✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He is not the only one. View attachment 218566
I don't think you're getting these pics from people you know. I'll bet they're internet novelties. And maybe they've been in prison, like I've mentioned. These certainly aren't typical.
TD:)

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,919.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't think you're getting these pics from people you know. I'll bet they're internet novelties. And maybe they've been in prison, like I've mentioned. These certainly aren't typical.
TD:)

I did a simple image search for "tattoos on whole body" and found page after page after page of photographs of people who have covered their entire bodies with tattoos. Some of the photos show full rear and frontal nudity, which would be quite inappropriate here. What I wonder about is why anyone would want such photos of themselves all over the internet. I am concerned about a photo of my face being on the internet, much less my naked body.

Still, as you say, these folks are rare. I have never encountered one personally, but then, I have never wanted to see if some guy's tattoo covered, exposed arms, are just the tip of a complete body tattoo. I prefer my art hanging on the walls of my house.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I wonder about is why anyone would want such photos of themselves all over the internet. I am concerned about a photo of my face being on the internet, much less my naked body.

Your face is far more identifiable than your body, but the tattoo itself is identifiable.

If they keep it covered, probably no one will know it's them in the photo.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,919.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Your face is far more identifiable than your body, but the tattoo itself is identifiable.

If they keep it covered, probably no one will know it's them in the photo.

True, but the majority of the people in these photos have included their faces for us.

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Someone asked me recently what I believe about tattoos. I’ve been a missionary for a while and have heard this a lot, so I decided to make a video about it. Just thought I would post here and get some opinions!

For some reason the video isn't playing.

Getting tattooed does make some people feel expressive and confident; whether or not there is a faith based design element, this can still be true.

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
How many of these "coming of age" folks have tatoos covering more than 20% of their body?
:)

Just my experience, it seems like from tail end of Gen X down thru Millennials, most Americans have multiple tattoos.
A poster in one of our tattoo forums mentioned the frequency of Biblical passage ink, which to me seems to going from brief, simple quotes to full-on Gettysburg Addresses covering forearms & ribs..
Another thing that kills me, when you see a Millennial woman getting elegant for a wedding, or special event, & she has a Punisher skull, or possessed/zombie porcelain doll, tattooed on her neck, etc.

• Informative
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just my experience, it seems like from tail end of Gen X down thru Millennials, most Americans have multiple tattoos.
A poster in one of our tattoo forums mentioned the frequency of Biblical passage ink, which to me seems to going from brief, simple quotes to full-on Gettysburg Addresses covering forearms & ribs..
Another thing that kills me, when you see a Millennial woman getting elegant for a wedding, or special event, & she has a Punisher skull, or possessed/zombie porcelain doll, tattooed on her neck, etc.
Hi, Sir; I guess what you say is up to a point, accurate; fact is that on occasions such as weddings when as you imply young women are likely to want to look their most elegant it is indeed likely that many of them will expect to show their ink; my wife and I were at a family wedding recently and some of the members of the bridal party showed their ink in ways that were neither unexpected nor distasteful.

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
..my wife and I were at a family wedding recently and some of the members of the bridal party showed their ink in ways that were neither unexpected nor distasteful.

Hi.. I concede taste is completely subjective.. I think it's generally unproductive to debate what is distasteful.
My point w/tattoos is: analyze the sudden widespread hysteria to get 'em (?)
If u recollect, or reference, cultural images from mid 90s (a single generation ago), tattoos on women were still extremely rare (especially exposed tattoos). Now it's completely normalized to see American women w/ink all over their bodies. Moms, professionals, high school kids, etc. I believe it has a lot to do with the demonization of traditional feminine elegance.. Essentially, cultural-Marxist' pop culture is making it seem quaint and/or weak to have a traditional female aesthetic.. Women have to keep getting more & more ghoulish ink, to stay as hip & macho as male peers.
I mean, imagine a World War 2 generation grandmother showing up for 1986 Thanksgiving w/a Punisher skull on her neck, family would've rightfully wondered about her dark (&/or self-defacing) state of mind.. now it's normal (?)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now it's completely normalized to see American women w/ink all over their bodies. Moms, professionals, high school kids, etc. I believe it has a lot to do with the demonization of traditional feminine elegance.. Essentially, cultural-Marxist' pop culture is making it seem quaint and/or weak to have a traditional female aesthetic..
Well, my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done. I'm not sure about such ink being as a result supposedly of Marxist culture... :scratch:

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it is sad that people get tattoos, especially because it is against Lev. 19:28. Skin is always much better without stains. But there is also good side on them, they tell lot about the person. Unfortunately for me, the message is always negative.

• Agree
Reactions: Babe Ruth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it is sad that people get tattoos, especially because it is against Lev. 19:28. Skin is always much better without stains. But there is also good side on them, they tell lot about the person. Unfortunately for me, the message is always negative.
It's interesting that the previous verse in Leviticus seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave? if they do, they are maybe backhandedly admitting that they are in a context of New Testament believers under grace and not under the law; that they are not Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

Negativity of message might indeed be your experience; as mentioned earlier, my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen also as a result of her willingness to have it done; such designs are proven conversation-starters. This aspect seems positive, rather than negative.

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse..
(tattoos) being as a result supposedly of Marxist culture... :scratch:

FF, Fair enough..
But I'm not really addressing a single, pleasant tattoo. I'm wondering about the widespread tattooing hysteria that has been going on since the late 90s.
Prior to that, ink usually reflected a heavy, traumatic experience..
Guys in prison gangs, veterans, outlaw bikers, etc. Ink showed they had been thru, or were going thru something that that was warping or hardening them.
So now I'm looking at entire generations getting covered in ink.. I'm wondering what is warping them. I believe it's cultural-Marxist' influences.
If u cite an uplifting Biblical tattoo to demonstrate the positive nature of/influence behind tattooing, conversely how do u interpret the Punisher & Misfits skull neck tattoos, the pentagrams, the goofy, cookie cutter Chinese letters, face tattoos, the names of out-of-wedlock kids tattooed/listed on women's arms. What influence is underwriting them (?)
Peace.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
FF, Fair enough..
But I'm not really addressing a single, pleasant tattoo. I'm wondering about the widespread tattooing hysteria that has been going on since the late 90s.
Prior to that, ink usually reflected a heavy, traumatic experience..
Guys in prison gangs, veterans, outlaw bikers, etc. Ink showed they had been thru, or were going thru something that that was warping or hardening them.
So now I'm looking at entire generations getting covered in ink.. I'm wondering what is warping them. I believe it's cultural-Marxist' influences.
If u cite an uplifting Biblical tattoo to demonstrate the positive nature of/influence behind tattooing, conversely how do u interpret the Punisher & Misfits skull neck tattoos, the pentagrams, the goofy, cookie cutter Chinese letters, face tattoos, the names of out-of-wedlock kids tattooed/listed on women's arms. What influence is underwriting them (?)
Peace.
I guess the short answer is that ppl get tattoos for a wide variety of reasons. A truly huge variety, in fact. (I guess one could almost compare getting tattoos to Mexicans crossing the US border, for example: a truly huge amount do it for a variety of reasons; one reason why one person does it does not prove or unprove the reason for others doing or not doing it.)

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting that the previous verse in Leviticus seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave?

That is difficult verse, because I don’t fully understand what it means. For example: “You shall not cut the hair on the sides of your heads”. I think that doesn’t mean that all should have long hair. And “neither shall you clip off the edge of your beard”, what is the edge of beard? Does it mean that sideburns must not be cut? Or does that only mean that you should not ruin the edge of beard, cutting is not necessary same as ruining.

But anyway, none of those should be done to gain eternal life. Eternal life is gift for righteous people.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

It's if they do, they are maybe backhandedly admitting that they are in a context of New Testament believers under grace and not under the law; that they are not Old Testament Jews in the land under the law.

Yes, not under the law, but if one loves God, he wants to live according to God’s will.

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. His commandments are not grievous.
1 John 5:3

It's Negativity of message might indeed be your experience; as mentioned earlier, my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen also as a result of her willingness to have it done; such designs are proven conversation-starters. This aspect seems positive, rather than negative.

It is nice, if it has had good effect. However, I think it is not good, because it can be used against that person, because it is against what the Bible tells. It is problematic to preach the Bible message and at the same time ignore or discount part of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums