, and can mean some of all types. God will have some from every tribe tongue kindred nation to be with Him in heaven, but not all men are saved are they.

8 Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, 9 for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained.

10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

11 Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
we will also live with him;
12 if we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
he will also disown us;
13 if we are faithless,
he remains faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.
Dealing With False Teachers
14 Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 2, notice Paul's understanding is that only God's elect will actually obtain salvation, it is for the elect that he endures all things that they might be saved. You can not make scripture fight against scripture, all scripture is truth, it is just that our understanding is not enlightened into that truth. Where the bible is translated 'all', is 'pas' in the greek, and can mean some of all types. God will have some from every tribe tongue kindred nation to be with Him in heaven, but not all men are saved are they.

8 Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, 9 for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained.

10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

11 Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
we will also live with him;
12 if we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
he will also disown us;
13 if we are faithless,
he remains faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.
Dealing With False Teachers
14 Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.

I don't disagree with election.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is there a point you are trying to make here? Is there something specific in what I shared in the OP with which you disagree? If so, it would be helpful if you would quote the portion or portions with which you take issue, and then we can look at them biblically, if appropriate. This is not the debate section of CF, but devotions. I am sharing my devotions from my time with Christ in his Word each day. If you believe I am in error, then tell me specifically where, and I will seek the Lord and the scriptures concerning that, but I am not going to debate the doctrine of election with you. I believe the scriptures - all of them.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
Is there a point you are trying to make here? Is there something specific in what I shared in the OP with which you disagree? If so, it would be helpful if you would quote the portion or portions with which you take issue, and then we can look at them biblically, if appropriate. This is not the debate section of CF, but devotions. I am sharing my devotions from my time with Christ in his Word each day. If you believe I am in error, then tell me specifically where, and I will seek the Lord and the scriptures concerning that, but I am not going to debate the doctrine of election with you. I believe the scriptures - all of them.

Yes, I happened to notice in your post you stated this idea here...

"In addition to this, if we are students of the Word of God, and if we know his Word, we should be able to discern when liars and deceivers, or when the naïve speak words, as though they are from God’s Word, when they are not. To check out whether or not a preacher/speaker is speaking the truth from God’s Word, we should read the scripture in context, and then compare scripture with scripture to get the full understanding of what is being taught. But, we must do this prayerfully, seeking guidance and understanding from the Holy Spirit, who will teach us all things."

And since you say you are taught by the Holy Spirit, and you separate yourself from the liars and deceivers who you say speak falsely about the scripture, I decided to see how you would respond to the truth of God's electing love for those whom He has foreknown with you, to better understand the hope that is within you. There are of course many who do not know the truth and push a false gospel on these forums.

Peter is writing only to the beloved elect about their salvation, and not ungodly men who are blinded in their minds by the god of this world, read 2 Corinthians 4.

4 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not; 2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Satan can not blind the minds of those God has chosen to shine His light into their hearts, else there would be none saved ever.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I happened to notice in your post you stated this idea here...

"In addition to this, if we are students of the Word of God, and if we know his Word, we should be able to discern when liars and deceivers, or when the naïve speak words, as though they are from God’s Word, when they are not. To check out whether or not a preacher/speaker is speaking the truth from God’s Word, we should read the scripture in context, and then compare scripture with scripture to get the full understanding of what is being taught. But, we must do this prayerfully, seeking guidance and understanding from the Holy Spirit, who will teach us all things."

And since you say you are taught by the Holy Spirit, and you separate yourself from the liars and deceivers who you say speak falsely about the scripture, I decided to see how you would respond to the truth of God's electing love for those whom He has foreknown with you, to better understand the hope that is within you. There are of course many who do not know the truth and push a false gospel on these forums.

Peter is writing only to the beloved elect about their salvation, and not ungodly men who are blinded in their minds by the god of this world, read 2 Corinthians 4.

4 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not; 2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Satan can not blind the minds of those God has chosen to shine His light into their hearts, else there would be none saved ever.

All those who are truly born of the Spirit of God are taught by the Spirit. Those who do not have the Spirit can not discern what is of the Spirit: But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

But, even those who are born of the Spirit, and who are being taught by the Spirit can get things wrong, especially if they were taught wrong from infanthood, or if they were persuaded by other humans to believe a different way, or if they were convinced that they needed to make the gospel less threatening or more appealing in order to get more people in their pews. Christians can be deceived, which is why we have so many warnings in scripture about being on our guard, being watchful, etc. And, not everyone who claims to be a Christian really is one, too, including not every preacher.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All those who are truly born of the Spirit of God are taught by the Spirit. Those who do not have the Spirit can not discern what is of the Spirit: But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

But, even those who are born of the Spirit, and who are being taught by the Spirit can get things wrong, especially if they were taught wrong from infanthood, or if they were persuaded by other humans to believe a different way, or if they were convinced that they needed to make the gospel less threatening or more appealing in order to get more people in their pews. Christians can be deceived, which is why we have so many warnings in scripture about being on our guard, being watchful, etc. And, not everyone who claims to be a Christian really is one, too, including not every preacher.
Christsfreeservant:

At the beginning of the thread you mentioned Amazing Grace; which is very apt:

"'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved,
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!"

Upvote 0